Makin' Yogurt

Options
timpicks
timpicks Posts: 151 Member
One of my MFP friends noticed that I eat homemade yogurt a lot and asked me for the recipe. I figure that perhaps others might be interested too so here goes. I've been making yogurt for several years and really like it. It's easy, tastes great, is inexpensive, and it doesn't get any fresher.

I use a Salton yogurt maker with 6 oz. glass cups and plastic caps that also accommodates 40 oz. pyrex containers. I don't think they sell it anymore, but there are other similar products on the market. It is very low tech--just keeps the yogurt at a constant temperature so that the cultures grow. You don't absolutely need one of these but it makes it easier and you'll get more consistent results. You will also need a simple food thermometer, and as a general rule, cleanliness is important to keep from contaminating the cultures. Here are the steps:

1. Get supplies. I use skim milk and my favorite starter culture is made by Seven Star Farms. There is no magic formula here--experiment until you find something that you like. Some people like to add powdered milk, but it's not necessary. Organic is good, but again, not necessary. The more fat in the milk, the richer the yogurt but skim is fine for me.

2. Heat 1 quart of milk to between 170 and 180 degrees fahrenheit (77 and 82 C).

3. Let it cool to between 100 and 110 degrees fahrenheit (38 and 43 C) - about 30-35 minutes usually. You can cool it in the fridge if you are in a hurry but don't overcool it.

4. Add in 6 oz of plain yogurt and stir gently until it is mixed reasonably well. I reuse the last cup of yogurt from the previous batch so that's why I use 6 oz.--you can get away with just 4 oz. If you are using store bought, try to get the freshest available with a wide variety of active cultures. And of course you can use Greek yogurts but I've never liked them--too bland tasting. I've never used powdered starter cultures but some do. Not sure why.

5. Pour the mixture into jars, put on the caps, and put them in the yogurt maker.

6. The length of "cooking" time depends upon how active the cultures are. I generally cook it for about two and a half hours and then turn off the yogurt maker and let them sit overnight. That gives the yogurt a nice tang. The yogurt is done when it is no longer watery and somewhat firm. If you leave it in too long it starts to turn to curds and the whey separates at the top. It is still very edible, but I prefer it cooked less than that. You can tell when this starts to happen by a grey line appearing at the bottom of the jar and the watery whey starting to collect at the top. If you see this, just toss the jars in the fridge to stop the culture growth.

That's about it. I welcome any questions and comments, and I'm sure others here have even better ways to do it.

Replies

• rvicini
    rvicini Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Once you have your yogurt, I recommend you to drain it with a piece of cloth for a couple of days and then you will have a cream with a sour flavour called Labneh you can mix with different spices and use as a bread spray. Delish! Use that labneh with a lentil dish and prepare to be surprised!
  • Shadowcub
    Shadowcub Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you leave it in too long it starts to turn to curds and the whey separates at the top. It is still very edible, but I prefer it cooked less than that. You can tell when this starts to happen by a grey line appearing at the bottom of the jar and the watery whey starting to collect at the top. If you see this, just toss the jars in the fridge to stop the culture growth.
    Once you have your yogurt, I recommend you to drain it with a piece of cloth for a couple of days and then you will have a cream with a sour flavour called Labneh you can mix with different spices and use as a bread spray.

Can anyone tell me if either of these would produce the protein dense, "Greek Yogurt"? And if not, what -would- I need to do?
  • stella1205
    Options
    I make my own yogurt to. I put it in a cheese cloth once it's ready. It drains all the liquid and turns into Greek yogurt. Taste so much better then store bought
  • msstatz
    msstatz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I just made Greek yogurt for the first time and it turned out awesome! I made it in the oven though and I used no special equipment. I just used a bowl, a pan, a digital thermometer, coffee filters and a collandar (strainer). I used 1/2 gallon skim milk and 2.5 TBS store bought yogurt for my bacteria.
  • melfitnesspal13
    melfitnesspal13 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I just made Greek yogurt for the first time and it turned out awesome! I made it in the oven though and I used no special equipment. I just used a bowl, a pan, a digital thermometer, coffee filters and a collandar (strainer). I used 1/2 gallon skim milk and 2.5 TBS store bought yogurt for my bacteria.

Can you post your recipe and the process. Sounds easy with no yogurt maker. How do you keep it? put it in a plastic or glass container? Do you had any sugar/salt?
  • addean1
    addean1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I used to make yogurt all the time- I'll have to start again! I just use a thermos jug, and put it in a cooler half full of HOT water. Yum- never thought to strain the liquid off and make Greek style!.
  • msstatz
    msstatz Posts: 163 Member
    Options

Can you post your recipe and the process. Sounds easy with no yogurt maker. How do you keep it? put it in a plastic or glass container? Do you had any sugar/salt?

http://www.happysimpleliving.com/2011/03/06/make-your-own-homemade-greek-yogurt/

I made mine exactly like the above instructions. I store it is a covered plastic container. I did not add salt/sugar.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I make my yogurt (and make it greek-style) in my crock pot :bigsmile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/cmeirun/view/homemade-yogurt-crockpot-version-539483
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Lifting_Knitter Posts: 1,025
    Options
    If you leave it in too long it starts to turn to curds and the whey separates at the top. It is still very edible, but I prefer it cooked less than that. You can tell when this starts to happen by a grey line appearing at the bottom of the jar and the watery whey starting to collect at the top. If you see this, just toss the jars in the fridge to stop the culture growth.
    Once you have your yogurt, I recommend you to drain it with a piece of cloth for a couple of days and then you will have a cream with a sour flavour called Labneh you can mix with different spices and use as a bread spray.

Can anyone tell me if either of these would produce the protein dense, "Greek Yogurt"? And if not, what -would- I need to do?

Greek yogurt is when the whey is drained from it if I am not mistaken.

I have made my own yogurt but I always burn the bottom of my pan. :explode: maybe I am just too impatient.:ohwell:
  • chm2616
    chm2616 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I make my own, too! I pour the warm milk (& starter) into plastic containers and then place the plastic containers in a towel lined cooler. Let them sit over night and the yogurt is ready by morning! I also strain it to make it greek style! YUM YUM!
  • gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I use powdered starter because I get reliable results with it and it keeps for a long time. I don't make yogurt often enough to keep some from the last batch. I never seem to get the yogurt as thick as store-bought and it has more calories per serving when you drain off the whey since that takes away from the volume of the serving. I usually don't bother heating the milk really hot, I just heat it to the warm temp for the incubation. What is the rationale for heating pastuerized milk that hot and letting it cool? I do have a special yogurt "cooker" which is really just a small "cooler" made just for making yogurt called a "YogoTherm." Can't remember where I bought the original, but I think it was from Lehman's Non-Electric catalog. They have all kinds of supplies and equipment for canning, preserving, cheese-making, cider making and much more, if anyone is interested in that kind of thing. They also have non-electric tools and equipment for other activities as well, including genuine gas lamps. I don't know where anyone uses gas for lighting, but if anyone has it, Lehman's has the lamps and mantles.
    My uncle makes yogurt using some from the last batch, but his turns out really sour and spoiled-tasting to me. That's another reason I use the powdered culture. If anyone is interested in that, I found it at Whole Foods.
  • Shadowcub
    Options
    Okay folks. I've got another question or two....

For a vanilla flavor, I'm guessing split & scrape a vanilla bean into the milk before heating & fish it out before adding the starter?

Add fresh fruit when serving for fruit flavors.

But how about CHOCOLATE yogurt? Any suggestion as to how much coco powder to add?

Any suggestions for other flavors?

Any thoughts about adding protein powder or any other additives to the cooking process? (Besides the above mentioned vanilla.)

I've seen granola reccomended as a, well, garnish I guess. Any others out there?

Thanks in advance!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I make raw yogurt all the time! Its amazing!
  • Shadowcub
    Options
    I guess nobody is interested in flavored yogurt....

So how about calculating the nutritional information? Would it just be the sum of the ingredients divided by the net qty made (after filtering out the whey)? Or does the whey change sugars or vitamins or anything like that?
  • Shadowcub
    Options
    I called Dannon company and got the following information on the nutritional properties of the whey from yogurt: In 4 oz, the whey contains: approximately 30 cal., no fat, 1 gram protein 7 grams carbohydrates, 130 mg calcium
    Nutrition Facts for whey, link to source site below.
    Serving Size 1 cup (246g)
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories
    Calories from Fat
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat
    0.2g
    0%
    Saturated Fat
    0.1g
    1%
    Polyunsaturated Fat
    0g
    Monounsaturated Fat
    0.1g
    Cholesterol
    2.5mg
    1%
    Sodium
    118.1mg
    5%
    Potassium
    351.8mg
    10%
    Total Carbohydrate
    12.6g
    4%
    Dietary Fiber
    0g
    0%
    Sugars
    12.6g
    4%
    Protein
    1.9g
    4%
    Vitamin A
    0%
    • Vitamin C
    0%
    Calcium
    25%
    • Iron
    1%
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
    Calories: 2,000 2,500
    Total Fat Less than 65g 80g
    Sat Fat Less than 20g 25g
    Cholesterol Less than 300mg 300mg
    Potassium 2,400mg 2,400mg
    Total Carbohydrate 300g 375g
    Dietary Fiber 25g 30g

http://www.thecaloriecounter.com/Foods/100/1112/Food.aspx

I found these in the answers at http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/152309-losing-my-whey-yogurt-questions.html

They are pretty much in line with one another, so I will take the totals for the recipe, subtract out based on the amount of whey I drain off, and then divide by the number of servings for some more accurate numbers.

Oh, and for the vanilla flavor idea I posted earlier? A friend (who is a trained chef) suggested leaving the vanilla bean in and simply grind it up with a hand mixer before heating the milk and just leave it in to continue to let the milk & acid extract flavor while it ferments.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Love the idea with the vanilla bean, thanks!

I make chocolate yogurt from my plain stuff just by stirring in a tbsp or two of unsweetened cocoa. I LOVE that...it comes out thick, like a desserty pudding or mousse...

Re: the protein powder addition...I'm skeptical that it's a good idea to add when actually making the yogurt. Stirring or blending some in after the fact would probably be ok though :)
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Okay folks. I've got another question or two....

For a vanilla flavor, I'm guessing split & scrape a vanilla bean into the milk before heating & fish it out before adding the starter?

Add fresh fruit when serving for fruit flavors.

But how about CHOCOLATE yogurt? Any suggestion as to how much coco powder to add?

Any suggestions for other flavors?

Any thoughts about adding protein powder or any other additives to the cooking process? (Besides the above mentioned vanilla.)

I've seen granola reccomended as a, well, garnish I guess. Any others out there?

Thanks in advance!

Labneh is basically Greek yogurt, maybe a little thicker. I like to add 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder to 6-8 oz yogurt, and either sweeten it with vanilla or honey to taste. I also add in 1-2 Tbsp cashew, almond, or hazelnut butter with a half of a mashed banana (with the banana I don't need any additional sweetener).
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    bump for later - sounds like something I need to try!
  • Shadowcub
    Options
    I have made my own yogurt but I always burn the bottom of my pan. :explode: maybe I am just too impatient.:ohwell:
    Try the "Crockpot Method" that was linked before. Here's the link, though, so you don't have to dig for it.
    I make my yogurt (and make it greek-style) in my crock pot

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/cmeirun/view/homemade-yogurt-crockpot-version-539483
  • Shadowcub
    Options
    Okay, so I finally did it. I made some Greek-style yogurt yesterday and today. Really couldn't get much simpler.....

I have a 6 quart Crock Pot so I decided to make about a gallon of yogurt.

Ingredients
    * 1 gallon skim milk
    * 1 Mexican Vanilla Bean (from Penzeys.com)
    * 6 oz container of Plain Yogurt w/ Active Cultures

Procedure:
    * Poured milk into crock pot
    * Split, seeded & shopped the vanilla bean into 1/2 inch pieces. Added everything to the milk
    * Turned crock pot on high and set instant read thermometer for 180°F
    * About 3 hours later, alarm went off. Turned crock pot off and cracked lid.
    * Monitored thermometer until temp fell to 115°F (about another 6 hours)
    * Added plain yogurt and whisked vigorously to blend thoroughly
    * Wrapped in a half-dozen bath towels to maintain temperature
    * After 12 hours hours, temp had only dropped to about 95°F and it was yogurt with a bit of whey on top
    * Set a colander above another pot, lined with paper towels, and transferred yogurt
    * Left in fridge for another 12 hours, 1-1/2 quarts of whey had drained off leaving 2-1/2 quarts of yogurt.

Observations:
    * Soggy paper towels are difficult to separate from the yogurt. Next time I'll try cheesecloth.
    * Flavor is fairly tart w/ minimal sweetness, but there IS a vanilla flavor to it. I would only only eat plain with some sweetener.
    * Added a scoop of chocolate Slim Fast to a cup and the result was FANTASTIC!
    * Set up several cups with a half-cup of frozen blueberries each. I expect these to also be delicious, but may sweeten.

Cost:
    * $3.79 - Milk
    * $3.12 - Mexican Vanilla Bean (1/3 container @ $9.35)
    * $1.19 - Starter Yogurt (6 oz)
    * $8.10 - Total cost for 2-1/2 quarts or about $0.61 per 6 oz (I packed full cups into pint containers, though.)

All in all, not bad for a first attempt. Makes yogurt for about half the price of what I would pay in the store (not including additional flavorings). As I perfect the straining step, it'll get easier and now that I know how long it's going to take, I'll NOT start at 3 pm next time! I will try other flavors as well. Maybe some sugarless jello whisked in? Or a banana & strawberries with an immersion (stick) blender? Other flavors of Slim Fast, or protein powders?

DEFINITELY something I am going to do again!