sports bras for the more top heavy. suggestions??

Options
My "big issue".......the "girls" need a little bit more support when I'm at the gym. If any of you ladies are having the same issue but have found a good sports bra or alternative PLEASE let me know!! It really bothers me especially now because i've lost this much weight so far. Looking forward to your suggestions! :):)♡♡ (I.e I'm in the D family)

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    My SIL is also in the D family and swears by the zip-front Under Armor sports bra, she got hers at D I C K 's Sporting Goods so I imagine other sporting goods stores would also carry the brand and size. I think she said she paid $37 for it but not certain. She wears it when running and goes on and on about how great it is!

Me, I'm in a whole other boat - I'm still in the G range. No sporting goods store is going to carry what I need! :laugh:
  • kelli543
    kelli543 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm a 32 G, so my cups truly runneth over...

There are two types of sports bras - those that work through 'bandaging' ie squashing them as flat as possible, and those that work by encapsulation ie supporting each boob individually.

You need to try both and see what you prefer, but for me the shock absorber was the best of the bandaging type, but I found it uncomfortable and basically gave me a massive uni-boob. Was just like wearing a too small bra.

The Panache 5021 was the best of the encapsulating type and this is the single most comfortable sprots bra I have ever found, it gives me great support, no bounce, and gives quite a flattering shape.

hth
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going to an fitness or running or even a specialized bra store (not Sports Authority or Lady Footlocker), where you can be measured properly. Not all sports bras are created equally. In regular bras I'm a DD, but in sports bras I'm a D. Good luck.
  • Kate029
    Kate029 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am in the F range of bras and I only use Freya bras - both for general wear and sports wear. Freya have two types of sports bra - one underwire and one without, they are both really really good, I was surprised the one without the underwire works as well as it does. On another note I always wear a crop top sports bra (of any brand from Nike to target) over my Freya sports bra to help with the "bouncing".
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I go braless let em stare I say.

ETA: I am a 38 DD
  • HS2305
    HS2305 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm definitely in the "D Family" and I avoid buying sports bras (right or wrong?)...I typically wear a bra and a cami everyday! Although they tend not to be contained at all times, the cami helps.
  • Meredith8684
    Meredith8684 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    This is definitely an issue for me. Especially now that I'm breastfeeding! I recently bought the only sports bra I've ever been comfortable running and doing jumping jacks in!!! Definitely worth it. It's a "Moving Comfort Juno" sports bra. In my size it has both a racer back and a clasp closure. Very supportive: http://www.freshpair.com/Moving-Comfort-Juno-Sports-Bra-350025.html
  • KYT1121
    KYT1121 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've had this same question. Thanks for the suggestions thus far. I really like Panache and didn't realize they have a sports bra. Will check out Freya too.
  • lizdwolf
    lizdwolf Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Wacoal makes a great sports bra!
  • Lauran845
    Lauran845 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have read studies that say there is no sports bra that can provide the support of doubling up. I put my dd's in a regular bra with a sports bra over top, keeps the jiggle to a minimum.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    i swear by shock absorbers. comfy, attractive and jiggle proof. but everyone is a different shape & prefers a different style.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I really love the Moving Comfort Fiona bra. When I got it, I tried out some jumping jacks in the store (I'm usually DDD but DD in sports bras) and barely a jiggle. I did get a smaller band size than I usually do.

One of the things that I love best is that it fastens like a regular bra. I really don't like the sports bra back as I find it's really difficult to struggle in and out of if it's wet. Another thing is that it doesn't give me a monstrous uniboob.
  • notyouraveragetalia
    notyouraveragetalia Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    D Family..Champion sports bra with underwire! I know there are "better" ie. more expensive and specialized options out there but these are reasonably priced (around $30-$40) and are the best fit I've tried. You can find them at Kohl's or Premium Hanes Outlets at a discount!
  • vmr2811
    vmr2811 Posts: 36
    Options
    I've also found that doubling up with both types of sports bras is the only way for me to feel fully supported with my double D's. I wear one with the underwire that has more of a lyrcra material that "encases" each girl and then a heavy duty cotton "bandage" type one over that. I bought mine at a department store (I think it was Kohls?). Wearing them both is the only thing I have found that keeps the bouncing under control. I may be locked and loaded, but well worth it to not have a black eye! :)
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    even when i've gone up to a large E (the joys of meds induced lactation) i've never needed to double up when wearing shock absorbers. i can't imagine doubling up & wearing underwires are comfy if you're working out. :indifferent:
  • lucyricky2
    lucyricky2 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I am now wearing a fruit of the loom sports bra. I would always have a problem with falling out of my bra. I was a 42 d and am now a 38 d and can probably go to a c now. I like it and it is very comfortable. i wear it all the time not just when working out. the price is very reasonable. got it at walmart.com for about $15
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I use this one from Lane Bryant:

march13_sport1?$thumbnail$&wid=229&hei=298&op_sharpen=1

I picked one of these up a week before my mud run in April and was measured at a 36 DDD at that time. It kept the girls in place. It was a little spendy (around $40), but i LOVE it. Will probably end up getting another in a smaller size, though, as my band size keeps shrinking.
  • kelli543
    kelli543 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Even as a G I can't see me ever needing to double up! How do you avoid chafing and pinching? A well-fitting sports bra should work on its own.

Bras that encapsulate often have underwires (the Panache one does) - they are cleverly engineered. But you really, really won't get away with having the wrong size.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I'm a 32 G, so my cups truly runneth over...

There are two types of sports bras - those that work through 'bandaging' ie squashing them as flat as possible, and those that work by encapsulation ie supporting each boob individually.

You need to try both and see what you prefer, but for me the shock absorber was the best of the bandaging type, but I found it uncomfortable and basically gave me a massive uni-boob. Was just like wearing a too small bra.

The Panache 5021 was the best of the encapsulating type and this is the single most comfortable sprots bra I have ever found, it gives me great support, no bounce, and gives quite a flattering shape.

hth

I second the Panache 5021. I have two and love both of them. I little pricey but well worth it.