Need help with C25K!

Options
So... I'm not progressing any. I started Couch to 5k July 19th (I think? Or 20th) ... I started on week 2 since I had already been running 1 minute walking, 1 minute running intervals for a few months so I thought I was ready. Well... I did okay, but I could never run the full 25 minutes of intervals. So the next week, I thought I'd be okay and tried week 3. I couldn't do it so I went back to week 2 for the other 2 days of the week. Then I went on vacation and the next week I didn't run at all. I started back with week 2 last week (only got to run 2x) and this morning I thought I'd try week 3 again. Again, I failed. I ran the 90 seconds, walked the 90 seconds, then when it was time to run 3 minutes, I couldn't even make it to 1 full minute.

I can think of a few things why this is... I'm not letting my body get all the way through the 25 full minutes of intervals before I attempt the next week. Should I seriously repeat week 2 until I can finish all 25 minutes??? 'Cause I feel like if I do that, I'll never finish this program...but at the same time, at the rate I'm going, I'll never finish either. I'll always be stuck on week 2 when I SHOULD be on week 6.

I'm really frustrated because I think I'm in decent shape. I've lost 20 lbs and have been consistently running (save for the week off I had after vacation) for at least 3 months. I feel like I should be able to do this!!!

Another question... do you guys who are going through this program eat anything before your run? I don't eat anything and I feel like I just wipe out by the 2nd or 3rd interval - at least on week 3. Doing week 2 isn't as exhausting, obviously, 'cause it's not as much running. I really don't want to wake up 2 hours before I run to eat a healthy carb like I've heard you should do and anytime I've eaten before I run, I have so much mucus in my mouth and have to spit a lot and it's really uncomfortable. Any ideas as to how I can have more energy?

I feel like giving up on running because of this. It's so frustrating to know that people older than me, heavier than me, and more out of shape than me, are doing better and are further into this program than I am. I should be on week 6 and I'm stuck on week 2.

Replies

• CMenendez
    CMenendez Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My first question would be what is causing you to stop after the first min? Are you getting short of breath, side stitches, or just tired?
  • acstein
    acstein Posts: 55
    Options
    I would definitely stick with it until you can complete the whole amount of time. That's part of the point, running for that amount of time eventually gives you 3 miles in 30 minutes!. Especially if you're running for time and not distance, then that full amount of time is important. It is very discouraging, but being in shape and running in the gym does not equate to running in intervals and distances for certain amounts of time. I can run for an hour on the eliptical, but right at the 3 minutes on the treatmill. Very discouraging!!! Just try to remember to stick with it and in time it will come. You are doing great just by trying to do it to begin with!!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to C25K, but personally I wouldn't advance to the next stage unless you could successfully complete the stage you are on. Otherwise, it just gets harder and harder. Many people take more than just 9 weeks to do the program, but that's okay! Don't get discouraged. If you stick to it, you will improve and eventually you will move on to the next stage.

I tend to work out a little while after meals, so I don't eat anything right before I run, BUT if it is an off-day where I'm exercising quite awhile after my last meal, then I eat something (banana, milk/fruit smoothie, etc.) about 30 min. before I exercise.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents worth but looking at your diary I noticed you are at 45% carbs, while not low carb it is on the low side for endurance athletes, which typically eat 55-60% carbs as this is the best fuel to use during exercise. Good luck.
  • AmandaB4588
    Options
    I understand your frustration. I have been doing C25K for forever because I have a hard time finding the motivation to get to the gym and stay there. I am on Week 4 now but not actively running, plan to get it started again this week. I have seen women older and heavier than me (I am 22 and weigh 160lbs) graduate from C25K, and on time! I think you are using these women as a way to put yourself down instead of for what they really are---- inspiration! Don't be so hard on yourself!

I would definitely finish Week 2 successfully before moving on to Week 3. If you have to do it more than 3x, then so be it. Even though I successfully finished Week 1 the very first time I did it, I still repeated it for over 2 weeks because I didn't feel ready to move on to Week 2. Don't worry about where you are "supposed" to be. Just focus on where you are at!

As for the eating thing, I really have no suggestions. I have a bit of a weird schedule and have no set time that I hit the treadmill. If I can, I try to go between meals so I won't get sick while running but also will have the energy to do it. Sometimes I have to go REALLY early and will eat something small immediately before or eat nothing at all. I have no idea what the "right" thing to do is though!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Cmenendez - My legs feel like they'll give out if I keep running. And once I stop running, my whole body is tingly like I hit a nerve or something.

Eric - Seriously? I'm not an endurance athlete. I run 3x a week. I was set at 50% but felt like I was eating too many carbs so I went down to 45% and I STILL feel like I'm eating too many... it's the only way to eat up the calories I have to eat without gorging myself or filling up too much on meat.

Ugh. Now I really don't want to run.
  • jtapp9
    jtapp9 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If you can NOT run the full 25 minutes of intervals then you are definitely setting yourself up for failure if you try to move on to the next week of longer intervals. Seems very counter productive and useless. BECAUSE, even if you could do the 3 minute run, you STILL wont be able to do the 25 minutes of intervals!

Use the program the way it was intended!!

That being said...I always run intervals! I tried the C25K and couldn't finish week 5. And even at the other weeks I found myself to be totally exhausted when I finished a workout. I realized that I run more and farther if I stick to 1-2 minute intervals and do equal amounts of walking/running. AND, I am not totally wiped out after I do either 30 minutes or 3 miles, whichever I choose.

Do NOT think you are a failure just becasue you cannot run longer times. Some people are just not meant to and I am a firm believer that whether you run straight amounts of time or do intervals forever, you are STILL a runner!

Some of the best running coaches are interval runners!
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Are you doing road work, track or is this on a treadmill? Some people don't get enough oxygen while on a treadmill due to not actually moving anywhere. Plus it's easier to get board w/ it. Road work i.e., hills helps build strength in your legs too.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Cmenendez - My legs feel like they'll give out if I keep running. And once I stop running, my whole body is tingly like I hit a nerve or something.

Ugh. Now I really don't want to run.

It sounds like you just have to build up your endurance. If you have to, take a week of without stressing over it. Do other types of exercise. When you're ready to try again, then come back with a clear mind and be ready to work on it however long it takes - running is a tough exercise, and the endurance it takes to run is different than endurance to go on the elliptical or do other types of cardio. Like someone else said, don't worry about when week you "should" be on - I'm willing to bet that most people take more than 9 weeks!

Don't give up. :flowerforyou: You *can* do this... you just have to stick with it and realize that slow and steady wins the race. If you keep working on it, you will get better.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't move on until you have completed the work outs for the week just like they are layed out. Because it does only get tougher from there.

Also, I don't know about anyone else. But for me running shape is the hardest shape to attain, and it goes away the fastest. If you take a week off, don't expect to come back and pick up where you left off. Two days off between weeks, three at the absolute most.

Eating before running is a personal thing. You just have to figure out what works. I usually don't eat anything, but on longer runs I have a banana, or similar fruit right before I go.

I will say, running isn't for everyone. But if you want to run, C25K is the way to do it. I did it last fall. Good Luck.
  • JJRunning
    JJRunning Posts: 146
    Options
    I'd say running on an empty stomach will make you feel wiped out! I run in the morning and I drink a (short) glass of Chocolate milk before hand... it makes a huge difference. I don't have time to get up and eat/digest actual food before my run. There are several excellent articles out there about the weight loss and cardio benefits of drinking it... odviously, like anything you don't want to drink a lot of it because there is still sugar and calories. Hope that helps!
  • AmandaB4588
    Options

I have gotten tingly after running, and it had something to do with my blood sugar. I wasn't eating enough to make up for the effort I put into running.
  • shell1205
    shell1205 Posts: 138
    Options
    I, too, am trying the C25K program, and have not gotten past week 2. I tried week 3, and it was killing me (I was getting winded, and my legs were like rubber)... so I went back to week 2. I'm going from a fairly sedentary lifestyle, though, AND I'm a smoker ( I know... bad bad bad, and that's the next obstacle for me!!) So I've decided that I will not move onto the next week until I can do the previous week comfortably... and at least we're doing something!! Slow and steady wins the race!! I know a ton of people who take twice, 3x, even 4x as long to complete this program, and that's OK!! So don't fret!! You'll get it when your body is ready :drinker:
  • lynnie30
    lynnie30 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't give up. If you do that you're just letting this stinking "ouch' to 5K win! I've been doing it on and off for years, and somehow here I am at 180 something pounds and doing better with it than ever before. It does sound like you need to build up your endurance- could some of it be a mental block? I felt like that too, so I stopped and walked. I found every distraction I could: I want to find a better song on my ipod, I want to fix my shoelace...etc. I started organizing things (like music) so that I had no excuse but to keep going. One time I kept going and went past that wall and felt much better.

Now, I notice that when I eat a little something before I go I can make it (when I go after dinner, I feel like it is killing me slowly...). I also don't do the recommended 3 days. I can't get back into it. I go to the gym (the treadmill is easier for me to run on than outside) 2 days in a row, then take a day off. That first day that I go back I redo what ever day I did last. So, the first day is a redo of the last, and the 2nd day is new progress. I know runners, I need a rest day after every run, but I can never get any further that way- this works for me.

find a way to do it that works for you :)
    good luck!
  • aippolito1
    Options
    Dan - I run outside on the sidewalk. I feel like running on the treadmill is cheating. (For me) I can run longer on a treadmill and then I get outside and feel defeated because I can't run as long so I nixed the treadmill altogether because it wasn't motivating me. I want to be able to say MY BODY and my body alone can run, not with a treadmill pushing me and I like the scenery of being outside better.

I run in the morning before I go to work. If I run any later in the day, I feel so bogged down and feel so heavy because I've eaten all day and literally can't push any further. Also, I live in TX and the morning is the coolest time to run. It was 80 today and it felt like 95.

JJ - I'll have to try that... I have the syrup and milk. It might help with what Amanda said about blood sugar...maybe a little sugar/carbs will help and then that might not be too heavy for me?

iplayoutside - I was eating half a banana before every run and I felt like I had more energy but I hated having to spit so much. Also, Banks told me not to eat so much sugar in the morning and that wasn't the best fuel food so I just cut it out. Ugh. I don't know. So many people have so many different opinions about running... I just need to find what works for me, I guess. It's hard to process anything in the morning besides "sports bra, heart rate monitor, sneakers, water."
  • Gerkenstein
    Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hey Arielle! I'm definitely not NEARLY as advanced as you are in C25K, but what other leg strengthening exercises are you doing? I would strongly suggest doing squats and lunges regularly throughout the week. I've really noticed a difference in my quads from doing approx. 100 squats a week (sometimes like holding a weight 20-30lbs). Just a suggestion. Good luck!
  • meesheath
    Options
    Pace yourself; with the program AND with your walking/running speed!!! Don't run too fast during the runs. Try slowing down and see what happens. You might suprise yourself. Yes, definitely repeat weeks when necessary!!! I have/had weeks when I work late and can't get to the gym or weeks on vacation. I most definitely would rather repeat a week than to move ahead too fast and feel like I've failed. This might sound stupid, but when I'm running I tell myself this: "As long as you can still breathe and you can still put one foot in front of the other, KEEP GOING!" That's my little self-motivation tool, but might not work for everyone! Keep up the running. You won't regret it. Let me know if you need a buddy!
  • Valqis
    Valqis Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Arielle, are you training for a specific 5K or just to get to the point where you can run a full 5k without stopping? If you don't have a specific date that you are training for, then take your time and work up to the next week at your own pace. As far as the legs getting tingly, I had the same problem when I was training. You might want to eat a banana or something that will give you some extra natural sugar about a half hour to an hour before you go running. It will help with your endurance and might help with the tingly feeling.
    Just what I have come up with during my little bit of doing c25k...
  • aippolito1
    Options
    Sarah - Oh, I do plenty of leg work!! I do leg work with resistance bands when I do Pilates (and I'm REALLY feeling the burn from those the last couple weeks as well as 30-45 plie squats on a leg day and 15-30 on an arm day, on leg days, I also do 20 walking lunges and I do fire hydrants and donkey kicks with 5 lb dumbbells. Sometimes I feel like I'm overworking my legs because of this... but every day I'm targeting different muscles so they don't need more rest.

meesheath - Yeah, that doesn't work for me. :\ It used to but now I tell myself to keep going and I just can't and I have to stop. This morning, when I was trying for 3 minutes, I told myself I would get to at least 2 minutes and maybe 5 seconds later, I had stopped 'cause I just couldn't go anymore.

Valqis - Yeah. I want to run the Race for the Cure 5k in October. I thought I'd have enough time to finish the training before then but now I'm really discouraged and it doesn't look like I will. I don't want to do another race with WALKING. I'm sick of walking.
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Well, unfortunately at the end of the day you will have to deal with your problems by yourself. Perhaps you should do a performance evaluation test like the Rockport Fitness walking test which tests your aerobic endurance http://www.brianmac.co.uk/rockport.htm. Otherwise I don't see any obvious reason you shouldn't be able to advance through the c25k program