Moving to Nashville this summer.... any advise?

Options
mnfrank11
mnfrank11 Posts: 35 Member
Hello MFP! I am moving to Nashville, TN in August for a new job promotion and have never been there in my life! I am pretty adventurous and have moved often, but it was over seas and I didn't really have any belongings to move except clothing. This time it's going to be a full on furniture move, and did I mention i'm moving 1/2 way across the country? hahaha (crazy i know)

Anyone live in Nashville? Made a cross country move? Any advise would be MUCH appreciated in that I am going at this blind.... :)

Replies

• violetbluemornings
    violetbluemornings Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I moved from California to PA 5 years ago because my boyfriend and I got pregnant and we thought we should finally just live together so I chose to move to PA where he lives. Talk about culture shock!!! I just got rid of all my furniture and we shipped little things. I imagine moving your furniture might be one of the most hectic things on your to-do list!
    do you have friends and Family in Nashville? That would make the move a lot easier. I had NONE. But i had my BF and our little boy. I still dont have any real friends here as I work from home and just dont make a effort to go out and meet ppl.
    Congrats on your promotion though!! So awesome :):)
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I went to college close to Nashville and I would say to be sure to invest in Off Bug Repellent.!!

Summers in the South can get in the 100's and when that happen all the bugs come out of the woodwork.Those mosquitoes and ticks will eat you alive without the bug repellant. Also, I would say try to get to know people as much as possible. People are somewhat friendly in Nashville so try to get to know at least someone in the town. Also, be sure to keep either your cell phone or mace on you at all times. Nashville may not be a big city but it is still the city.

All in all good luck...I would warn you about the possibility of gaining weight from all the yummy food there but you'll be fine.
  • mnfrank11
    Options
    Thanks ladies! Great recommendations.
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    You're so lucky!! Nashville is a gorgeous city and really fun! And the surrounding area is beautiful. ::sigh:: I love the south...you'll love it!! People are so nice down there and southern hospitality is still in full force. Congrats! You'll be fine!
  • mnfrank11
    Options
    Thanks Lauren! I am really looking forward to it. I live in the south now (Dallas) but I hear Nashville is more of the "southern charm" where as Dallas is really becoming the "urban chic" feel. I loved Dallas, but I'm so ready for a new adventure.
  • mmariag
    mmariag Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Oh, I have visited Nashville a couple times and it's really nice there. I live in LA and moving to TN too next month! : )
  • cmccoy0901
    cmccoy0901 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have lived in TN my whole life and I live in a city outside Nashville. It's very pretty here. The hardest thing to living in Nashville is know how to navigate. It can very confusing in Nashville, but that mainly depends on where and what side of Nashville you will be living in. Good luck with your move and I hope you enjoy Nashville.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    but Predators season tickets.

because hockey is awesome.

I have 2 cousins living in Nashville and they love it.
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Our daughter went to school just outside Nashville so we visited several times. The city is very pretty and of course has a country flavor to it. There is a lot of downtown areas to explore and some very interesting public parks (Centennial) close to the Capitol. The people are sincerely friendly and there is every type of food you could wish for.

As far as moving, it is always hard work and life is upside down for a while but in the end hopefully worth it. Best of luck to you.
  • rhonderoo
    rhonderoo Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I live in Memphis, but grew up in TN and going to Nashville quite a bit. Downtown is nice, and there are great places to eat and see (moderately :D ) around Vanderbilt is the Parthenon, and a lot of quaint little restaurants like Noshville - a great Jewish style deli made from on old diner. There's also this great Irish pub/restaurant McNamar's. Franklin is a beautiful town right outside of Nashville with a lot of artsy shops and stuff. There's also Opryland Mall (or Shopryland, as locals call it!) Coach factory outlet, IMAX theater, all kinds of stuff. Another good thing about Nashville is it's close to a LOT of other things. By close I mean 3 hours of so driving distance :p but still. Smoky Mountains and Gatlinburg, Atlanta and Chattanooga are fairly close, as is Cincinnati and even Indianapolis is a four hr drive, so you can see a lot of the midwest or south from this one city. Good luck!
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Get your defensive driving skills ready. People in Nashville are ca-raaaazzy drivers :-)

I love the town, and have lots of friends there. I think you'll really enjoy it.
  • alexandrazzzz
    alexandrazzzz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I just moved here for the summer!! Not so bad!!! Moved from NJ
  • alexandrazzzz
    alexandrazzzz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Aww Im from pa....I love CA...That must have been a big shocker!!! DId you get sad?