Zumba ?

Options
Hi All

Just wandered if there were any Zumba - ers ( if thats a word lol) around. Im doing my very first class tonight and im a bit nervous. I dont really want to make a fool out of myself but i hear its really good fun. Just wandered what your views are on it all x x x

Replies

• JulieSue
    JulieSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    ohh YAY!!! i love it and have soo much fun in my classes!!!! I cant wait to hear what you think about it after tonight!!! :)) Just go and enjoy yourself!!! :))
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first class! I've been doing it religiously since Feb and LOOOOVE IT!

And just face it.. you will look silly your first few classes, but I swear you almost burn more clas in the beginning while learning the moves bc your so busy laughing at yourself! But you'll love it I swear!

It's also the best burn you can get with the best results!
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    I was nervous too but when you start you see so many others at various levels it puts you at ease. By the end of it you are paying more attention to the instructor and just having fun. There is a learning curve so don't worry about looking silly. Laugh at yourself and just keep going. It really is a fun way to exercise. Hope you enjoy yourself!
  • carolanne1972
    carolanne1972 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I go to a Zumba class on a Tuesday night and love it. Its such great fun - you will laugh all the way through the class and wont believe an hour can pass so quickly. I dont enjoy the gym environment but love Zumba and do body combay on a Thursday night.. You wont make a fool of yourself because everyone is just there dancing and having fun. Enjoy!! x
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I am a Zumba instructor in San Antonio, TX. I hope you have a great first experience doing Zumba!!!!! Just follow the instructor's lead and have fun with it. If you don't get a certain move just do your own. That is what I tell my students all the time. Also pace yourself, you know your body best so you decide the intensity. FEEL THE MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAPPY ZUMBA!! :flowerforyou:
  • terilynn21
    Options
    LOVE IT!! I was terrified to to even go to a class! A friend begged me for about 2 months. I decided to go to one and I have gone 3 nights a week for 8 weeks. I thought people would stare at me since I had no idea what I was doing but not at all. They will add new songs from time to time and noone knows what they are doing either. It is so much fun!! Getting there the first time is the hardest. Just go and have fun. I am getting my groove back and I didn't even realize I had lost it :)
  • scarletjg
    scarletjg Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Don't worry!!! Zumba is an amazingly fun class and if you're feeling self conscious just go to the back and watch everyone have more fun exercising than you've ever seen before!
  • therena
    therena Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    best class i have ever taken. It makes me want to go to the gym. I cannot wait for my next class. honestly I have been doing it since january and I still have to laugh at myself its soooo fun. Have fun
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Zumba is awesome :) I was a bit nervous going to my first class as well, but ended up loving it and now try to go at least once a week!

One thing to point out- not all zumba instructors are made equal. I find this is more true with zumba than with anything else. There is one great instructor I have had, and a couple horrible ones who had the zumba certificate to be an instructor but really didn't know what they were doing. ONe told me that zumba is basically aerobics with more arm movements...so not true! So if you happen upon a bad instructor, don't get discouraged. There should be lots of bum shaking, hips moving, and dance moves. :)
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    I always tell people who cares if people are looking at you just do it your best and have fun. I love Zumba did class this morning. It is a great fun workout. Remeber you get out of it what you put into it. So shake it and move it :-) Have fun
  • estherguas
    estherguas Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Dont be nervous just go and have a great time.. My instructor always says " If you cant do what I'm doing.. make something up" I say If you can't do what the instructor is doing just Shake your Booty...LOL

I LOVE ZUMBA!!!!
  • gandsooz
    Options
    hehehe thanks all :) One thing i can do its shake my booty !!!! Gimme some shakria and im off lol x x x
  • kristina722
    kristina722 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba too!. I have found out that all of the instructors are different though. I am a member of the YMCA and have zumba'd under 6 different instructors each one has their own twist. All is good if you are just moving. :smile:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    As a Zumba instructor, I am so happy to hear all these nice comments about Zumba!!! :drinker: I just love what I do!!!! And I am glad so many people are enjoying it while getting a great workout and as one said "getting their groove back on". :laugh: Love it!!!:laugh:

Shygal, you are so right, not all instructors are the same. Unfortunately not all follow the Zumba formula. I just hate that these instructors can give Zumba a bad reputation when they have new students and these students unfortunately don't try someone else. I always tell my students that we are all different, with different personalities and styles, and people choose what class to go to.

HAPPY ZUMBA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou: