Going on a 7 night cruise

Options
We have a cruise scheduled for next month. I am looking of any and all advice from people who have been on cruises. What worked for you? Any tips?

Right now I am thinking I will try to focus on fruit for breakfast, light lunches, and then not worry about dinner. I probably will not drink much, more for personal preference.

I want to try to make use of the gym, and will try to get as much walking in as I can.

Any other ideas?

Replies

• beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    That's more or less what I did last October/ November when we had a 2 week cruise. I gained 6 1/2 pounds and enjoyed every bite!! Took a few weeks to lose it again, but what the heck! It was fab! :-)

One tip - we didn't use the lifts on the ship - walked up and down all the stairs, every time - and counted our blessings when we saw the people who couldn't manage the stairs waiting and waiting and waiting for the lifts.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I went on a 5 night cruise in April, I just ate whatever I want, gained 7 pounds, lost it the following week. Yes you do a ton of walking. Enjoy, the food is awesome!! It will be hard to stay on your diet!! :happy:

Edit to add: Drink lots of water!!!
  • awningsewer
    Options
    I had went on a 7 day cruise and only gained 3 lbs. I got up in the morning and used the exercise room to do my workout and had a sensible breakfast. Did alot of walking during the day. On days we were at sea I did eat lunch but I would walk the ship. At night I would try to eat sensible dinner but I would eat a desser (had the sit down and be served dinner).
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    do the hi lo game...eat everything u want one day lower calories next high etc. it works!
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Fish is really awesome. Omega-3's. Whenever I go on a cruise 90% of my protein comes from fish.

But to answer your question, if you're determined not to let this vacation turn into a setback, then your environment will not affect your dieting goals. If you associate vacation with setback, then the damage is already done.

Think about it!
  • zahid222
    zahid222 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    bump for latter
  • SAGR2
    SAGR2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have a 14 night cruise booked for July and am planning to do the stairs all the time (except when dressed up for formal night as I can't really walk well in posh shoes), and to use the gym. I am also considering skipping breakfast or lunch as a regular thing. We are on Fred Olsen so we will be able to make tea in our cabin so we can avoid going to the buffet all day! I really hope I don't put on too much it has taken so long to get within a stone of a healthy weight and I really don't want to have to lose some of it all over again. I also have evening clothes that won't fit if I add half a stone so I am going to be really careful. My general plan is to hold back during the day and enjoy the dinner, but we shall see.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    ok I go to Jamaica a lot...actually i vacation a lot! and i will always see the fitness types who get only cereal and fruit at the breakfast buffet....drink a few drinks during the day on the beach, skip lunch and eat some fish and veggies at nite..so basically you can choose your intake ..it really depends on your goal here..when I go away I have fun and enjoy myself:)
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    If I am guessing correctly, this will be a once in a lifetime experience. Enjoy It and don't stress out about food. Try to be wise in choices --if possible half your plate filled with veggies, one fourth starch and one fourth meat. keep dessert to a minimum. do a lot of walking and days filled with activity. It is a vacation--relax and enjoy (do keep your goal of not overdoing somewhere in the back of your mind)
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    only take a plate of food on the buffet.
    we did a lot of walking and active excursions like climbing up dunns river falls in jamaica, cycling around key west and going out to dance on the ship at night.
    i didn't really stay away from any foods that i normally eat, but like i said i would just take a little of what looked good and only have a plate of food per meal. it is very easy to over eat on cruises especially when buffets are open all day and they have late night dining options. but as long as you don't plan on laying in bed all day it shoudl be fine. also did a lot of swimming, i think if anything i gained up to 3 lbs which was just bloating/water weight bc i was not used to eating more.
    have fun though and don't worry about it. maybe eat sensible for breakfast and lunch then enjoy the buffet for dinner and dessert. they did have a lot of vegetarian and lighter options though, including fresh fruit, eggs, dishes with veggies and beans etc so opefully it will be fine!
    what cruise are you going on?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I'm booked for a 15-day cruise in October. I plan to eat what I want and do damage control when I get home. I do plan to use the onboard gym, though, so that should help.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    If I am guessing correctly, this will be a once in a lifetime experience. Enjoy It and don't stress out about food. Try to be wise in choices --if possible half your plate filled with veggies, one fourth starch and one fourth meat. keep dessert to a minimum. do a lot of walking and days filled with activity. It is a vacation--relax and enjoy (do keep your goal of not overdoing somewhere in the back of your mind)

That is the saddest sentence I've ever read.
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    ok I go to Jamaica a lot...actually i vacation a lot! and i will always see the fitness types who get only cereal and fruit at the breakfast buffet....drink a few drinks during the day on the beach, skip lunch and eat some fish and veggies at nite..so basically you can choose your intake ..it really depends on your goal here..when I go away I have fun and enjoy myself:)

I am trying to find the happy medium, I do not want to deprive myself, so I am thinking what I need to focus on is giving up those things that I do not really value.
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options

Actually the third in a 12 month period....:blushing:
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Cruises are the BEST! Seriously, I'm so jealous right now.

I have gone on two cruises since starting my healthier lifestyle and I have not gained weight on either of them. The gym on the ship is usually really nice, so working out there was actually fun! I tried to get in just 30 minutes a day, some cardio, some strength. With everything going on during your vacation, 30 minutes of some "me time" is a really nice thing anyway! You'll also do plenty of walking around on the boat and at the places you stop. Honestly, calore burn shouldn't be much of a problem at all.

As far as food, just be sensible. I think your plan for what to eat sounds great. Personally, I would indulge even more than you - have more than just fruit for breakfast, and on cruises I drink PLENTY. But that's my personal preference! If you're satisfied with a light breakfast and lunch and then indulging a little for dinner, I think you'll be just fine :)

Have an absolute blast!! And remember, even if you do gain a pound or two... it's not the end of the world. Totally worth it for an awesome vacation :)
  • credessa
    credessa Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I did lots of fruit and salad for lunches. They also had a deli and had turkey subs or wraps. Breakfast was from room service...oatmeal and yogurt and fresh fruit. Then I enjoyed whatever for dinner. As along as you remain active you'll only have to deal with some bloating and water weight. Enjoy your trip!
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    We did a 7 day Disney cruise to Alaska last year. I didn't gain a pound during that time. However, I walked the track around the ship, used the gym (once!), did a bike ride as one of the excursions, ate lots of fish and never took the elevator. Worked for me!:smile:
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    That's more or less what I did last October/ November when we had a 2 week cruise. I gained 6 1/2 pounds and enjoyed every bite!! Took a few weeks to lose it again, but what the heck! It was fab! :-)

This ^. I gained 12 lbs on a 12 night cruise in spite of tons of walking. I don't regret a single bite. I came home and lost it again. It took time but it was worth it. Enjoy and do damage control when you get home.
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options

That is the saddest sentence I've ever read.

I have never had the opportunity to go on a cruise. I make a very low wage so expect that I never will. I have had one once in a lifetime trip, and thoroughly enjoyed it. That is life. I guess I assume trips like this are rare for most of the population and should be enjoyed. What is so sad about that?
  • Clorfeine
    Clorfeine Posts: 18
    Options
    I just got back from 7 night cruise and just had a good time. I gained 5 lbs after losing a total of 15. I immediately went back into die mode and after a few days, have lost 2-1/2 lbs of it. If I can get back and keep back, I would say that it was worth it. We do need to pamper ourselves and have a good time once in a while. Good luck, and wish me good luck as well