Salsa Crockpot Chicken

Options
byustrongman
byustrongman Posts: 74 Member
This is a recipe I just picked up along the way and tweaked to my likings.

61 oz of chicken
1 giant jar of salsa (I use Jack's Mild from costco, and the macros I have are for that)
6 oz of cream cheese
Frank's red hot

Mix the first two ingredients in the crockpot, cook for 6 hours on high, covered, then add cream cheese and hot sauce and cook another 2-3 hours uncovered so as to cook off some liquid. Remove chicken, shred, then re-add. I portion it out into 2 cup containers and it makes about 18 cups worth of food.

Macros (for one cup)

219 Calories
9 g of fat
7 g of carbs (which I think might actually only be 4, because the macros for 61 oz of chicken I got claimed it had 30 g of carbs in it. I don't know that chicken actually has any carbs, but it's a miniscule amount, regardless)
26 g of protein

So in a 2 cup serving you get 440 calories, 18 g of fat, 8-14 g of carbs, and 52 g of protein, and it tastes amazing.

Replies

• mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Do you use boneless or skinless chicken?
    White or dark meat?
    or do you just throw the whole thing in there?
  • byustrongman
    Options
    Do you use boneless or skinless chicken?
    White or dark meat?
    or do you just throw the whole thing in there?

Just frozen chicken breast, so white meat, skinless.

Throw in chicken and salsa, wait six hours, then throw in cream cheese and hot sauce.
  • hopefloatsup
    hopefloatsup Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I make this as well, but throw in a can of black beans (rinsed/drained) and a bag of frozen corn as well. Then I use them for enchilada mix :-) So delicious! We use this for enchiladas or burrito bowls and it's super delicious and SO easy!!
  • Fordtraktor
    Options
    I do this recipe without the cream cheese and hot sauce. Tasty, healthy and a good option for working folks..you can put it on in the morning and it is ready when you get home. Any amount of chicken breast covered in salsa will work. Highly recommend.
  • byustrongman
    Options
    Yeah, I just love frank's, and it's zero calorie. The cream cheese just helps to thicken things up and add a little fat.
  • krouse83
    krouse83 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • darstus
    darstus Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gabbylab
    gabbylab Posts: 146
    Options
    bump
  • ally_cole
    ally_cole Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bump for recipe!
  • redwingsfan6712
    redwingsfan6712 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I do this too only I use 3 whole chicken breasts, a packet of taco seasoning and a jar of salsa. YUM!
  • crthompson2
    Options
    I fixed this and added black beans....it was very good and will fix it again soon
  • katelynal
    katelynal Posts: 114
    Options
    I tried making the chicken in the crockpot with just the salsa and that taste was a little 'harsh' to me for lack of a better term. I will try this next time with the cream cheese and Franks, plus the black beans that someone else suggested. Thanks for posting!
  • luulu1999
    luulu1999 Posts: 119
    Options
    I have made this before and LOVED it!!! Ill have to get it back on my menu
  • emrsmommy
    emrsmommy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    bump
  • phasesme
    phasesme Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FunnyBunnyHunny
    FunnyBunnyHunny Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • USMCnetty90
    USMCnetty90 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    This is one of my all time favorite recipies - I use taco seasoning, salsa, and chicken breasts.... then half a brick of cream cheese the last hr to 30 min ...
    Just made this on Saturday night for Game 2 of the Stanley Cup finals... there were not leftovers... sadly my team lost.. but the food was good.