Is Summer the easiest time to loose weight?

Options

Replies

• grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I always lose more in summer, love just going for walks when its warm and tend to eat salads and light foods and it keeps me satisfied.

Obviously there's still more drinking and bbqs in summer which I love doing too but I hosted one last night and I'd lost this morning! Must have been all the preparing and running around after guests!
    :D

I was at a bit of a plateau, then the weather got better and I lost 2-3 lbs in about a month! Before I had a 1 lb loss per month if I was lucky!
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on where you live. I live in Florida. In the summer we tend to stay indoors, it's too not to be outside most if the day--except to swim. In the winter we get out and do things. Even our growing seasons are months ahead of those in the north. The thought of taking a nice long walk after dinner when it's 84 degrees with 80% humidity, no thanks. In the winter when it's 64 with low humidity, grab a jacket and enjoy the walk.
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    For me no. I don't know what it is, but when I am on the beach, or just coming off the beach, I am ravenous! For what ever reason, food tastes better to me in the summer, and I tend to over eat. I am outside more, and burn more energy, but it doesn't make up the difference. I am going to be more aware of my choices this year though.
  • NJD2885
    NJD2885 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    It is for me, when it's nice out I want to spend most of my time outside and I find I don't want to eat as much either :smile:
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    For me I think spring summer and fall are all WAY easier than winter. Winter it is cold the days are shorter and all the holidays are here. Christmas and Thanksgiving. Summer time does consist of cookouts and alcohol yes however, these generally mean I am eating a hotdog some chicken and corn on the cob (a lot better than pumpkin pie mashed potatoes and green bean casserole) and then I am running around swimming and working off the vast majority of it! Also, I am definitely less hungry in the heat and more thirsty which means it is very easy to get my water in. :) I LOVE summer!!!
  • twinkiemon
    twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I think Summer is easier for me because all the yummy, healthy fruits and veggies are in season and therefore easier to afford.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    For the most part, it is. We tend to be more active when it's nice out and we're eating more seasonal (and therefore fresh) foods which are good for us. Of course there are exceptions because it can also be a more social time of year so there may be lots of food temptations at parties/BBQs and drinking. But even that can be controlled with some planning and prep.

My personal theroy - the opposite is true in the winter - most of us aren't very active because it's cold, icy and snowy out and our bodies crave carby stuff because that's also seasonal (harvested root veggies) and our bodies want to store up some fat to keep us warm and see us through the bleak season. Think about how native cultures survived the seasons without all the things we have today. In the warmer months you hunt, plant and harvest/gather. In the cold months you're living off food stores and you stay in where it's safe and warm.

My husband has summer stomach too. His appetite decreases quite a bit this time of year and when it's really hot out he has absolutely no interest in eating. I'm still hungry but I just want to eat BBQ'd meat and veggies.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I seem to be loosing weight fairly easily at the moment - is this because the weather is hot, perhaps suppressing my appetite?

I am being really active in the garden, and generally spending allot of time outside.

Thinking back to the winter months - I was just wanting to eat and snack - is my body programmed to do this?

I also feel more romantically motivated !

Anyone else getting this?

Perhaps I have a seasonal disorder?

Cheers

Richard

Winter is a bad time for me. I am dreading this winter, i will just have to ensure that I stock up on homemade soup (the only food that stops me from overeating in Winter).
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I would say it's equally tough to lose in summer or winter. It gets darker in winter early so instead of snacking I could probably go to bed LOL. Summertime at our house means BBQs, marshmallow roasting and drinking also so that doesn't help things. I think overall I prefer to lose over the summer but that's because I started running in March and - well - blah! I think I'm spoiled now heheehe.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    For me, it doesn't matter what time of year it is. Spring summer and fall, the great weather makes me want to be outside and run. Holiday season is my busy season - I work in retail, and my hours mean very few parties, plus just running around like crazy at work and at home. In fact, planning a bulk for September-early November, just to have some weight to lose over Christmas (I average 10-15 pounds lost of Christmas every year) January-March I want to make a great head start on my fitness goals for the year, which makes me push.
  • RBrigzy
    RBrigzy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Wahhoo! .. what a truly fascinating set of replies from all over the World!

Just wanted to say what a gr8 community of motivating folk there is here.

If anyone wants to be my friend - it sais I don;t have any ;(

Richard :)
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    It is for me, I seem to have less of an appetite, except that I crave fruit, don't know why. I'm also outside more, doing yard/gardening work. Its also lighter longer, so I am able to walk the dogs more.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I find fall/winter months are easier for me. I love being outside when it's cooler.

The summer heat and humidity makes me sluggish and I find that I have less motivation to workout in that kind of weather. Not to mention I hate bugs. Ugh.

ETA: (East coast of Canada, here, btw.)
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hi! For me, it definitely is! My work and home environment has no air conditioning, so it helps to be constantly sweating! Or, the nice weather just calls for me to be active outside: cutting lawn, washing car, walking, etc...

I think cold weather enhances our appetites b/c our bodies are working to stay warm. And when it's warm out, higher temps make us feel like not eating...at least that's how I am. So, I completely agree!

I lost 20 lbs June-August 2012, then I stayed at that weight until currently; which guess what? The nice weather is back! I just lost another 15!! Yayaya!! You're definitely NOT ALONE!

Good luck! I know I have to work at not getting into an overeating routine again around the holidays this year...

Feel free to add me!
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    No way... it's too hot and humid to go outside most days.
    Yes, here on the Gulf Coast of the US the weather is much more pleasant in winter than summer. I try to exercise outside in the early morning, but it's still unpleasantly hot.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    It is so much easier to stay active in the summer. My family is constantly walking around in the summer. Winters in Buffalo are tough. Sometimes we're stuck in the house for weeks because its too cold/windy - we spend a lot of time watching movies and being cozy.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I think the heat helps to suppress my hunger. Don't feel like eating as much, but unfortunately, makes me crave sweet iced drinks more like an iced latte..
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    It's easier for me.... the pool is open. And I am not really a gym person... I prefer to be outside walking, biking, etc.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Environment and discipline usually dictate how much easier it will be for one to lose.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I always lose weight in the summer. More sunshine = more playing outside and less hungry.