20 pounds in 10 weeks!

Options
Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone had any advice for me! I'm 5 foot 3 and 145 pounds. I would (ideally) like to be 125 pounds!
Can anyone tell me what they have found as the best logic/diet/exercise? I find it hard cause I'm not hugely overweight, it's harder to shift the pounds! (I don't mean that to sound ungrateful/stuck up)
I have 2 dogs which are runnable/walkable. I don't have gym membership and would rather do work outs myself!
Diet wise... I eat scrambled egg and toast for breakfast, tuna and a banana for lunch and generally grilled meat, potatoe and veg for dinner.

Can anyone expand on their experiences? Best diet? What deficit?

Really appreciate anyone's help please! Thanks!

Replies

• elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Start eating less and exercising more. Don't wait for the perfect solution - just get moving.

Also - 20 pounds in 10 weeks is not very realistic if you want to keep it off. Don't set yourself up for disappointment.
  • shortstuff189
    Options
    Start eating less and exercising more. Don't wait for the perfect solution - just get moving.

Also - 20 pounds in 10 weeks is not very realistic if you want to keep it off. Don't set yourself up for disappointment.

Hi elaine,

I read that 2 pounds a week is the safe/realistic way to do it? What do you advise?
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options

Hi elaine,

I read that 2 pounds a week is the safe/realistic way to do it? What do you advise?

Sure, you can lose 2 lbs a week by drastically restricting your caloric intake. But is that sustainable in the long run, like for the rest of your life? Because once you reach your goal weight and start eating in the "real world", are you going to be willing to maintain a low calories restrictive diet? I think probably not, and then the weight starts coming back on.

A MUCH better bet is to eat at a moderate caloric deficit (TDEE-15% - search the forums for "In place of a road map" for more info) and learn and establish healthy eating and exercise habits. Don't go on a diet, which by definition, is temporary. Make a lifestyle change, which is long term and sustainable, which is the key to successful weight lose and control.
  • jakesfitness
    jakesfitness Posts: 123 Member
    Options

Hi elaine,

ive done Multiple programs with different groups of people where in one program i lost 45 lbs in 4 months... didnt have a starvation diet either, in fact i think i ate more then than i did before the program... and ive been in several challenge groups where people are consistently loosing 1-6 lbs a week. Your goal is extremely doable. add me and message if you want to know how we did it.
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options

Hi elaine,

ive done Multiple programs with different groups of people where in one program i lost 45 lbs in 4 months... didnt have a starvation diet either, in fact i think i ate more then than i did before the program... and ive been in several challenge groups where people are consistently loosing 1-6 lbs a week. Your goal is extremely doable. add me and message if you want to know how we did it.

How much did you weigh to start with to lose 45lbs in 4 months? The OP doesn't have that much weight to drop.

The recommended fat loss is 1lb a week and most people find this sustainable for a good length of time. Of course you will drop faster at the start of your dieting.

20lbs in 10 weeks is doable. 15lbs is more doable though. But whatever, you just go at it and see what you can get.

Diet wise...
    I eat scrambled egg and toast for breakfast,
    tuna and a banana for lunch
    generally grilled meat, potatoe and veg for dinner.

How accurate is the above? If you ate the above 80% of the time then you should weigh less than you do if you did any weights, sport or exercise in a week. How much do you drink? The above is is no more than 1600-1800 calories tops and that is with big portions

I think the biggest issue with your weight is your body composition you are not happy with.

This is the best example of what I like to show women

http://fat2skinnyfast.tumblr.com/post/41123022725/a-reminder-that-muscle-weighs-more-than-fat-use

Would you rather weigh 123lbs and look like her? Or would you rather look like the (same) girl on the right and weigh 137lbs? It's the same girl but she has changed her body fat % and done either weights but at the very least resistance training.

You can do weights at home (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOoazFiYFJo) or go to the gym, eat the above diet, do cardio/ hit 2x a week and you will get in really good shape in 10 weeks. 10 weeks is a good enough time frame to make a lot of changes. One meal a week you can eat whatever you want. Your other meals must be relatively clean and you have to get at least 140-150g of protein per day.

Koing
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options

Hi elaine,

Sure, you can lose 2 lbs a week by drastically restricting your caloric intake. But is that sustainable in the long run, like for the rest of your life? Because once you reach your goal weight and start eating in the "real world", are you going to be willing to maintain a low calories restrictive diet? I think probably not, and then the weight starts coming back on.

A MUCH better bet is to eat at a moderate caloric deficit (TDEE-15% - search the forums for "In place of a road map" for more info) and learn and establish healthy eating and exercise habits. Don't go on a diet, which by definition, is temporary. Make a lifestyle change, which is long term and sustainable, which is the key to successful weight lose and control.

What she said. Most of us are here to change/improve our lifestyles, not just drop weight asap. If you can do that and keep it off, good for you, but what I see a lot is people who have goals "I have to lose X by Y" and then they only lose a portion of X, get discouraged, and go back up to their start weight. Heck, I've done it myself. But what I've learned by doing this is that I am more successful if I set myself up for accomplishing reasonable goals based on what I've learned about my body, not just throwing numbers out and seeing what sticks. Good luck!
  • shortstuff189
    Options
    Thank you Koing - big eye opener!
  • Eviesmum
    Eviesmum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 5:2 and since 22nd April I've lost 12lb. I'm also doing Insanity.

I eat back all my calories on both normal and fasting days so I end up usually on a fasting day with a deficit of about 400 cals.

I like the fact that no food is off limits, you just have to account for it.

Good Luck.