Needing Motivation....desperately!!

Options
Re-joining myfitnesspal after several months of not participating...anyhow, I am lacking in the motivation needed to get the ball rolling! I have at least 40 lbs to lose to be at a healthy BMI! I know I need to lose, but make wrong choices continuously with my foods and meals, constantly. I have recently started back exercising 3 times a week at the Y during lunch and know I need to increase my exercise at home, i.e. the treadmill sitting in my front room folded up, but haven't made it on it to walk just 30 mins a night....what's up with that??? Closing in on the big 4-0 and want so badly to improve MYSELF!!! Any help and encouragement is appreciated!

Replies

• smilehello
    smilehello Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Christip70!

You're on the right track--welcome back! Do you have an exercise buddy? That has always been a good source of motivation for me. (Accountability always makes a huge difference. I just started myfitnesspal.com, and it's easy to want to hurry up and get fit already, right? LOL.)

Keep it small; use little goals, one day at a time. Remember, we are promised that "..As thy days, so shall thy strength be." (Deut. 33:25). We have a 24/7 Helper! =]
  • Amanda421
    Amanda421 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    ME TOO! I HAVE 50 POUNDS TO LOOSE AND HAVING A HARD TIME GETTING STARTED. SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE MADE THE FIRST STEP BY GOING TO THE Y DURING THE WEEK. FEEL *GOOD* ABOUT THAT AND LET IT HELP MOTIVATE YOU!
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Re-joining myfitnesspal after several months of not participating...anyhow, I am lacking in the motivation needed to get the ball rolling! I have at least 40 lbs to lose to be at a healthy BMI! I know I need to lose, but make wrong choices continuously with my foods and meals, constantly. I have recently started back exercising 3 times a week at the Y during lunch and know I need to increase my exercise at home, i.e. the treadmill sitting in my front room folded up, but haven't made it on it to walk just 30 mins a night....what's up with that??? Closing in on the big 4-0 and want so badly to improve MYSELF!!! Any help and encouragement is appreciated!

I got some motivation for ya :happy: Two words: SKINNY JEANS. :wink:
  • JUSTFORME2010
    JUSTFORME2010 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! This is somthing you can do if you put your mind to it.

Debbie
  • vdub88
    vdub88 Posts: 79
    Options
    I had to find something new - I had to make little promises to myself to stay motivated. I now get up in the morning before the kids are awake to excercise - there are too many distractions at night. Put a tv in front of that tredmill. I will walk for an hour watching my favorite shows - it has helped. Before it was int ejh family room and wlaking to Dora the Explorer was not that much fun. I put it in my bedroom and now I walk when i want - and watch what I want. - it has made allthe difference
  • christip70
    christip70 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I believe that is my problem...looking at the BIG picture instead of the smaller one, like an accomplishment with a smaller goal!! That really helps, I think I will refocus on that first! And I really do feel *good* about myself when I am finished with class!! It's a great feeling and I feel really bad if I don't go or have to miss for some reason. I will work on focusing in on that good feeling more now!
  • reojames
    reojames Posts: 96
    Options
    Congrats on deciding to get back at it!
    One thing that motivates me a lot is that I listen to podcasts as I workout every day. My favorite one (and most motivational) is 'Fat2Fit. They give tips and recipes and share fitness related stories. It's very interesting and entertaining. You can find them at www.fat2fitradio.com.
    Also, just thinking about entering my food and exercise on myfitnesspal keeps me inspired! Knowing that I'll have to record whatever I eat keeps my from eating too much, if any, junk.
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Exercise will certainly help but may be completely offset by bad food choices. When I started on this journey, I knew I'd need to lose almost 150 lbs. That seemed overwhelming. So, instead, I look week by week and day by day. I completed gutted my house of "bad" foods. I completely quit drinking caffeinne free diet soda ... no pop of any kind; instead I drink water, coffee, and tea. I decided I would no longer hit the fast food places. And, filled my house with healthy fresh foods that I would need to cook myself. I created a 4" x 8" slogan with 2 lines -- Eat Healthy; Get Physical. I taped it on every mirror, on the front of my refrigerator, on the door going into the garage, etc ..... as a reminder of my primary goals. I started this journey on January 1 of this year and have been doing well. One major difference is that I rarely have cravings. I truly believe it's because I cut all soda out of my life. I've found a couple of "tricks" that help when I do get a craving. When my head is screaming for chocolate, I take the long way and walk to the gas station and buy one of the little flat Giradelli squares of chocolate and eat it in 4 very small bites. That seems to be enough to satisfy that chocolate need. I'm also drinking over a gallon of water a day now. It took me a couple of months to get to this point but I find it really helps.

Good Luck with your journey; I wish you every success.
  • carolanne1972
    carolanne1972 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I stared back in June with 42lbs as my target but Im taking it 7lbs at a time. Ive lost 12lb so far and am delighted with it. Got my holiday as my motivation in 5 weeks time then will be hoping for a dress 2 sizes smaller for Christmas time. I go to a Zumba class (brilliant fun) on a Tuesday and Body Combat on a Thursday (torture but 750 calories burned per class so worth it). Joining my fitness pal was a recommendation from a friend and we really encourage each other, share food diaries etc.

You've made the start to get back on - well done you!!

Remember this saying - Nothing tastes as good as thin feels :0) x