Four-Year-Old Birthday Gift Ideas

Options
tobejune
tobejune Posts: 177
Hi Everyone,

Pretty self-explanatory title, huh? My son is turning four this weekend and it's sort of just creeped up on me and now I'm scrambling for some original ideas. We don't really do the tv/ movies/ computer stuff, so I'm looking for ideas excluding that. We live in a very small house (about 230 sq feet) so want to be cautious with bringing some huge toy in. I was sort of thinking of doing some activity, like rock climbing, as his gift.... what do people think of that? I'm an adult so I can obviously see the value in that over a material gift... but he's 4 so maybe he wouldn't?

So far he's getting pajamas and a new lunch box. Exciting, I know.... exactly why I need your help!!!!

TIA

Replies

• TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    I think a memorable outing will have far more meaning to him than a toy will.
  • mikkie1040
    mikkie1040 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Children that age still love to hang out with their parents (enjoy it while you can) so I'd say plan a special outing with him. Is there a Zoo where you live that you can take him to? A local pet shop where he can play with puppies? A day at the beach, a playdate at a playground followed by ice cream. Ask him what he'd like to do for his special day and work from there. It doesn't have to be extravagant or expensive. Just something that makes him happy! Maybe he'd even like to help bake his own birthday cake...
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    you should still get him some fun toys. Even a little play guitar. Coloring stuff. Play d'oh set! Everyone loves lego.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    My son turns 4 on Sunday and we've bought him a new scooter as his is falling apart, and is a bit too small for him. We live right by the seafront so go out a lot. He likes to be active. He also loves train sets and duplo Lego.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I vote Play Doh. My boys still like to play with it at ages 8-12. It's always been a favorite. If he already has some, just get some new colors & tools to go with it.
  • laurenkoszola
    laurenkoszola Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Do you have a decent size backyard? Maybe get him a little sand box, they have ones that come with an area for water and even have umbrellas attached. My daughter loved hers, it was Finding Nemo!
  • tobejune
    tobejune Posts: 177
    Options
    All great ideas, thanks.

I think I'll probably go with some sort of activity (+ ICE CREAM!!) as he already has a bike and a sandbox and some playdough, lol..

Thanks for the input. :)
  • hendelk
    hendelk Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Maybe a tent and a sleeping bag and then have a backyard campout with him. My youngest just turned 4 and we gave him a Cars sleeping bag (already have a tent), but its been too cold around here at night for a campout. He loves the sleeping bag though!
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Take a nice photograph of your family during the outing and be sure to hang the picture somewhere he can see it everyday. My little ones always enjoyed (and the youngest still is) looking at them and retelling the story of that particular day. Have a great time! :flowerforyou: