Maintaining on plant based eating

Options
Is it possible NOT to lose weight on a plant-based lifestyle? My ideal weight is 126lbs (9st). Any less, I start looking gaunt, ill, visible ribs, etc, just overall NOT a good look! I'm mostly vegetarian (few slip-ups with fish :( ) with a possible slight intolerance to dairy so been limiting that and feeling better/less bloating. I'm looking into a more plant-based lifestyle and going to start making small adjustments so I'm not too overwhelmed. My concern is, losing more weight. I work long, unsociable hours so that might prove difficult to eat enough as well. Is anyone here eating at maintenance on plant-based living, and how to you find it? Any tips/pointers would be greatly appreciated. I already eat lots of nuts/seeds anyway. I really cannot lose any more weight!

Replies

• perrinjoshua
    perrinjoshua Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Increase your avocados would be my suggestion. Great healthy fats and lots of good things for about 300 cals each. Coconut milk products are also good choices. The coconut milk is really good for you but does have enough calories to make a difference in your calories for the day to help you maintain.
  • saltedcaramel86
    saltedcaramel86 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Didn't think of coconut milk...might sound stupid, but what can I do with it? I'm still using small amounts of whole milk in my tea, but use almond milk in cereals, etc.

Not a huge fan of avocados yet but pushing myself to get used to them, hope my palate adjusts! I've got some so going to look at recipes to try :)
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    Is it possible NOT to lose weight on a plant-based lifestyle? My ideal weight is 126lbs (9st). Any less, I start looking gaunt, ill, visible ribs, etc, just overall NOT a good look! I'm mostly vegetarian (few slip-ups with fish :( ) with a possible slight intolerance to dairy so been limiting that and feeling better/less bloating. I'm looking into a more plant-based lifestyle and going to start making small adjustments so I'm not too overwhelmed. My concern is, losing more weight. I work long, unsociable hours so that might prove difficult to eat enough as well. Is anyone here eating at maintenance on plant-based living, and how to you find it? Any tips/pointers would be greatly appreciated. I already eat lots of nuts/seeds anyway. I really cannot lose any more weight!

Fruit can be calorific... bananas and avacados would be good for maintenance. Also quinoa.. Someone mentioned coconut milk thats really good to maintain.

Also nuts. 25g of pistacio nuts is like 148 calories
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Eating a plant based diet doesn't mean you will lose weight. You can easily maintain or gain.

Have quinoa, pasta, rice.... Use sauces to up your calorie intake and snack on nuts and nut butters. You will maintain your weight provided your overall calorie intake is enough.
  • danikothe
    danikothe Posts: 3
    Options
    I use coconut milk, almond milk, and rice milk in place of milk. Not only is milk/dairy not good for you, but most people are lactose intolerant. I have been vegan and gluten free for about 6 months now, and have lost about 15 lbs and gained a lot of muscle. If you have any dairy replacement questions I am happy to help! Good luck to you!