painful joints

Options
Does anyone else here suffer from pain in joints. I used to tap dance and am worried if i attempt it again i will do some damage, Have been walking mainly, could anyone suggest any other exercises i could do that are gentle but effective, thankyou.

Replies

• Shadowcub
    Shadowcub Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Just about anything done in a pool: water aerobics, swimming, etc.
  • beckizzle
    beckizzle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    get glucosamine into ya! But make sure to pay extra for a quality brand!! not one with inferior ingredients and fillers!!
  • Alsison
    Alsison Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I have a bad knee. My favorite exercise is spinning.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I developed some tendonitis in my foot/ankle after tapping for years. My doc has told me to rest a lot, and the only cardio that is approved for now is swimming and biking. No walking or running.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    get glucosamine into ya! But make sure to pay extra for a quality brand!! not one with inferior ingredients and fillers!!

I have bad knees and hips and i found taking the glucosimine and condrointen pills has helped ALOT... also the more that i strengthen the rest of my legs the joints arent as bad.
  • barney2106
    barney2106 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    wow, how quick were the replies, really appreciate the advice, thank you all.
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics and strength training. Perhaps yoga?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    i have fibromyalgia and I used to have lupus (it's in remission now). I started with just walking. Then I added pilates. I found that my pain got a LOT better as I lost weight and now I do all kinds of things, including heavy lifting. Just go slow. Push yourself, but know when to stop. And know when to take a rest day (easier said than done sometimes).
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I've been tap dancing on a sore knee, with no jumping and no shuffles to the side, and it seems to be fine. Tap can be low impact. I also ride the stationary bike at the gym, even though I hate it.
  • colograndma
    Options
    I rebound on a mini trampoline. Much easier than running.... just bouncing ... all though you can run on it and the impact is much better. I hurt my ankle this spring by falling down some stairs at work, and it is much easier on it than most cardio exercises and it really gets your heart rate up fast.
  • lenkearney
    lenkearney Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    elliptical is also supposed to be easy on knees and ankles - boring- but a good workout

I cheat by watching Judge Judy while I am using it.
  • Bigblondelady
    Bigblondelady Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have R.A, FORM OF ARTHRITIS . The joints can really scream at times. but I have noticed since I started riding my recumbent bike my knee and my hips are not a problem much anymore, the pain has all but stopped. Wish you the best
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    i have fibromyalgia and I used to have lupus (it's in remission now). I started with just walking. Then I added pilates. I found that my pain got a LOT better as I lost weight and now I do all kinds of things, including heavy lifting. Just go slow. Push yourself, but know when to stop. And know when to take a rest day (easier said than done sometimes).

Same for me; except I was diagnosed with lupus and then the rheumatologist rescinded that diagnosis - thankfully! She now tells me I have fibromyalgia. With it I have a lot of different "tendonitises" and get sore very easily. But like you, lots of exercise and some weight loss has really slowed down those painful issues.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be beginning swimming this week because of this problem as well as multiple infections I get from sweating a ton and being heavy. I still am going to lift weights. Lifting has always made my joints and muscle feel better.
  • lmb3171999
    lmb3171999 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Do you have an exercise ball? My doc said I need to strengthen the muscles right above my knees. I will balance on the ball and slowly lift one leg and then the other. I will do that and other stretches on the ball for about five minutes before any cardio workout. I'm also doing a resting day between each workout. Oh, and I have knee braces, which have helped with zumba and the treadmill. I hope this helps! I just started all these things this week, so it is a work in progress for me.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Sorry no exercise recommendations but I have shoulder and elbow issues, I take a supplement called animal flex, it's geared towards weight lifters, but I recommend it to everybody, it makes me pain/issue free. It is a pack per day however, of about 8 pills