Replies

• Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I just want to add something for people who are on the bottom end of the fitness scale as I was when I did my first half.

Don't be too proud. I walked 90% of my first 1/2 and I was ashamed and embarrassed at first, but in the end I'm so glad I did it. Even if yo don't run the whole damn thing, you CAN finish. Everybody who tries is ahead of that version of themselves who is sitting at home on the couch.

You have no idea how good and confident your statement has made me feel, thank you sir! I've been wanting to sign up for my first 1/2 but all I can do right now is a 5k. Now I'm going to do it!!
  • Nancy_CM
    Nancy_CM Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Fantastic information! Thanks for sharing.
  • heysarge13
    heysarge13 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'm currently training to do my first half marathon in November. I really appreciate all the tips everyone has posted and I'll be figuring them into my training program immediately.
  • ashoona
    ashoona Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This is exactly the advice I needed! I have my first half coming up in September and started my training with a 3k run today. Thanks for all the tips! I will definitely keep them in mind.
  • sweetbippy
    sweetbippy Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Bumping for all the great tips. Thanks!:smile:
  • tripletmom2004
    tripletmom2004 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Bump- signing up for half marathon in November!
  • ashoona
    ashoona Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • nataschalouise
    Options
    I just completed a half marathon, and its training.

I did:

Monday- rest
    Tuesday- 4-8mile run
    Wednesday- gym sesh including HIIT but focusing on mixture of core, leg, back exercises for strength and power.
    Thursday 4-8mile run
    Friday- gym sesh
    Saturday- rest
    Sunday- 8-10mile run

Tips I have found out during training:

- Cut all the tags off your clothes, as once you do 8miles plus this can seriously rub and cut your skin!

- Have a pair of trainers for 10k runs, and a pair for the longer runs. Feet can SERIOUSLY get sore!

- STRETCH. Its so easy after running for 2hours to sit on your butt and skip it.

-water water water water. I have had numerous of headaches due to not drinking enough water. Now that I have finished the marathon a few weeks ago, I still keep drinking the same amount. I drink around 15-20 cups a day! Although it is not ideal to some, I always carry a bottle of water with me on runs now.

-Try keeping the longer runs at night time. I tried doing some 10milers in the morning, and found that the rest of the day I was seriously slacking off, and had to go for naps.

- DO NOT eat bananas. Seriously. You will regret it.

- Only use energy gels for runs over 10 miles. They sit funny in the stomach, and are not worth the calories on a shorter run.

- On long run days, it is good to eat plenty. The main reason why I took up running!!!
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    As far as asthma and running--inhale through the nose, exhale through the mouth. I do thisy ear round, even when it's not cold. Long, deep breaths. If you are panting or feel short of breath, slow your pace. Exhaling through the mouth will force moist air into your mouth, helping you to not feel thirsty due to dry mouth.

I carry a bottle with me--good exercise for your arms, and take a good mouthfulof water every mile or so. I switch the bottle back and forth ech time I take a drink so both arms get that little workout. The bottle I carry on long runs is 32 ounces, so it's like having a weight in my hand.
  • hardlygraceful
    Options
    I did my first 10k this past March, and it was the best experience ever! It was so much fun, and having everyone cheering you on was so encouraging. I managed to finish in 53 minutes, but I did a good bit of training before hand. I definitely could have done better though, and I'm currently training for a 5k in July.
  • aanderson317
    aanderson317 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump. I'm still working my way to a 5k, but some of this still definitely applies. And I'd love to run a half.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    As far as asthma and running--inhale through the nose, exhale through the mouth. I do thisy ear round, even when it's not cold. Long, deep breaths. If you are panting or feel short of breath, slow your pace. Exhaling through the mouth will force moist air into your mouth, helping you to not feel thirsty due to dry mouth.

I carry a bottle with me--good exercise for your arms, and take a good mouthfulof water every mile or so. I switch the bottle back and forth ech time I take a drink so both arms get that little workout. The bottle I carry on long runs is 32 ounces, so it's like having a weight in my hand.

The bottle of water is what is keeping your mouth wet, not the breathing. I usually run without one (for under 10 miles). When I exhaled through my mouth, it was dry after a couple of miles. When I keep it closed and breathe in and out through my nose, the mouth stays moist.
  • Annerk1
    Options

The bottle of water is what is keeping your mouth wet, not the breathing. I usually run without one (for under 10 miles). When I exhaled through my mouth, it was dry after a couple of miles. When I keep it closed and breathe in and out through my nose, the mouth stays moist.

I disagree. I drink because Keeping hydrated when you're out in 80 degree heat is important, not because my mouth is dry.

Also I feel like I can fully exhale through my mouth. I never feel like Imcompletely empty my lungs through my nose.
  • cdhmyers
    cdhmyers Posts: 1
    Options

- Only use energy gels for runs over 10 miles. They sit funny in the stomach, and are not worth the calories on a shorter run.

This probably depends on the individual - I've eaten bananas before I run many times with no problems, and I never have problems with GU - I take it on any run 7-8 miles or longer., generally every 45 min.
  • Annerk1
    Options

This probably depends on the individual - I've eaten bananas before I run many times with no problems, and I never have problems with GU - I take it on any run 7-8 miles or longer., generally every 45 min.

Agreed. I sometimes eat half a banana before I start, I do not use GU or any other energy supplement due to allergies to some of the ingredients.
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I only ever eat bananas before I run. I haven't tried GUs or anything. I barely drink during my long runs. I try to drink enough water 2-3 hours before my long run and then go to the washroom a ton of times prior to my run.

I love the half marathon distance. Long enough to make it a challenge but it doesn't beat you down for days and weeks afterward. Ultimately, I exercise to maintain my weight loss and while I enjoy running, I know that I need to do some form of exercise most days in order to "maintain." I don't do well with rest days.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Gah. Bump. This applies. TY OP for the thread.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

I disagree. I drink because Keeping hydrated when you're out in 80 degree heat is important, not because my mouth is dry.

Also I feel like I can fully exhale through my mouth. I never feel like Imcompletely empty my lungs through my nose.

I guess the message for others is try both ways and see what your preference is. This is another one of those things where different things work for different people and we are both sure what we do makes perfect sense. :happy:
  • runnerinside13
    runnerinside13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info and encouragement