Junk food - How often, and how much?

Options
mcibty
mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
Hey all,

Hope you all had a lovely weekend? I got to spend a rare day with my partner yesterday, so we went for a walk and ended up in a cute pub with an amazing beer garden and even better burgers. Had an awesome day drinking, and I'm not going to say that I regret it because it was lovely.

Anyway... The burger/meal at the pub was all I ate all day and after logging it this morning I got to wondering how much junk food you all eat, if any, and how often you do it? I think it's OK to have a treat once in a while as long as it fits in with your daily plan (I know mine didn't yesterday, but that was the booze). I also know it can make others feel like *kitten* and they just prefer not to have any at all.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    IIFYM for me.... i am sure i eat plenty of things that others consider 'junk' on a daily basis!
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    I dont see burgers as junk food... but then again thats because i make my own so i know whats going into them and i fit them into my day accordingly.

But i do know where your coming from, we went out for hubbys and a friends birthday on saturday.... with the meal and the wine for the evening went over by 157 calories and 33 fat (i had ribeye steak :blushing: )

Lets face it, most of us are going to be doing or aiming to do this long term, we should be able to figure out how to have all sorts of foods in our plan.....

Take my breakfast this morning.... im having a blt.... but tonights tea will be something with less calories to accomodate my huge bacon craving this morning.

Iv seen a post this morning about ice cream, i havnt commented yet.. but i have ice-cream on a regular basis.... i just dont have alot of it.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Whenever I genuinely want it. And I don't buy the meal deals with fries and drinks, though - as I would eat those because they were 'there', not because I wanted them. Usually, one chicken fillet burger is quite enough on the way back from the pub.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    around 20% of my diet if im at maitenance or gaining weight..... If im losing weight I cut beer out almost completely and try to drink wine or booze on saturdays. I eat very little calorie dense foods while im losing weight. Quite simply I stuff my face with lean meats, vegetables, rice & oats, some fruit, and some healthy fats. I prefer massive quantities of food to small snacks.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Cool - thanks for the first lot of replies guys.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    IIFYM for me.... i am sure i eat plenty of things that others consider 'junk' on a daily basis!
    This. As long as I hit my protein and fat goals, and stick to my average calorie goal, I don't really pay attention to whether food is considered "junk" or not. No individual food is good or bad.
  • smellyden
    smellyden Posts: 10
    Options
    Well I have lost loads of pounds while still eating pizza and burgers, it does not really matter as long as you maintain your calorie goal. If you want to eat guilt free though, try doing some exercise during the week to get a some calories which you can eat on junk food!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Depends what you consider junk. I don't consider burgers junk either unless it comes with a lot of sauce and cheese or whatnot.
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options

This, it's WAY more fun
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Depends what you consider junk. I don't consider burgers junk either unless it comes with a lot of sauce and cheese or whatnot.

cheese is junk? :sad:
  • BoogeyBrat
    BoogeyBrat Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Depends on what we're calling junk food. I'm sure most of what I eat might seem like junk to some, but to me junk food is more like snacks. Stuff like chips, cookies, soda, candy, and what have you. The kind of stuff your mom would tell you not to fill up on and spoil your dinner with.

I don't make a habit of eating any of those things, but I also don't beat myself up for eating a candy bar or having a helping of chips. I just don't do it everyday, and probably indulge once or twice a week. I haven't really wanted snacks much since I've been losing, for whatever reason. They just don't really appeal to me that much anymore.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    For me, fast food (e.g. McDonalds') is only allowed when I'm hungover :-)
    As long as you are within your calorie goal, you can pretty much eat whatever you want and still lose weight...but you can eat so much MORE when you eat healthier stuff and you feel better for it too :-)
  • aquinoz
    aquinoz Posts: 182 Member
    Options

This, it's WAY more fun

THIS.
  • LilMissDB
    LilMissDB Posts: 133
    Options
    I think it depends entirely on what the rest of your diet is like. If you are only allowing yourself 1200kcal then unless you exercise, I don't think you have any room at all for junk. If your goal is higher, say 1800 or above or you exercise to make your total goal that then I don't see why you wouldn't be able to fit a treat in daily. I personally (well, and professionally as an RD) think at least 1500kcal/day of 'proper' food makes for good nutrition but then some people don't even have a calorie goal that high.
  • sak2k7
    sak2k7 Posts: 1
    Options
    Changes depending whats happening. If I'm in study season the amount of junk food I eat increases and when its just normal uni days I tend to stay away best I can. Main priority for me is to keep within the calorie count and make sure macros are good.

However for example last night although I had a meal pre prepared, I was just really craving fast food couldn't do any work, just decided to bring my cheat meal forward and dig in.
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I dont eat takeaway burgers pizza bread rolls mcdonalds etc at all. I dont like the taste. I splurge on takeaway sushi with some fried about once a week as its not always easy getting super healthy. I eat at an asian takeaway shop in chinatown once per week so i guess thered be some msg. One homemade muffin, small handful of chips, or cheese n biscuits once a week. Hardly eat butter. Dont touch cream. Sometimes at peoples houses i dont have an option eg. Sausages so ill eat there. I always offer to bring fruit for dessert when visiting but often friends dont have dessert at all which is nice. No mayonaise dressings etc on salad and friends dont put it on either usually. Chocolate once every 3 weeks; small piece. Water mainly; fresh juice very occasionally eg. Once every 3 months. Nil soft drinks tea or coffee. Im on maintenance now. Since doing sugar free for four weeks, only ever crave sweetness in fruit now.
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hi! For me, the less junk food I cram into my mouth, the less I crave it; the less I like it when I do eat some...
    I was allowing myself to consume one junk food item a week when I first started my journey, and I lost 20 lbs within 2 months! However, I completely fell off track for about 10 months and have recently jumped back on board. (I guess that's debatable right now since I completely killed my weekend... Booooo!!!!!) However, I AM DETERMINED!! to make things right today!

Bottom line, today, it's way easier for me to avoid junk food than to allow a little amount every so often. Good luck!

On the other hand, it's not about what you consume, but the amount - you have to eat in moderation. There's been studies that show professionals (doctors, etc) that eat bad food and lose weight b/c they decreased their caloric intake. Just keep in mind that you're not going to feel as content.
  • supadeliux
    supadeliux Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Pizzas, fries, burgers, and cookies (I love cookies) are no longer in my diet... it's been 2 months, but it's hard to do it, most of the time, when I go out with my friends.... but, to be honest, when I realized how many pounds i've lost, I feel better.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Almost every day for me, as long as I stay under I'm fine with them.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Often, and as much as I can fit into my goal while still staying in the general area of my macros.