Can't net less than 2000-2100

Options
anemoneprose
anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
I just can't do it in a sustainable way without overhauling my lifestyle and preferences completely. And even then (I have tried), I'm still too hungry to function comfortably in life.

Weight's fine - I've been stable, maintaining for 2 years. Trying to do a 10% cut to deal with skinny fat. In theory, that should be around 1600-1800, with my current activity level.

But I have NEVER been able to eat less than 1800. I lost my weight at ~1800-2000, and am now just really unhappy at less than 2000, preferably 2100 or even 2300.

Briefly tried IF, quickly realized it's not for me.

I could probably burn a few extra hundred calories a week, but there's an upper limit to the intensity of my workouts (amount of weight I can lift, or cardio I can do), because I am working around chronic pain.

Trying to decide if it's time to accept my skinny fat, or try to tweak a bit more.. any thoughts? What are the tradeoffs you've made or are willing to make, and why?

Replies

• anemoneprose
    Options
    bmp
  • jamiesillimandunn
    jamiesillimandunn Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I am by no means an expert or have even reached my potential as of yet to my lifestyle change but I may suggest Pilates to you , since your dealing with your pain. Lifting weights can be trying for some of us ...I have a Pilates power gym ( resistance) training that I can tell is working my muscles like crazy !! But it is done slowly for maximum results ! I can feel it working all muscles , ones I never knew I even had :)
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    I am by no means an expert or have even reached my potential as of yet to my lifestyle change but I may suggest Pilates to you , since your dealing with your pain. Lifting weights can be trying for some of us ...I have a Pilates power gym ( resistance) training that I can tell is working my muscles like crazy !! But it is done slowly for maximum results ! I can feel it working all muscles , ones I never knew I even had :)

Thank you for the recommendation :) It's been suggested to me for rehab purposes, and I've heard that about Pilates, that people feel very aware of themselves in a totally new way. I hope to try it myself, soon, when I find a beginner's class that suits my schedule :)

Right now, I'm been doing the weights that I can (less heavy than before, and with some substitutions for big lifts).
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    How about swimming/aquafit? Would that be doable for you?

Also have you tried ading a large side salad (no/minimal dressing) to your meals?
  • b4u386
    b4u386 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    No-one can give you sensible realistic advice without further information. Weight? Height? TDEE? BMR? Current exercise? Current diet? What are you macros set to and do you fit your diet to them?

Without knowing any of these, only thing I can say is eat more protein. It'll fill you up. If you don't like eggs, chicken or fish then you can load up on protein shakes (although dietary protein is always the preference). Optimum Nutrition is the best shake (IMO) - they have lots of flavours, so pick one to suit you.

I'm afraid if you aren't willing to change your 'lifestyle and preferences' and you can't exercise, you aren't going to get very far.

Search for the in place of a road map thread and you'll find everything you need.
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    I just can't do it in a sustainable way without overhauling my lifestyle and preferences completely. And even then (I have tried), I'm still too hungry to function comfortably in life.

Weight's fine - I've been stable, maintaining for 2 years. Trying to do a 10% cut to deal with skinny fat. In theory, that should be around 1600-1800, with my current activity level.

But I have NEVER been able to eat less than 1800. I lost my weight at ~1800-2000, and am now just really unhappy at less than 2000, preferably 2100 or even 2300.

I could probably burn a few extra hundred calories a week, but there's an upper limit to the intensity of my workouts (amount of weight I can lift, or cardio I can do), because I am working around chronic pain.

Trying to decide if it's time to accept my skinny fat, or try to tweak a bit more.. any thoughts? What are the tradeoffs you've made or are willing to make, and why?

So glad I'm not the only one struggling with this! (That's why my profile is a T-Rex :p) I don't know what your measurements are, or why you think you are skinny fat - but perhaps if you did more strength training you might lean out a bit (or put on some muscle from the calorie excess) and look better overall. (That's my theory anyway...) About the chronic pain I'm not sure what to suggest - low impact exercises like stationery bike? Or machine-assisted strength training? I find these easier on the joints but obviously fewer calorie burns.

Feel free to add me as a friend, then you can see what my diary looks like. Like you I almost never eat below 2100-2200 calories a day (MFP gives me 1770 but I eat a lot more on workout days...sometimes 2800-3000, and these are not binges, I am genuinely ravenous). Am maintaining, although in dreamland I'd like to lose an extra two-three pounds, nothing major. I do however a lot of cardio and some strength training and I'm blessed with a fair bit of muscle mass (I am female).

People have suggested eating more protein, drinking water before meals, more veggies etc, never helped one jot I must say. There are certain things I won't eat, and others I must eat; and when I gotta eat, I gotta eat.

I'm seriously amazed at all the 'I can't eat 1200 calories a day, too full' people. Baffled. Je ne comprends pas...
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    What kind of foods are you eating to get yourself in the 2000 range? Some things are more filling than others. I always have a protein shake on lifting days to hit my goal, and it can be up there in calories, but it doesn't leave me feeling full for very long. "Real foods" do give me a more satiated feeling for longer.

Other than that, there is no reason not to do more low intensity cardio instead of a shorter high intensity cardio. Get a pedometer and try getting your daily steps up. Park a little farther away from your building. Take the stairs. Walk on lunch breaks.
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    No-one can give you sensible realistic advice without further information. Weight? Height? TDEE? BMR? Current exercise? Current diet? What are you macros set to and do you fit your diet to them?

Without knowing any of these, only thing I can say is eat more protein. It'll fill you up. If you don't like eggs, chicken or fish then you can load up on protein shakes (although dietary protein is always the preference). Optimum Nutrition is the best shake (IMO) - they have lots of flavours, so pick one to suit you.

I'm afraid if you aren't willing to change your 'lifestyle and preferences' and you can't exercise, you aren't going to get very far.

Search for the in place of a road map thread and you'll find everything you need.

Sorry! Good point :blushing:

5'7, 129 lbs, current bf% = ~25-29 (guessing; used to be closer to ~23)

TDEE: Maintaining this weight at 2000-2400
    BMR: somewhere around 1300 according to the calculator, but I suspect it's really higher than that, because I should be bigger/heavier than I am

Current exercise: just started this a couple of weeks ago: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/anemoneprose . Full-body weights, using machines/cables/bodyweight exercises to sub for squats/deads. Sticking with higher reps because of concerns around injury, and, higher reps let me attend to form in a more focused way

Current diet: I set my macros at 30/40/30 carbs/protein/fat, usually get at least close to it. Tend to go a bit over in fat & carbs. I have fibre goals (20-25) and usually hit those.

Typical breakfast: eggs, salmon or proscuitto, 1 piece toast, coffee w cream & sugar

Lunch: sometimes - tuna or turkey sandwich; convenience food: small portions of indian curries (i know) or quesadillas or chicken souvlaki

Dinner: steak & 1 piece rye + salad or steamed veg, OR, a pasta (85g dry) with a tomato sauce & some kind of meat (squid, chicken, sausage) & veg

Snacks: fruit, or, a piece of rye and something like a red pepper spread or hummous

Weekends: occasional alcohol, ~3-5 drinks (vodka/soda)

Protein shakes: just started on these, to help with recovery. I have the plain powder which tastes awful; have been putting 1 teaspoon brown sugar & vanilla in, with 2% milk and berries, to make it palatable.

Thanks for your help :)

edit: recently, have been relying more than usual on fast food, because I'm getting used to a huge change in schedule - so burgers & pizza are in there too, not saying I"m perfect. Has not yet affected my weight, but am changing that asap
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    What kind of foods are you eating to get yourself in the 2000 range? Some things are more filling than others. I always have a protein shake on lifting days to hit my goal, and it can be up there in calories, but it doesn't leave me feeling full for very long. "Real foods" do give me a more satiated feeling for longer.

Other than that, there is no reason not to do more low intensity cardio instead of a shorter high intensity cardio. Get a pedometer and try getting your daily steps up. Park a little farther away from your building. Take the stairs. Walk on lunch breaks.

Hey Mav! I should open my diary, really :) Will do, now!

Agree, protein shakes are ridiculous for calories. I've started with them to help with recovery (had been having just way too much DOMS), but yeah, not sure they're worth it... may go back to cottage cheese.

That's a point. I think more cardio might have to be it!

• anemoneprose
    Options

So glad I'm not the only one struggling with this! (That's why my profile is a T-Rex :p) I don't know what your measurements are, or why you think you are skinny fat - but perhaps if you did more strength training you might lean out a bit (or put on some muscle from the calorie excess) and look better overall. (That's my theory anyway...) About the chronic pain I'm not sure what to suggest - low impact exercises like stationery bike? Or machine-assisted strength training? I find these easier on the joints but obviously fewer calorie burns.

Feel free to add me as a friend, then you can see what my diary looks like. Like you I almost never eat below 2100-2200 calories a day (MFP gives me 1770 but I eat a lot more on workout days...sometimes 2800-3000, and these are not binges, I am genuinely ravenous). Am maintaining, although in dreamland I'd like to lose an extra two-three pounds, nothing major. I do however a lot of cardio and some strength training and I'm blessed with a fair bit of muscle mass (I am female).

People have suggested eating more protein, drinking water before meals, more veggies etc, never helped one jot I must say. There are certain things I won't eat, and others I must eat; and when I gotta eat, I gotta eat.

I'm seriously amazed at all the 'I can't eat 1200 calories a day, too full' people. Baffled. Je ne comprends pas...

Ha! I don't get those people either!

It's a comfort to know I'm not alone :)

Regarding suggestions around diet - I know what you mean. Sometimes nothing but a steak will hit the spot!
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    How about swimming/aquafit? Would that be doable for you?

Also have you tried ading a large side salad (no/minimal dressing) to your meals?

Swimming is indeed doable, thank you :) It's sometimes annoying for scheduling, but, definitely doable.

Salads - my stomach isn't fooled by them!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Two words: lift heavy.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    what are u? man woman age body pics??? pointless
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    what are u? man woman age body pics??? pointless

woman, 36, no pics, sorry.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

this

you dont need more cardio if you are skinny fat - though 23% bodyfat is NOT skinny fat... its at the low end of normal bodyfat for a woman.
  • anemoneprose
    Options

this

you dont need more cardio if you are skinny fat - though 23% bodyfat is NOT skinny fat... its at the low end of normal bodyfat for a woman.

Thanks - I used to be at 23, now am closer probably to 25-29%. Measurements have gone up an inch since time off for my ankle (weight unchanged).

I'm not lifting heavy because of crappy joints and proneness to arthritis. Typical rep range: 10-25.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If you have arthritis, lifting can be very difficult. Definitely look into doing something in the water - swimming, water aerobics, I hear there's even water zumba! Biking can also be a good option (stationary or mobile) as it's fairly easy on the joints.

I'm not one to eat salads much either - unless I bulk them up with lots of protein (legumes, grilled meat) and full fat dressing. That's the only way they're satisfying to me. Fiber and carbs just don't do anything for me, I have to have protein and healthy fats to feel full and it sounds like you're the same. And unfortunately most of that is also calorie dense.

Greek yogurt is a great source of protein too. Try to go with the real ones (not greek style) and eat plain if you can. It's a bit odd tasting at first but you get used to it.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Weight loss is certainly not the answer for you. I think you should find a workout that incorporates strengthening moves without exacerbating your pain and just be patient. Eat at maintenance and lift as heavy as you can. These changes fake time and you're fortunate that you're maintaining your weight on a reasonable calorie intake--I wouldn't go messing that up!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Maybe try to increase the protein in your snacks a little. I apologize in advance but I'm one of those 1200 calorie people but my diet is mostly protein and I get fats from things like almonds.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options

Sorry! Good point :blushing:

5'7, 129 lbs, current bf% = ~25-29 (guessing; used to be closer to ~23)

TDEE: Maintaining this weight at 2000-2400
    BMR: somewhere around 1300 according to the calculator, but I suspect it's really higher than that, because I should be bigger/heavier than I am

Current exercise: just started this a couple of weeks ago: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/anemoneprose . Full-body weights, using machines/cables/bodyweight exercises to sub for squats/deads. Sticking with higher reps because of concerns around injury, and, higher reps let me attend to form in a more focused way

Current diet: I set my macros at 30/40/30 carbs/protein/fat, usually get at least close to it. Tend to go a bit over in fat & carbs. I have fibre goals (20-25) and usually hit those.

Typical breakfast: eggs, salmon or proscuitto, 1 piece toast, coffee w cream & sugar

Lunch: sometimes - tuna or turkey sandwich; convenience food: small portions of indian curries (i know) or quesadillas or chicken souvlaki

Dinner: steak & 1 piece rye + salad or steamed veg, OR, a pasta (85g dry) with a tomato sauce & some kind of meat (squid, chicken, sausage) & veg

Snacks: fruit, or, a piece of rye and something like a red pepper spread or hummous

Weekends: occasional alcohol, ~3-5 drinks (vodka/soda)

Protein shakes: just started on these, to help with recovery. I have the plain powder which tastes awful; have been putting 1 teaspoon brown sugar & vanilla in, with 2% milk and berries, to make it palatable.

Thanks for your help :)

edit: recently, have been relying more than usual on fast food, because I'm getting used to a huge change in schedule - so burgers & pizza are in there too, not saying I"m perfect. Has not yet affected my weight, but am changing that asap

We're about the same height weight, and I also am not comfortable under 1800. And by not comfortable, I mean, dizzy, disoriented, confused, nonfunctional etc... I do about 10 hours of intense training a week though. My body fat is in the teens. You sound like you're healthy. Your body fat is also healthy (I'm assuming your a woman, which makes your body fat pretty ideal). Just stop with the skinny fat nonsense and start working on your body image... there's nothing wrong with your body.

On the other hand, if you want the body of an athlete, you're going to have to train like an athlete, which might not be realistic if you have health limitations or other priorities. Have you tried something like flow yoga? Great for rehab and might increase what you're capable of doing in general. Cycling is a great option too. I'd drop the weights, switch to yoga and Pilates for strength / recovery / injury prevention, and do cycling and swimming (interval style) for cardio / additional strength. This is not a 30 minute a day strength routine though, this would be more like 90 minutes per day, 60 at a bare minimum.

One thing that has worked for me when I want to cut calories below where I'm fully functional is to cut them out at the end of the day. Have a piece of fruit or something for dinner, then just sip tea or something. I don't have to worry too much about not being very functional because I'm just relaxing for a few hours then sleeping. This seems to work fine for at least a week.