Only eating once a day between 3pm-6pm

Options
Since July 2011 I went from 256 to 151lbs. Since Feb 2013 I've gained back some weight and now I'm at 163. Since Feb I just didn't care anymore because of a lot of stress and bad experiences that have happened to me from feb 2012-feb 2013. Finally in Feb 2013 I moved back with my mom and that was the first time I had a chance to RELAX. Just lay around all day and eat eat eat. It came to a point where I was eating over 2600 cals a day and was gaining about 1-4 pounds a week. Now I'm finally back on track and have my head right after all those weeks of binging.

I have a problem though. I can't separate my calories through out the day. I always end up over eating and by the end of the week I gained another pound. I have no self control :( So all this week and last week, I have been eating 1100 - 1200 calories at one time anywhere from 3pm - 6pm. I never eat past 7pm, and if I do get bored I always chug a cup of water. I weighed myself and lose 2.2 pounds in 1 week. This is the only way I don't feel like I'm starving myself, and I like having one big meal. Will this back fire in the long run?

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    As long as you eat at a deficit from your TDEE, the weight will come off. So, if you overeat in the middle of the day, plan for it by eating less at other times (but make sure you are eating enough).
  • musicalboats
    Options
    You eat all the day's calories in one sitting?
    If it works for you I guess...

Personally, if I could only eat at one time in the day I would look like a T-Rex at an all you can eat buffet and eat anything and everything within sight, food or non food. I would get sooo hungry. And then I would overeat and be over my calories. So...

I am sure someone more educated can chime in on how it actually might effect you...

I don't understand how you say you have no self control yet have enough self control to only eat within a certain time window... that seems like a lot of self control to me...
  • MellowBlueCat
    Options
    I only have self control when I eat once a day, because I don't feel hungry or have craving for the rest of the day. If I break it up into 3-5 sitting, I feel like I'm starving myself and I want to eat everything in site >.< And I end up going 1000 calories over, and I gain 2-3 pounds by the end of the week. I hate myself =(
  • RethaCheek
    Options
    Everyone's lifestyle is different and I was a one meal a day-er for almost a decade without any health issues and maintained a low weight... then I got married, comfortable, and started eating 3 meals a day only to balloon up 75 pounds over a years time:( Now I am back to one large meal a day... sometimes a banana in the morning and a large meal mid-day ...and the weight has come back off ... at least 65 pounds of it (I joined my fitness pal to try to figure out how to lose that last 10 pounds...)

A lot of people will tell you this is an unhealthy way to do it... but I know what works for me... and I too have zero will power.
    I just think everyone is different.
  • shawnamichelle80
    Options
    I can only imagine that this is going to slow your metabolism a lot over time. You are teaching your body to store what you finally give it one time per day. I'm, of course, no expert on the subject. But I've learned a lot of really hard lessons. I am now working weekly with a nutritionist/dietician and am learning how I need to fuel my body to keep dropping pounds.

Do you work? I find it easiest to stick to my diet plan when I'm at work (because I'm not at home to get "seconds"). I take my breakfast, snacks, and lunch to work with me and ration it accordingly.

Pack meals and snacks ahead of time. Prepackaged foods are not the best for you unless it's foods that you've packaged yourself. I buy my fruits, nuts, vegetables, etc and put them into single serving bags myself. I usually do this a few days in advance, so all I have to do is toss my meals and snacks into a lunch bag and run out the door to start another busy day.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    One large meal a day is fine and falls under intermittent fasting in scientific research. Humans have been eating this way for most of history and lots of science says it's healthy for you. Yes, there is scientific research in the field of intermittent fasting. Eating once a day is what the human body was biologically made to do as when you eat, your natural instinct is to eat until you are full. Your stomach does not have a calculator in it to divide your calories into smaller portions throughout the day. Eating 5 times a day is a learned behavior that many fitness professionals preach must be done by drinking 1 full glass of water before each meal to trick your body into thinking that' it's full. Both ways work fine.

Here some general info on IF.
    http://video.pbs.org/video/2363162206/

You can ask the dietitian in the link below if you don't feel comfortable with the answer that you are getting.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/13155-ask-the-dietitian
  • MellowBlueCat
    Options
    No I don't work. I remember eating like this back when I was in middle school (2005), and lost some weight. I didn't like eating in public because adults would stare and smirk at me. I stopped eating during the day because of this and I was depressed most of the time, which kills my hunger. I guess my body is just used to this now, and it's the only thing I can stick to. :(
  • Juliesize8
    Options
    Hi I was planning to take this approach of eat between 3pm-7pm and eat my whole calorie intake between that time cause then I will feel full all night and won't exceed my calorie intake, I just wanted to know how much weight you lost doing this. Thanks
  • linalovekitty
    Options
    I maintained a healthy size 2, 118-125lb body (5'5 15% body fat) eating one meal per day. I used to eat it at lunch time around noon, about 1500cals or less/day. I even cheated on weekends and maintained. I gained weight trying to spread my cals out bc I was always starving
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I eat the majority of my calorie allowance (1000 to 1200) during the evening meal. The remainder is split between breakfast, lunch, and maybe a snack.

If eating one meal a day works for you, its fine.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I do 8:16 IF and only eat two meals a day, with no snacking. I break my fast at 11am with my biggest meal of the day (over 1,000 calories) and then I eat a slightly smaller meal at 6ish. Works great for me :)
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting... look it up.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I can only imagine that this is going to slow your metabolism a lot over time.

That's true - you can only imagine it because there is no research to back the claim up. If you don't have any insulin spiking concerns because of specific medical issues, then you can live like that. Most people like eating more times a day. In many cultures they do this at various times for religious or logistical reasons.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing, just later in the day (7pm to 11pm). It's called intermittent fasting and it's actually really good for your health. It won't "slow your metabolism" as uninformed/uneducated people claim. Meal timing and number of meals doesn't matter.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11319656

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1905998

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15085170

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8399092

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8383639

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21123467

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Im so glad u posted this topic because I kinda feel the way u do. I thought u were gonna get slammed but I see really encouraging responses. I knew a guy who lost 35 lbs eating one meal a day and he didnt gain it back after he started eating more than once. I have major issues with portion control, so to be able to eat a large meal sounds heavenly lol. And the times that I didnt get to eat lunch till late, I noticed the hunger kinda wasnt bad nor were the cravings. And I also notice that a lot of times im way less hungry when I don't eat breakfast unless I stuff myself. But if I stuff myself then I eat most of my alloted cals by breakfast!

Ok, I feel im rambling lol but this has really been on my mind. U know what? I think im gonna try it. Ok im kinda excited now :) I just didnt want to be unhealthy but reading the responses to ur post puts me more at ease about it. Good luck to us!
  • gretchygirl32
    gretchygirl32 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to this. When I try to break my eating up into smaller meals, I always go over. However, if I adopt more of a "Warrior Diet" plan (20 hour fast, 4 hour eating window), I do great. My hunger is manageable until I eat something. A big meal satisfies it, but those mini meals just make me feel so much hungrier than I was before I ate. Check out leangains.com to learn more about intermittent fasting, which is basically what you're doing.
  • gretchygirl32
    gretchygirl32 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I mentioned The Warrior Diet, but I really don't know much about it except it goes along with intermittent fasting. Here's a link if you want to learn more about it: http://practicallist.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/The-Warrior-Diet-Fat-Loss-Plan.pdf
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    That's very similar to what sumo wrestlers do. But hey, if it works for you
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Try searching for groups on Intermittent Fasting. I think as long as you're reaching your calorie goal what or when you eat doesn't really matter as long as you're eating enough.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Try searching for groups on Intermittent Fasting. I think as long as you're reaching your calorie goal what or when you eat doesn't really matter as long as you're eating enough.

Yep, someone posted a bunch of links above to support that. In the last few years, they pretty much crushed the meal timing theories with a few new studies and extensive data mining from old studies (where they were studying other things, but recorded the times of meals).

I can relate to the idea even though I usually eat 2-3 meals and one snack (fruit at night). An absolute rule (for me the big one is no workday snacks; only a light lunch and no other food during the workday) works better for some people. IMO, it is also easier to track that way.