dry skin/hair

Options
i am in my 30s and have very dry skin and hair, probably hereditary. i'm watching my diet now and try to use as little oil as possible when cooking or making salads. will this further affect my skin or hair? if so, is there a minimum amount of oil that one needs a day?

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    If you have too little fat in your diet, yes, this can affect your skin and hair. The minimum depends on how much you can fit into your macros or calories in a day.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You should aim for at least .35 grams of fat per pound of body weight. So for me, I'm 125 pounds so my minimum fat intake should be 44 grams of fat.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Yes, I always eat 50-70 grams of fat, and I'm only 100 pounds.
  • gracieloo8
    gracieloo8 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would supplement with fish oil. It makes my skin really supple.
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    make sure you get in some healthy fats; nuts are a great snack and healthy source of fats
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    sometimes its not just fat. you may just be naturally like that.

this sounds retarded but oatmeal baths worked for me.
    get a blender. get some oatmeal. blend the oatmeal to dust.

get a real hot bath and put the oatmeal powder in there. it helps with dry skin and helps with elasticity.
    google oatmeal bath.
  • 122ish
    122ish Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I take vitamin e oil and that seems to help me, I also eat coconut oil. R u drinking plenty of water, and not water mixed with anything. Just plain water over 8 cups.

My skin is not so dry just parts of my face but it seems to have improved a bit with vitamin e capsules
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    are you drinking enough? that could also affect your dry skin
  • 365Primal
    365Primal Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I used to have chronic dry skin and hair when I ate per the recommendations of the food pyramid. I nixed that, went primal (high fat, moderate protein, moderate-low carb), no more problems. Of course, make sure your getting enough water!
  • larabarbara
    Options
    thanks for all the suggestions. up until a month ago, i used to drink a lot of beer, very little water and survived on 4 to 6 hours' sleep daily - which probably were contributing factors. i hope it's not too late to see an improvement or at least keep the premature wrinkles and laugh lines in check.

i am pescetarian but trying to move towards a totally plant-based diet, so i will include more nuts, nut butters, avocados and be a little more generous when using oil at home.
  • foodcart
    foodcart Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is also excellent applied topically. I use it as my moisturizer after I get out of the shower and also slather my hair in it and leave it in a bun over night the night before I wash my hair. It's greatly improved both my skin and hair.
  • Twinklegirl34
    Twinklegirl34 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I too find coconut oil to be amazing , was really surprised how quickl my skin absorbed it and is a great moisturiser for my long hair
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Don't cut your fats. Aim for 30% and see if your skin and hair improve.
  • larabarbara
    Options
    does coconut oil have a very strong smell?
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    does coconut oil have a very strong smell?

If you get the virgin coconut oil, yes, it will. If you get the expeller-pressed coconut oil, no it will not smell or taste like coconut.