Need Motivation to Exercise & Ideas to Cook Lighter

Options
tahhouse
tahhouse Posts: 22 Member
Hello!

I'd like to learn from other MFP members how they incorporate exercise into their routines (I'm not exactly the boot camp type), and learn new ways to lighten things up in the kitchen.

Thanks!

Replies

• 25sherry
    25sherry Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hello! There is nothing like a nice long walk in the quiet hours of the morning or in a nature area in the afternoon, relaxes the soul and mind!!! There are numerous ways to cook lighter. #1 nothing fried. Almost anything that you normally fry can be made just as easily in the oven. Make good use of spices to change up the flavors. Good luck!
  • tahhouse
    tahhouse Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Both of those ideas sound good. :)
  • MichelleMac58
    MichelleMac58 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Do you like to dance? Then crank up the music and dance while you dust, or sweep, or fold the laundry.....just find ways to move your body and incorporate it in your daily routine.....I like walking, gardening, mowing, etc....not treadmill, jumping jacks, etc...too structured for me and I never keep it up if I start an exercise program......but exercise is important just try to make it fun.....swimming is excellent and fun!

I eat clean.....veggies and fruit almost every meal...red meat seldom...lots of fish and chicken (small portions)...no sugar, dairy (some cheese) and no wheat...(it's hard to go completely gluten free but I try). No frying in oil...oven bake when possible. I love brown rice, quinoa and sweet potatoes...all healthy and nutritous. Good Luck
  • funnybun1
    funnybun1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've started using my lunch breaks at work to get some exercise in. I use mapy my walk (the free app) to track my distance & speed and take those numbers and put it into mfp. Although the numbers are slightly different for calories burned, I try and take it with a grain of salt. I'm going to start working in some light weights in the evenings to help build some muscle too.

As for food, baked or bbq is usually better than anything fried in a pan (unless you've got one of those fancy $200 machines that uses a tbsp of oil to make fries/etc). I still like my dressings for salad and switching to fat free has definately helped (still get some extra zing but not a load of calories). Sugar free Jello is nice if you like Jello.

Smaller meals will help fight off food cravings.

My latest food favorites - Chicken/Pork tenderloin with montreal steak spice BBQ'd to perfection (no bbq sauce) & a nice big salad

Baked turkey breast made into trukey salad (6 oz turkey, 5 tbsp low fat mayo, 14 baby carrots, 1 celery stalk, 1 green onion, 1 big raddish - all chopped and mixed up) and 4 slices of bread makes for 2 meals at about a total of 650 calories. Once you start making food this way, you'll realize that you can eat quite a bit and it's actually good too. :) hope that helps. Feel free to look at my food diary if you like. I've only been tracking for a couple weeks. :smile: