Staying on track while sick, suggestions, tips?

Options
I've had a cold for a week now. I've been trying to keep my calories relatively in control, though bad me, I haven't been logging, just keeping relative mental tabs. I haven't had the energy to work out and now I've got the cough in the lungs so it will be a while before I can work out again.

Does anyone have any tips on motivation while sick? To not say fudge it I want this brownie, I'm sick and I want a treat?

Thanks!

Replies

• Finnellappe
    Options
    Eat as much nutritious stuff as possible to help you recover faster, don't worry about exercise until you feel better and if you do indulge, indulge with something small that comes in individual portions to keep it's effects on your diet low. I think the general consensus is worry about getting better first though.
  • yelldan22
    yelldan22 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am still working on getting over the same cold (caught it 2 weeks ago) but it is out of my chest now and I feel on the mend. I too had it move to my chest in the 2nd week. While I can't say I've done well with watching what I ate over those 2 weeks, I understand it is hard. I tried focusing on just staying within my calories for the day since I knew I wouldn't be working out. I ate lots of oranges and apples for the vitamins. Don't push yourself too hard. You don't want a relapse. If you can take a slow walk around the neighborhood just to get you out and working those lungs. Like Finnellappe said, worry about getting better first.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    feed a cold, starve a fever? or is it the other way around. Anyways. being sick really has no implications to how/what you should eat. As long as the "fudge it, I want a brownie" mentality doesnt carry into when you're healthy again, then fudge it, have a brownie. if this sickness is going to be a platform you use to revert to old habits, then i'd say stay away from brownies.

I generally try to nurse an illness for the first few days, and then when the actual fever/body aches go away and I'm just left with a phlemy cough, it's time to get back in the gym, though nowhere as intensely as when I'm healthy. The cough you're talking about is the last residual portion of your illness and will be the last thing to go before you're healthy again..and it's an indicator that you're getting better...so maybe it's time to get back on the wagon.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I'm sick at the moment. Chest infection & a bad head cold. You will find me still doing my normal workout despite coughing up some nasty stuff as well as sweating more than usual. I've taken Echinacea tablets & it's helping heaps. Water water & more water. I still managed to push out 6 miles of working out (walk at home but more intense the way I do it) and feel better for it.

Way I see it, I'm not dead. I can still breathe & therefore I have no excuse. But then I'm a tough :glasses: