seriously complicated world of weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I should have said healthy foods then. Like lean meat, lots of veggies and fruit... all of which have not enough calories to even reach 1200 if your diet consists of them.
    You need to rethink your definition of "healthy." Olive oil is healthy. Butter is healthy. Full-fat dairy is healthy. Nuts are healthy. Avocados are healthy. Grains are healthy, unless you have a sensitivity to them. A healthy diet can also include treats once nutrient requirements are met. There's a whole world of food beyond veggies, fruit, and lean meats.
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's really not that complicated. Take a week or 2 to find out how many calories you burn in a day - in other words, approximately how many calories you consume to neither gain nor lose weight in those 2 weeks. That's your TDEE. Subtract 20% from your TDEE. That's your new daily calorie goal. Exercise hard - EAT BACK your exercise calories. If you find it's REALLY not working over the course of 2 to 3 weeks, reevaluate your TDEE. Don't expect quick weight loss. Quick weight loss is not good for the body.

^^^^^^^This is so right on!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Weightloss is so simple, that to make money, people had to over-complicate it.

When in fact, it's so simple that it can summed up in the following sentence...

Burn more than consume by eating a little less and being more active.

Done.

Well, a lot of people say: eat less, move more

But then you get the issue of people eating far too little.

So: eat more, move... morer. :bigsmile:

Edit: hrmph. I was trying to sound idiotic but apparently, "morer" is slang for more than more. So I just sound like I'm down with all the cool kids. :grumble:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I should have said healthy foods then. Like lean meat, lots of veggies and fruit... all of which have not enough calories to even reach 1200 if your diet consists of them.
    You need to rethink your definition of "healthy." Olive oil is healthy. Butter is healthy. Full-fat dairy is healthy. Nuts are healthy. Avocados are healthy. Grains are healthy, unless you have a sensitivity to them. A healthy diet can also include treats once nutrient requirements are met. There's a whole world of food beyond veggies, fruit, and lean meats.

You're wasting your time on me. I know that... now. I didn't for a long time. And you still find a LOT of people here and everywhere who are convinced that healthy eating means salads, veggies, lean meats, and that's about it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Tough love:
    If' you're saying it's complicated, then chances are you aren't ready to do it. Honestly, it sounds like you don't want to.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Disagreed. It's complicated. And I've been doing it for 5 months and lost 40 lbs. So I don't think I'm not 'ready for it'.

I always thought that the key was eating healthy and exercising... but it's just not. If you eat really healthy, you probably won't eat enough, so your metabolism will slow down... etc etc.

It's anything but simple. If it was easy, people wouldn't screw up their metabolism, put on all the weight back etc..
    It's not complicated. It really all just boils down to eating about 500 calories less than what you burn in a day to lose about a pound a week.
    People go on these ventures of "super clean eating", "super exercise regimens" etc. to lose weight, when really all it boils down to it calorie deficit.

IDEA Fitness member
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options

I do eat all the above and lose weight.
  • SaveFileCorrupt
    SaveFileCorrupt Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It's not complicated. It really all just boils down to eating about 500 calories less than what you burn in a day to lose about a pound a week.
    People go on these ventures of "super clean eating", "super exercise regimens" etc. to lose weight, when really all it boils down to it calorie deficit.

It really is that simple, assuming you're not eating foods you are unknowingly allergic to. Eat the foods you enjoy and have access to, try to acquire micronutrients through 1-2 servings of fruits and veggies a day, get enough fiber to make 2 or more BMs a day (srs).

Admittedly, some people (myself included) do better counting macros instead of calories to reach their goals. If I ate my supposed "maintenance" cals (@ 2800), I actually would be gaining weight slowly. The macros I've calculated for myself have me maintaining between 2400-2500. Not to throw more confusion into the mix, but there is no better calculator for your body than experience/trial/error.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's really not that complicated. Take a week or 2 to find out how many calories you burn in a day - in other words, approximately how many calories you consume to neither gain nor lose weight in those 2 weeks. That's your TDEE. Subtract 20% from your TDEE. That's your new daily calorie goal. Exercise hard - EAT BACK your exercise calories. If you find it's REALLY not working over the course of 2 to 3 weeks, reevaluate your TDEE. Don't expect quick weight loss. Quick weight loss is not good for the body.

TDEE *includes* exercise.

MFP forums complicate and inform. This is the only place where BMR, TDEE, NEAT are tossed around. MFP is the only site I've heard of these things and most of the time, the definitions aren't clear enough for stupid people such as myself to understand. Now that I've gotten things straight in my head, I do TDEE - % and watch myself on my Fitbit.
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Eat and drink less calories than your body needs and you will lose weight. It is only as complicated as you want to make it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Problem is it's not that easy to figure out how many calories your body needs!
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    Ah! Simple yes, but simple no. How about plateaus? If you are eating less and exercising, why does the weight not come of in a linear form?

Best advice I ever got on here and it seems to be working for me is...eat smart, exercise, and the weight will come off. It may be slow, it may have plateau's, but it will come off. Balance...some cardio, some weights, good sustainable goals and eating habits. And don't be afraid to try different things.

Good luck!
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Problem is it's not that easy to figure out how many calories your body needs!
    It's pretty easy to tell when you are above or below; the feedback just isn't as immediate as we might like.
  • hilaryhill
    hilaryhill Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Weightloss is so simple, that to make money, people had to over-complicate it.

When in fact, it's so simple that it can summed up in the following sentence...

Burn more than consume by eating a little less and being more active.

Done.

Stop it with all that common sense stuff, how the heck is Dr. Oz gonna keep making money? Seriously, this is spot on. I believe one of the reasons people give up is because they over complicate it. Pay attention to what you eat, get a little exercise. It works and I can prove it, look at my ticker.

Just had to chime in to say... WAR EAGLE. ;) (Im an Auburn Alum!)
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    TDEE, eating 2000+ calories, eat back what you burn off, good carbs vs bad carbs, BMR, water water water, good fats bad fats, 48 hour recovery, plateau's, eating something bad takes x amount of hours to burn off, minimal calorie deficits, starvation mode
    diets that work for one person but not another,

Let's just look at this part of your post.

TDEE - 20% is a solid option. This would eliminate the need to eat back exercise calories since your daily activity is built in to the calculation. Unless you have some underlying medical condition, then no need to worry about so-called "good" or "bad" carbs. Calculate your protein and fat goals and fill in the remainder with carbs. Plateaus will happen, but the TDEE - 20% gives you room to make adjustments where very low calorie eating does not. Don't look at any food as "bad". One serving of cheesecake will not make you fat just like one salad will not make you skinny. How you incorporate things into your day is important.

Starvation mode is a silly term, IMO. Metabolic adaptation is a better way to describe it. Our bodies will adjust to the amount of energy we provide it. Losing weight while eating the maximum amount of calories you can while still being at a deficit is setting yourself up for long term success.

Water is good. Not sure where you are going with the 48 hour recovery period.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's actually very simple, it's just that people like to over complicate things because they simply don't believe it's that simple and easy. It's just math...consume less than you burn.

Don't let the methods confuse you...there are two primary calorie counting methods used for weight loss. These are the NEAT method (MFP method) and TDEE method. The NEAT method (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) does not include exercise in your activity level...exercise is extra, so you eat back exercise calories. TDEE method (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) does include exercise in your activity level setting so you do NOT eat back exercise calories. Don't get wrapped up in all of the minutia...just understand what method you're using and go with the process.

Get your nutrition on and get your fitness on...recipe for good livin'
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    First of all: congrats on making a decision to live healthier!

I think if we break it down into two it can be both complicated and simple.

The food aspect is really quite simple. Calorie deficits work. Period. Eat less calories than you require to function (including your activity levels). EX: eat 2000 calories - burn 300 calories = 1700 total calories (300 cal deficit).

The psychological aspect is VERY complicated and is really what will determine success or not. Our mind and emotions determine our food dependancies. It takes time to get into the routine of an active and healthy lifestyle if you are coming from the opposite.

What works for me is really taking it one day at a time. If one day I do not do as well or make mistakes, I move on. Be kind to yourself! We are all learning daily. The turtoise and the hare are a great example of perserverance (I know, childish, but true!).
  • pandsmomCheryl
    pandsmomCheryl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Quote From Ironplayground: "Losing weight while eating the maximum amount of calories you can while still being at a deficit is setting yourself up for long term success."

That's my weight-loss philosophy in a nutshell - couldn't agree more!
  • londonboyben
    londonboyben Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    thanks all, some great replies

basically come to the conclusion (judging by the overall response) that really its just a case of calorie counting and exercise, both of which i now do when previously i did neither

think once i decided i was going to make a change i studied it all a bit too much and took more information on board than i needed too and worried that i needed to control everything from the beginning,
    truth is, if i went silly and worried about all other factors apart from calories and exercise, i don't think i could sustain it long term simply because it would drive me mental,

i am in no great rush, i understand its a long term process to change, and i have just started so i am not going to have either my diet or exercise nailed just yet, in fact i know i am far from getting both to where i need too,
    but i have changed a lot over the last month, i control my calories and i work out (need more cardio i think and will introduce it on days i am not working out) but its a massive step forward from before and over the coming weeks i will gradually add to what i am currently doing,

if i dont get results i'll hit something like carbs (i eat a lot of white pasta), but if i do i'll just carry on until i need to change it,

still stand by my title though, if you allow it to be then it is a complicated little monster!!

thanks again all
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Tough love:
    If' you're saying it's complicated, then chances are you aren't ready to do it. Honestly, it sounds like you don't want to.

IDEA Fitness member

Agreed. :)
  • londonboyben
    londonboyben Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    a little disappointed in that comment by niner (not offended), if i did'nt want too i had no reason to start,
    found learning to drive complicated when i had my 1st lesson but still wanted to drive and did it,
    found my job complicated when i started but learnt to do it well and love it now

when you want to do something you by nature over analyze it at the beginning because you want to do it well,

but give me 6 months and i make it on the success topics and we will see who is right :)