Salt - How bad is it if your trying to lose weight?

Options
Salt!! I love it!! I enjoy it and it's so routine to shake it on!!! I'm a newbie to dieting so I'm curious if this could damage what I'm trying to accomplish!?!. Thoughts, opinions, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Salt!! I love it!! I enjoy it and it's so routine to shake it on!!! I'm a newbie to dieting so I'm curious if this could damage what I'm trying to accomplish!?!. Thoughts, opinions, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

salt retains water and can affect weight fluctuation.

salt does not affect energy balance or energy stores(Fat and muscle)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Pretty much this. It may mask actual fat loss with water retention fluctuations, but if your diet is fairly consistent the electrolytes will balance out.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Salt is not meaningful. It doesn't cause you to retain water (that's a myth but repeated all the time). Carbohydrates cause you to retain water and many foods that contain carbohydrates also contain salt! (Pretzels, Potato chips, Triscuits, etc.). So skip the carbs and eat all the salt you want. For information on salt and the mythology surrounding it see the New York Times article cut and past the link below

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/03/opinion/sunday/we-only-think-we-know-the-truth-about-salt.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Salt all you want. I use Himalyan Pink Rock Salt just to be sure I get the minerals we ought to get with our salt. Enjoy.
    Watch the carbs!
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Salt is not meaningful. It doesn't cause you to retain water (that's a myth but repeated all the time). Carbohydrates cause you to retain water and many foods that contain carbohydrates also contain salt! (Pretzels, Potato chips, Triscuits, etc.). So skip the carbs and eat all the salt you want. For information on salt and the mythology surrounding it see the New York Times article cut and past the link below

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/03/opinion/sunday/we-only-think-we-know-the-truth-about-salt.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Salt all you want. I use Himalyan Pink Rock Salt just to be sure I get the minerals we ought to get with our salt. Enjoy.
    Watch the carbs!

This post supports water retention from salt.....so.........
    Yeaaaaaaaa.
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I've stopped caring about limiting salt. Having the salt you want makes it easier to eat fewer calories, and it seems to make a difference in water retention (for me) only in the very short term, if that (I'm not even sure if that's retention from carbs, or from salt).

And it doesn't make me feel bad. I can tell when some things make me feel worse - like diet or regular soda, or a night of drinking (alcohol), it seems like I can feel myself getting sucked of nutrients. Salt doesn't usually make me feel bad, and if it does, I knew when I was eating that I'd overdone it (like when I've oversalted popcorn and it already tastes too salty but I don't want to throw it away).

My personal opinion is that it doesn't matter for me. I also do the himalayan rock salt. #protip on that - see if you can find it at a world grocery, it's not this rare/expensive thing it's made out to be by raw food/whole food suppliers. I found a huge bag of it at an indian grocery for SO much cheaper than Whole Foods & Trader Joe's!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options

Lol, that's why Asians cook with it all the time!

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Awesome. I've been told to watch my salt intake if I want to lose weight!
    I also was told it retains fluid in your body.

I don't add salt to my foodbut I do realise there is a lot of salt in already made things that I buy (occasionally).
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to lose water or fat? I eat plenty of sea salt and the only time I notice bloating is if I eat gluten, or other foods that I've found I'm sensitive to. MAYBE I could lose a tiny bit more water weight by cutting salt, but that's not really what I'm after. You NEED some salt for your body to function properly. And if you're eating unprocessed foods, it's probably fine to add it how you like. If you're eating a lot of processed, pre-salted foods, you probably should watch it.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options

Everyone is different on how their body reacts to things. Personally, for me, salt does cause my BP to go up (contrary to the opinion piece in the NY Times) You need to see how your body reacts to changes in your diet and exercise. What is good for one person does not make it good for the next.
  • CrimsonStain
    CrimsonStain Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Don't always base your progress on weight because it can be fickle and fluctuate. If the scale seems to be outrageous, then before flipping out, consider that many foods we consume contain water in themselves, such as fruit, veggies and carbs. Don't skip out on anything because that will give you a false sense of weight loss. For instance, when I exercise vigorously...I usually sweat and sometimes (forgive my bluntness) take a nice big dump...I will lose anywhere from a pound to three. So don't worry too much about a little half pound or pound here & there that seems to spike up or down. Salt shouldn't affect your weight loss too much BUT I've studied the dynamics of what salt does to your cells...if there's more salt in your extracellular fluids (outside your cells) then it will cause your cells to shrink. If there's more salt inside your cells than in your extracellular fluids, it will cause your cells to swell up. Salt definitely affects your blood pressure, so avoid processed foods and boost up on the potassium, which is known to reduce your blood pressure. But hey, salt away, because I am a salt fiend myself and I couldn't live without salt! But I do avoid canned soups, ramen noodles, tv dinners, packaged lunch meat because those have wayyyy too much salt. I've actually been tempted (I probably will) measure how many shakes it takes to equal a teaspoon of salt lol But I think it might take like about 20 or so lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    It doesn't cause you to retain water (that's a myth but repeated all the time).
    Lol, guess you haven't heard of hypervolemic hypernatremia then?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

Watch the carbs!

you're right

salt doesn't cause you to retain water. Potassium chloride salts wont do that to us
    Sodium which is found in normal table salt does.
    Did you eve read the article it said?
    water follows sodium
    Eat more salt and your body retains water to maintain a stable concentration of sodium in your blood. This is why eating salty food tends to make us thirsty: we drink more; we retain water. The result can be a temporary increase in blood pressure, which will persist until our kidneys eliminate both salt and water.
  • madcitytab
    madcitytab Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You only have significant water retention if you have a health problem if your weight is fluctuating do to salt consumption you should see you doctor. You may have problem with you kidneys or CHF.
  • TheRainQueen
    TheRainQueen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I tend not to add salt to anything. And I sometimes watch sodium levels in things but I do a lot of watching of processed foods. Meaning I don't do a lot of processed foods (a lot of things are amazing if you check any labels..and if you get into it..you'll realize just what you're actually putting into your body nutrition wise). So I do a lot of produce and lean protein, complex carbohydrates (multigrain etc.). Specific things when added with salt can make you retain water. It's because it's not natural in the environment. I'm not getting into a biology lesson here. Also the messaging boards aren't meant to argue on..so hopefully if you love salt..you can figure out moderation. Which is what I do with all of my diet. I even do really good rich food..in portion control. Good luck!