New to the site here for some advice

Options
Hi im steve.

Right now I'm unemployed but I'm starting a 2-3 year college course in September in capentry. I'm drastically out of shape, i'm one the most unhealthy people you'll ever meet. I smoke, I drink, I do drugs now and again (socially) I've spent the best part of years 16-27 slacking, sitting around on the internet, watching tv and playing video games. I really want a better life and becoming a carpenter should give me a better quality of life, only I'm so out of shape as I am now unless I change I won't be able to handle the physical demands of the job. So I'm giving up on cigarettes, drinking and slacking and joining a gym and starting a diet. It's not going to be easy but right now I weigh 17 stone (238 lbs) and my goal is to come down to 12 stone (164 lbs) so I'm looking to lose 66 lbs.

I've joined this website to try and gain some advice on the best ways to achieve this, I have alot of questions.

My diet plan is this:

Two bowls of muesli with full fat milk (i read some where you need to comsume some fat in your diet thats why i chose full fat milk), and a vegetable stir fry with chicken, consuming both of these first thing in the morning, then merely snacking on fruit for the rest of the day when I'm hungry and only drinking pure fruit juices and smoothies for fluid.

Combine this with 1-4 hours a day of exercise 5/6 times a week, this is my masterplan.

Any advice on my diet would be appreciated it I'm missing something that would help.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Protien, fat, and fiber all help you stay full.

I find it's about getting the most bang for my (calorie) buck.

OK - muesli .... not the best choice for protien.....but with whole grain there should be fiber. Full fat milk ..... maybe 2% milk instead. Maybe (log it to see the numbers) ........have 1 bowl of muesli with milk, and add a couple of eggs to breakfast instead. The eggs have protien & fat.

Stir frys are excellent ..... adding veggies is always a good choice.

Snacking on fruit is ok (add veggies too) ....but you might want more substance (again portien & fat) .... maybe add a serving of string cheese, cottage cheese, or nuts.

Pure fruit juice .....NO ! Prepared juices generally have zero fiber ..... this is just liquid sugar most of the time. Make your smoothies with spinach (or kale) ..... look into green smoothies.... maybe add a scoop of protein powder.

Water is always your best choice for fluid. It may take some getting used to .... plain unflavored water. Keep a jug in the fridge .... or if you have to add a couple of slices of citrus, cucumber, or mint.
  • fatm1ke
    fatm1ke Posts: 4
    Options
    ok thanks for the advice, i will steer clear of fruit juices and add eggs to my morning cereal!
  • jjay23
    jjay23 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    firstly congrats for wanting to make the lifestyle change.

Tea bea is right, juice is awful, so easy to drink and so many hidden calories and sugar. I would also air on the side of caution with museli as that can contain lots of added sugar. Stir fry is excellent, plenty of fruit and veg, go for avacados, salmon, nuts that sort of thing for fat content, all really good things that have worked for me.

Good Luck with everything, I find adding friends on here to help when you have a low day is fantastic. feel free to add me if you like :)
  • divacowgirl
    Options
    Hi Steve,
    First off I appreciate your honesty. That's what enables us to make changes in our lives, just know because I was and still am there. I've lost and gained back weight numerous times because I was on a 'diet'. This time I'm trying to learn how to 'live' with a healthy diet and exercise. There are no foods I can't have, diets leave me deprived and then I overindulge. Using MyFitnessPal, I stick to my allotted number of calories for the day. You can figure yours out by using MyFitnessPal BMR calculator. For breakfast, eggs are the perfect food, take just a minute to prepare and leave you full for a long time. I usually have 1 egg & 3 egg whites scrambled, sometimes I add a little cheese and a piece of whole grain toast with butter, all for under 300 calories. I've lost over 20 lbs, dropped 3 sizes and feel so much better, more energy, and for the first time in my life I actually feel like exercising (still feels weird saying that!). I was in an auto accident, on tons of prescription pain killers, barely moved myself. If I can do this you can too. Be kind to yourself, find good, supportive friends on MFP, so much help is here. Feel free to add me as a friend. Good luck Steve, you will do this!