Thinking about taking a week off?

Options
I have been at this for over 8 months now. I have lost 30 pounds, which is great, though it's really slowed down now. I currently am not lowering my cals or reworking anything until I actually stay stuck at one weight for a good few weeks or I stop seeing any changes in pics/measurements. I would rather keep my cals as high as possible and not have to kill myself at the gym (I do exercise) so this stays as sustainable as possible.
However the last couple weeks have been a bit of a struggle with my eating. In the last 10 weeks I have been over my weekly cals twice, which is actually better than I was doing before the last 10 weeks. I was going over more often before these last 10 weeks, however when I was under I had usually been under my weekly goal by around 1000 cals. Now I am eating right up to them or slightly over, this is actually why I may have slowed down a bit with my loss. My daily goal is 1800 which is 12,600 a week. However I was finishing up 1000 cals a week under which is 11,600 which means 1650 (or so) a day. So now I am generally eating about 100-150 more per day (if we averaged out the cals for the week).
I manually set my goals based on what I calculated my TDEE seemed to be, which is about 2200 cals (using a couple different TDEE cals, using moderate exercise as I have a standing job, ride my horse 5-6 times a week, and I do Ripped in 30 5 times a week) so eating 1800 seemed to be a good target for me. But maybe it is too much.... ANYWAYS like I said I am waiting for an actual stop in weight loss before I change my cals. Though looking back through my weigh ins I've only lost about 3 pounds since the beginning of April (well, I would have if I hadn't shown a gain of 1.2 pounds this week, hopefully due to TOM and fluid retention in my muscles)
HOWEVER with all that rambling aside (when I start writing things out I end up going down different thought paths haha) I was thinking about potentially taking a week off and eating at roughly maintenance (still logging and weighing everything, and doing my DVD's). Giving myself a bit of a break to hopefully let me to relax so I can get back to it. BUT I'm not sure if I want to do this, just cause I want to give in to my desire/cravings to eat and it will end up spiralling back into old habits. But if I do log and track still and have a plan then that should keep me focused too right?
For those of you that have taken a break, why did you do it? How long did you do it for? Were you able to get right back to it? Were you happy you did it?
I will be horse showing this next week(and the week after) and so I thought that this would be a good week to be a bit freer with my cals.
Sorry this is so rambling. Main question is Would you take a week off? I guess side question is, would you, if you were me, change your calorie intake goals?

Replies

• SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    If you are tracking and you have a plan, I am not sure that is actually a week off. It sounds like planned maintenance. Since you aren't really reverting back to old habits you should be good to go. Just keep logging and keep focusing on your healthy lifestyle you should be fine. I doubt you would even gain so much as a pound, you might even still lose a pound. Either way whatever happens if you get back to it after the week is up there won't be any kind of damage you can't fix with a couple of days of cutting a bit more or moving a bit more.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I'm still undecided on what I want to do. On the one hand having a week to eat freer would be a nice break, however that means my "journey" is gonna take at least a week longer (and I can't believe after losing 30 pounds how much fat I still have!). Though maybe it will help kickstart things a bit to have that break and come back to it.
    Anyone else have a thought?
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Have a week off and grtz on the 30lbs!

Here's my 2 penneth - I'm normally pretty good with my diet and the gym 4-5 times a week. I generally try and have a refeed day on a Sunday or Monday when I eat more carbs and more or less eat whatever takes my fancy within reason and have some alcohol. I have been like this since January.

Anyway this week went to pot and for reasons I need not go into here but a tonne of stress because of a house move and other things happening I've not been as strict with my diet as usual, been over my calorie limit almost every day and drunk alcohol most nights due to stress.

Anyway went to the gym today for the first time since Sunday, having missed my gym sessions during the week, was dreading it, but I had the best session in months - the HIITS were easy, barely broke a sweat and I lifted much heavier than normal on all my 5x5's. This really was a NSV and it can only be down to taking 5 days off. Also I have not put any weight on this week.

Will do it again in a months time because the weight I lifted today was real progress.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I find taking breaks from logging my meals to be great for my mental health. It keeps me from getting too obsessive.
  • broscientist
    broscientist Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Good job on your weight loss so far.

Just some question to see if we can troubleshoot your stall.

1. Do you have a food scale and weight everything you eat?
    2. Do you eat your exercise calories back from horseback ridding and ripped in 30?
  • MysticRealm
    Options
    Thank guys.

Yes, I have a scale and weigh everything.
    No I don't eat back exercise cals as I am using TDEE method and my activity is already factored in to my calorie goal.

I don't think I want to stop logging, I think I'd get too off track, but I am not crazy obsessive about my logging. I don't count every 3 cal piece of gum, or if I measure something and it's 41 grams instead of 40 grams I don't really care.

I'm also not sure if doing a maintenance week is best timed during a horse show. At horse shows I will not be home all day so will need to bring food and not sure, even with prelogging, if it'll be easy to pack precisely what I want that matches my cals. Hmm.
  • broscientist
    broscientist Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Well looks like you are doing everything right.

I think a week or 2 of maintenance might do wonders for you. You might also want to look into reverse dieting which is kind of like taking a break from your diet in hopes of boosting your metabolism a little bit.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    load up on 20lbs of ice cream and get ready for the week off.
  • JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    After 8 hard months and 30lbs lost why not? Not only would it give every last one of your muscles plenty of time to repair, it also wouldn't really hurt what progress you've already made.. nobody got fat in a week. Not to mention also jumpstarting your metabolism. I agree tho wait till after the horse show. Afterwards no shame in letting them muscles as well as mind rest. You obviously deserve it.
  • Clorfeine
    Clorfeine Posts: 18
    Options
    I went on vacation for a week, where the food was ever-present and delicious. I gained 5 lbs. I've been back home for 5 days and going back to my diet and exercise routine, I've knocked off 2-1/2 lbs. I hope I can continue and get back to my pr-vacation habits at least, and then keep going. It's not easy. I keep thinking of those delicious meals. If I CAN get back, I would think it was worth it
  • MysticRealm
    Options
    THanks guys. I'm still not totally decided. I think doing it during the horse show isn't going to be the best option. I think what I might do is just eat right up to my weekly limit (12,600) for a few weeks in a row and not care, see how the weight loss is going, then decide if I really want to try a full maintenance week.