Muscle Soreness Help?

Options
I just started a new workout, the Brazil Butt Lift. As you can imagine the program has lots of squats and lunges. I finished day two yesterday and I am SO sore. I don't think I have been this sore from any workout before. Today is a rest day, thank goodness!!! Is there anything I can do to help reduce this muscle soreness?

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Get moving. Go for a walk, maybe so a few easy squats/lunges while you are out and about.

Over time your body will get used to the new level of effort you are requiring of it and the pain will receed.

Google "DOMS" or "delayed onset muscle soreness" for more info on what's happening to you right now.
  • PrimalGirl
    PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I find swimming really helps - zero impact muscle movement.

Alternatively, grit your teeth and embrace the pain, knowing you'll have an *kitten* to die for soon enough!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Move! Staying idol makes things MUCH worse!
    Try some yoga stretches (I frequent YouTube and search "yoga for sore muscles"), a hot bath, some massage (it's kind of agony though) and go for a walk/jog

I take a women's TKD/fitness class, and I've been sore pretty much since January lol ... "they" say it gets easier, but I'm pushing myself harder, so I always hurt, and I love it!
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Advil
  • AutumnRed84
    AutumnRed84 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I can definitely tell a difference when I have been sitting for a while versus up and moving around. I unfortunately have a desk job, so I will be sitting for the next 8 hours!! I do make sure I get up every hour, get more water, strech my legs etc. I thought about going on a walk this evening but wasn't for sure if that was a good idea since I am suppose to be doing a rest day.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    a painkiller
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    The only easy way to reduce "DOMS" in a particular muscle is to exercise it more frequently than you are currently.
  • dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Walking, more body weight squats/lunges, stretching, foam rolling, just something to get the blood flowing to those sore areas.
  • FUELERDUDE
    FUELERDUDE Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Get moving. Go for a walk, maybe so a few easy squats/lunges while you are out and about.

Over time your body will get used to the new level of effort you are requiring of it and the pain will receed.

Google "DOMS" or "delayed onset muscle soreness" for more info on what's happening to you right now.

This is what I was going to say.
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Get a foam roller- I got one at Walmart/Target for $10-$15. Right after your workout, roll out the muscles in your legs for a good ten minutes. There are videos all over YouTube showing good technique. Good luck and nice work!

*Edit- Was just reading some of the above responses. I'd stay away from advil/painkillers, they retard the healing process, which means you won't be as strong and ready for your next workout as you could be.
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Ibprofeun, hot showers and icy hot does it for me.
  • kezza8888
    kezza8888 Posts: 75
    Options
    Basically there is no quick fix.....but I started Insanity last month and could barely get down the stairs for 2 days due to calf pain....then due to a holiday I stopped the programme for 2 weeks before I'd barely started and had to start again yesterday - so the first thing I did this morning was a gentle 3 mile jog........ My muscles are still sore today, but totally bareable! It wasnt easy to start but once they warmed up the pain was not noticeable during the run, and it quickly goes if I get up after a long time sat down at work today....!
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I also find I hurt MUCH less when I eat high protein and drink some OJ.
    Of course, like everyone said, move around, work out that soreness as best you can too. Also fun to go to one of those in-the-mall massage guys, may not hep but feels good for cheap ;P
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    If it's in your butt, try hip openers. Just search "hip openers" on YouTube. I think I'll go do some. Eh... killed my legs this weekend too. I feel ya!

As typical as it sounds, yoga is absolutely amazing for recovery and soreness. I could barely move the other day, and I did an hour of really nice easy yogic stretching in the a.m., when I went to boxing that night, my shoulders were totally loose throughout the whole 90 minute class, no tightness, no soreness, no pain... amazing.
  • AutumnRed84
    AutumnRed84 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Sounds like I just need to keep moving!! Thanks everyone for the suggestions/comments!!