I'm an addict...

Options
What do you all do about sugar cravings? I am a serious sugar addict. I can do without the fried, greasy food, the soda, and the chips... but crave sugar something fierce. I meant it REALLY calls my name. I can't handle eating sugar or desserts in moderation... I've tried limiting myself to 3 Hershey Kisses or only eating a dessert once a week--but it seems that just triggers sugar binges. What have you all done to end/stop sugar cravings?

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    In the afternoon, when I used to reach for mini candy bars, now I do a south beach diet protein bar. They come in chocolate and peanut butter flavors and taste pretty darn good. At night, instead of dessert-type sweets, I'll do a cereal with unsweetened soy milk and maybe some blueberries. It really helps to have some sort of protein with your sugar. My sister loves chocolate flavored soy milk with cereal, you could try that:)
  • junco1971
    junco1971 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have no sugar added ice cream bars for a snack at night or I have a bowl of raisin bran or frosted mini wheat. I know they aren't the best choices but to me they are better then having a whole tray of cookies or 5 scoops of regular ice cream
  • Matt82007
    Matt82007 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't have any experience with trying to deny myself sugary foods (I'm much more of a sugary drinks kind of guy) but I understand you can go a long way by replacing all the candy and pastries with fruit. Not quite the same, but it should diminish the cravings.
  • mountaingirl2207
    Options
    I found that not having it at all for a short period of time broke the addiction, and now I can have a small treat and stop. I used to be able to 3 ice cream sandwiches without a second thought. Now I eat one 90 calorie mini cone and I'm happy. You'll get there, its a process.
  • SCtolulu
    SCtolulu Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Have a sweet treat you love every day. At the beginning for me mini mayfield ice cream sandwiches got me through my cravings. 90 calories. And when I would flip out with an intense craving and eat two it was still under 200 :)
  • paigemulroe
    paigemulroe Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I find that gum sometimes helps, I personally have sugar free gum. I don't know how much better it is for you, but you save tons of calories!:happy:
  • KristiCastro27
    KristiCastro27 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Those are all great ideas! Thank you! :)
  • Becky_Smith72
    Becky_Smith72 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I love Quaker's mini rice cakes.. they have a chocolate flavor that is REALLY good, I think, and helps my sweet tooth.
  • MomOfTex
    MomOfTex Posts: 2
    Options
    Strawberries with fat-free Cool Whip help my sweet tooth and are really low in calories. Easy and yummy.
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to! I don't keep sweets in the house. If the craving gets out of control I get a small bag of plain M&M's. I take out 5, and give the rest away. I suck on those 5 one at a time till they are gone. I go brush my teeth, and drink lots of water.

I have been really good lately.... No sweets.

If you can't handle having a little of something you may have to do without it at all until you can handle it. Good luck!
  • DancerGal08
    Options
    I'm new to MFP and a sugar and carb addict too. If not tracking, I'll eat two desserts in one day, double and triple the serving size of said desserts and far too much bread choices. From my food tracking, it shows up with me over the daily allotment in the sugar category. Now seeing that breakdown and the empty calories spent will get my mind retooled. For my palette, some things I will have to avoid because they are triggers to binge, like plain M&Ms. In the past, I've bought bulk packs from BJs and told myself that I'd eat in moderation. Nope. I'd feed until sickness. So I won't bring them in the house. I'm also working to up my protein and vegetable intake to make me more full and plan any carbs I will have for the day.
  • lyttmab
    lyttmab Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I found that not having it at all for a short period of time broke the addiction, and now I can have a small treat and stop. I used to be able to 3 ice cream sandwiches without a second thought. Now I eat one 90 calorie mini cone and I'm happy. You'll get there, its a process.

This is so true. You literally go thru a withdrawal but you won't believe how easy it is, once you go thru it. I am like you. I always thought I could NEVER give up my sweets and my bread! 5 years ago I went on the South Beach diet and after the first week, I REALLY didn't miss it. But that means giving up most anything that has sugar in it for a few days then reintroducing the healthy carbs slowly after your body adjusts to it. I didn't eat fruit, bread, pasta, sweets ... I tried to keep my carbs below 25/day. The weight dropped off me and the sugar cravings stopped after 4 or 5 days. It was unbelievable. Then of course I gained it all back. Now I'm doing something similar, just not quite as strict. And, it's working. And of course, now I realize it has to be a life choice, not a "diet" then go back to eating like I was . . .

Also, if you are really craving something, Dr. Oz said to mix all natural peanut butter with dark chocolate. He said to melt the chocolate and then add it to the peanut butter but I just added sugar-free choco chips to it. Then you put it in a container and store it in the fridge. When you get a craving - take a spoon full of it and it will satisfy the craving. So far it has worked for me. Good luck!!! ♡❣♡
  • KristiCastro27
    KristiCastro27 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you SO much for all your advice and kind words of encouragement. It's nice to know I'm not alone with this issue.
  • macyfit
    macyfit Posts: 3
    Options
    SUGAR CANDY ICE CREAM
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I feed that addiction before it consumes me. Just keeping the sugar bear beast at bay.
    oranges, apples, grapes, berries, ice cream, yogurt.

I do tend to notice a correlation at least for me between my sodium intake and my cravings. As I reduce salt intake, I crave sugar less.
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Okay, I've been eating a Fiber One bar or some type of granola bar or cereal for breakfast that contains CHOCOLATE and I think it helps me to get my fix. My sister on the other hand always has chocolate around and only allows herself a handful a day...keep in mind this takes serious willpower, but she's skinny; she's been skinny for yrs!! Do what works for you. Try maybe avoiding it altogether for a week or so...you'd be amazed how much less you like something when you don't regularly consume it! Just beware of the possibility to binge...
  • ADaffner
    ADaffner Posts: 2
    Options
    Try eating dill pickles. Your body reacts to the dill like it would something sweet and will help satisfy the cravings, plus they're generally no calories!
  • MsStang02
    MsStang02 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am a huge sugar addict as well. In the beginning it was tough. Instead of reaching for some kind of candy or cake, I would reach for a sweet fruit. Yes, some fruit has a lot of sugar in it, but it is the better alternative to candy or cake. After a few weeks, my craving for sweets started to go away. Now I am able to balance out my meals and not really crave sugar at all. I do allow myself a treat once a day, and I do budget it in. I'll have a some chocolate during lunch, or ice cream after dinner. But it is always in moderation, and even just a little bit satisfies me. It takes work, but you'll get there :bigsmile:
  • loubielou85
    Options
    Hi all,

I was a addict to anything sweet, I went cold turkey stopped eating it, having it in the house. I don't have desserts anymore. I've done it since April. I have also done low carbs and I don't have bread, I feel this has helped me. Plus I workout everyday and I find it so rewarding that I don't want to ruin the hard work by eating chocolate or a slice of cake.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    this. absolutely. I used to "have to" have something sweet after a meal. now i don't. sometimes i'll have a fruit or sometimes i'll have nothing.

PERSONALLY (and this is me, YMMV), i find that the fake sweet just makes things worse for me - doesn't stop the cravings. the only thing that worked is acutally stopping all sweet. and believe it or not -you'll learn to appreciate *a* square of dark (80%) chocolate...