Replies

• _rozamu
    _rozamu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. So sad how true it is :(
  • bluecrayonz
    bluecrayonz Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Bump...great post. Sometimes its easy to forget...
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    Best thing ever
  • louloulou
    louloulou Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You must be a fellow kiwi deedel32, I read this on stuff too the other day.

Very true isn't it? I grew up with a mum who didn't like her body much. It is not something I want to pass onto my daughters.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Beautiful words, thank you for sharing.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    This is true for all sized girls and all kinds of body wounded mothers (even if the mom weighs 90 pounds).
  • lyttmab
    lyttmab Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    This is true for all sized girls and all kinds of body wounded mothers (even if the mom weighs 90 pounds).
    Yes, that's very true. My mother never had a weight problem. She still is complemented when she goes out. She is beautiful. She is always made up, hair is always in place, clothes are always pressed to perfection. When i was a child I, too, was ALWAYS dressed perfect, hair perfect, clothes ironed,starched,pressed to perfection, no hair out of place EVER. My food was watched like a hawk. Halloween came - we could Trick or Treat down one street. Then the next morning, our candy would be gone. She was NOT going to have a fat child.
    I soon became a closet eater. When I went away to college I came home 40 pounds heavier in one year. I didn't know how to handle the freedom. She immediately signed me up for a gym and drove me there every day. I lost the weight. But in the interim she treated me as if I had the plague - she was DISGUSTED! When I was back down to my 115 she could accept me.
    I am 51 and nothing has changed. She is still disgusted by my size! I am still criticized. My weight has been an embarrassment to her. She is always telling me how I should be eating . . . Why don't I get more exercise? What is wrong with me? What are my problems?
    I have 3 daughters. I am happy to say, my "abuse" stopped with me. All 3 are healthy, and have always had a beautiful relationship with their bodies. They are aware of my problems. I have been very open with them, explaining that I was determined to parent my children to grow up loving themselves no matter what their size. That is so UNIMPORTANT in the large scheme of things as long as they are HEALTHY AND HAPPY!
    Unfortunately my little sister ended up bulimic. Of course it wasn't our mother's fault. She refused to go to family therapy. Therapists are quacks in my parents' books. Fortunately, later in life, my sister did get a therapist that specialized in EDs and she is very healthy now, majored in nutrition in college. So I am happy to say, we STOPPED the madness. Yes, I am scarred, yes, it still hurts, it hurts to the very core.
    This afternoon she saw me on the computer, and asked me what i was doing. I told her I was chatting with some of the friends I had made on MFP. She rolled her eyes, turned and walked away....but that was ok, because the I stopped the madness!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    So sweet. Love this.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    This is heartbreaking...
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Beautiful.
  • jmwolffyy
    jmwolffyy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Such an amazing letter, and a great inspiration to write something similar to my own mother. My mom wasn't the one who taught me that "fat is ugly;" that was done much better by my grandmother and aunts on my dad's side. My mom made sure I knew I was loved at any size and that has helped me with my journey, so I owe her tons of thanks for giving me the right mindset. Now apparently would be the time to let her know that!

Thanks for sharing! :)
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    beyond lovely. thank you. we should all be reminded of this sentiment. love ourselves for who we are; what we can do; what we contribute to family, friends, others; not what we look like. i needed this. <3.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Pow--right in the feels on a Monday morning.
  • hegster23
    hegster23 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    BUMP! Because every woman in the world needs to know that she's beautiful.

Agreed!
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Wow!
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I love this so much. Thanks for sharing.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    not many things make my cry on here, but this did. This is the message i needed if im fortunate enough to carry this baby to term. Well timed thank you!
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    This is amazing, I love it. Thank you for sharing!
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    This is amazing and perfect and is making me choke up a little. Thank you for sharing it.

I have the following bookmarked (from the National Eating Disorders Association, neda.org). It's a little sanity check that keeps me from tailspinning back into the self-hate.

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/10-steps-positive-body-image
  • Laneybug081012
    Options
    This is exactly why I want to get healthy so I can be a good role model for my daughter I want her to always know she is strong and beautiful person and to be HEALTHY...and not to focus so much on image...thank you for sharing!