• fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    . I immediately went back into die mode

What a great typo....
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I :heart: cruising! On my last cruise I made sure my b'fast was mostly protein (I skipped the breads and danish they always offer), if we were on the ship for lunch we'd go to the buffet (great salad choices), and dinner was always in our dining room (tried to choose the lighter fare and skipped dessert most nights). I was in Alaska for two weeks, did lots of walking and sightseeing both on the ship and at port - I tried not to fixate on it too much and had a good time. When I got back I had gained just 3 pounds and I lost it pretty quickly.
  • twinmom430
    twinmom430 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I love cruising!!!!! I just make sure to walk, alot! I also went to the gym. Nothing like overlooking the ocean on a treadmill! Also I didn't take elevators, at all! I ate a light breakfast and lunch and went crazy at dinner, and ate what I wanted. I only gained a couple lbs on each cruise i've been on and it came off quickly. Good luck!
  • NicS69
    NicS69 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I normally only gain 1 pound on my cruises and that is without depriving myself of anything. I have a few fruity drink that awesome dinners and even the desserts. I just didn't gorge myself all day. Here is what I did that helped so much.....

-Drink lots and lots of water - it will keep you fuller and you will need it to stay hydrated
    -Don't use the elevators. Take the stairs. You'll get your exercise in that way.
    -Walk the ship. You'll find thing that you didn't even know the ship had. You'll get exercise and have fun checking out all the new stuff you're finding.
    -Excursions - choose activites for your excursions like kayaking, snorkeling, biking, etc

That's pretty much all I did.

DON'T TRY TO DENY YOURSELF!! After the first couple of days you'll say forget it and totally blow it. Just eat what you want, taste it, try it, enjoy it, just portion control and exercise.

Have a wonderful time!!!
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    On a cruise I took a couple of years ago they had a competition you could join to see who could lose the most weight during the cruise with a cash prize for the winner. If your cruise has this option, join it - it's a great motivator. I got up early everyday and walked the track on the top most deck. This year I have some super active excursions planned during my cruise. My biggest concern will be tracking :grumble: ...not much internet access at sea. I think I'm more upset about losing my tracking streak than the possibility of gaining any weight. :laugh:
  • melly424
    melly424 Posts: 23
    Options
    We went on a cruise last year. As soon as we were unpacked, I found the exercise room. Every morning before breakfast I did some kind of aerobic activity to burn a few hundred calories. I tried not to go too crazy at breakfast and lunch, but didn't really watch it too bad at dinner. The exercise helped because it kept me focused. I still gained a few pounds, but I know had I not done the exercise, I would have blown it completely. Regardless, even if you have a bad week and gain ten pounds, just start over as soon as you get home. Have fun!
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Great advice everyone.

Knowing myself, walking is the most doable. I will hit the gym, but won't do it every day I found some sample dinner menus and think I will be balancing the lighter fare and what I want. Even some of the light desserts look good.

I have also decided to forgo the soda card in favor of drinking more water and unsweetened iced tea.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Oooh i'm jealous! We took a 7 night last month. My advice? Dont get on the scale the day after you get home! The morning after I got home My scale was up 14 POUNDS from the day i left. 14 POUNDS!!!! Well exactly 10 days later, it was all gone. That was a heck of a lot of water weight! My estimate is that i gained 2 "real" pounds. It was worth it to me. I tried to eat lighter breakfast and lunches but had whatever i wanted at dinner and dessert. I walked the ship often, took stairs whenever i could (didnt have the stroller), i didnt drink much alcohol, maybe 1 a day, i swam in the ocean.
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Use the gym!!!
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhh! I am going on a cruise August 10,2013 might I add that I can't wait :-) I will take all advice as I have really worked hard to lose the weight that I have and don't want to gain it back. But it is only for 5 days so I should be okay.