Meal Prep. HELP!

Options
tigers217
tigers217 Posts: 25 Member
I need some tips on how to meal prep for a week and what actually tastes good left over. I enjoy almost all healthy food but the one and only time I tried to do this for a few days by the next day I was already grossed out by what was in the fridge. I have never been a leftovers fan so this was a big deal for me. Give me some ideas on how your meal prep goes for the week. What do you cook? How do you store it? etc.

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Well if you hate leftovers I would start to get yourself used to them by doing two days worth at a time, not a week. Sometimes going too hardcore may just convince you that you can't do it at all so why bother.

A lot of times I cook the meat in advance and portion it out. Then I steam fresh veggies to go with it, because I don't so much care for reheated veggies and steaming frozen veggies takes about 5 minutes tops.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I can't do leftovers! They gross me out too. I don't prep everything in advance. I didn't think I'd have time to prep my meals every day but 20 fewer minutes of TV didn't kill me (and helped me lose 30lbs).

I spend maybe 10 minutes each night prepping my bfast and lunch for the next day. I bring both to work, so it's stuff like salads, sandwiches, tuna with crackers, tabloue, veggies and hummus, greek yogurt, berries, oatmeal etc. I just bring a bunch of fresh foods that I don't need to cook or that I can heat up in the micro.

My boyfriend and I cook dinner together most nights, or one of us will cook if the other is working late. We didn't used to do this, and I asked him to help me out with this since I knew it's important to not eat out/get takeout often and he has been so great about it. We usually only have meat and veggies for dinner and we usually grill the meat. I always mix up the veggies so we won't get bored. Last night I made steak tips with roasted brussels sprouts (roasted in salt, pepper, EVOO and crushed red pepper, then drizzle with white rice vinegar and honey when done! amazing!)
  • tigers217
    Options
    Thanks guys it helps to hear how others manage it. And that I am not the only one who despises leftovers.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I don't have leftovers since I make single portion meals for myself (family eats separately/different foods). I do cook up a pound of ground sausage at a time, with diced onion, and then use that for several days in egg scrambles and stuffed mushrooms. It tastes the same as the day as it was first cooked (I reheat it on the stove, when I add it to whatever else I'm eating with it). I do the same with bacon-I love cold bacon on my salads :) I'll cook a pound and then use it over several days. I also pre-cut some things like onion, bell peppers, etc to make meal time easier, as well as hard boil a dozen eggs at a time (they'll stay for a week in the fridge as long as you keep the shell on).
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I crockpot meals on the weekend, portion them out, and freeze them for the upcoming week or so. Not sure if this helps with the leftover issue...
  • jimlambrt2
    jimlambrt2 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I grill my breakfast/lunch protein a few days at a time. Stuff like: pork ribs, burgers, beef ribs, chicken breasts. I under cook it just a bit, so when it's warmed in the microwave, it's perfectly cooked. I split up the protein into sandwich ziplock bags that match the portions I like for breakfast and lunch. I usually plan my meals one day in advanced. Before I go to bed, I decide what's for breakfast/lunch/dinner the next day, so I know I'll hit my macro nutrients and calories without a problem. On the way home from work, I can swing by the Price Chopper and get whatever I've planned for dinner (takes 5 mins, since I already know what I'm having). BTW, I adjust my snacks to eat back the calories I've burned exercising each day.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I've found that beans -- whether bean soups, bean stews, or just well-seasoned plain beans -- make amazing leftovers even a week later. As for other stuff... I'm still figuring it out myself. A couple things I like are baked potatoes and hardboiled eggs; they'll last several days in the fridge, they're delicious cold with a little salt or hot sauce, and they can be used alone as snacks or tossed into a meal very easily.

I'm mostly not "cooking" right now, though. It's so hot and I work such long hours that I ended up buying a bunch of stuff to mix and match, like a particularly easy wardrobe. Cans of tuna, some sun-dried tomatoes, fresh & frozen veggies, a variety of pre-cut lean meats, fresh fruits, and some cottage cheese = "meals" for two weeks, and I barely have to heat anything up at all.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is what you are asking about but here are some of the things I do to help with having meals or at least some of the ingredients prepped to make things easier in the future.

I cook a family pack of hamburger (5-6 lbs) all at once, drain and rinse the meat and then divide it into 1 lb portions and put it in ziplock bags which lay flat in the freezer. This is then easy to pull out for tacos, chili, spaghetti, etc.

I also cook a large package of chicken breasts and/or thighs in the crockpot all at once with some seasoning and a little bit of chicken broth, then shred that and have it on hand to make soup, enchilada/taco filling, etc. You can even put the chicken in frozen to cook.

If we are having pork tenderloin which usually comes in two tenderloins per package, I marinate and cook them both but one I take off the heat a little early so that it is just under-done. We eat the fully cooked one for dinner that night but then slice the slightly rarer one and use that for other meals later in the week - stir fry or just lunches. A lot of times I will bring a bag of Ready Rice to work along with a small package of frozen veggies and two portions of the pork tenderloin in a tupperware. If I microwave and divide up the rice and veggies I then have meals for two days that I can leave in the fridge at work in the same tupperware that I brought the pork in.

Then if I am making something that I know freezes well, like lasagna, chili, stew or enchiladas I will often make a double batch and freeze the extra portion for a future meal.
  • tigers217
    Options
    Thanks all for your help! Much appreciated :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm very fickle when it comes to food, so prepping food ahead often just results in waste for me. I often don't have a clue what I'm having for dinner until I get home from work. But I tend to grill, roast, stir fry or sautee most foods so there is not a lot of prep time other than chopping veggies, which I find relaxing.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I don't mind eating the same thing every day, so I cook in huge batches, and freeze everything away. Chili is a good one and freezes well. I also throw chicken in a crockpot with water and spices and cook it over night. Then I shred it, portion it out, and freeze it. I can use it for all sorts of things like tacos, throw it on a salad, put it on a potato with some BBQ sauce, etc. That way it's something different each time, but really reduces the prep work each time you cook.
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'll make a batch of brown rice, and a few chicken breasts and portion them out and freeze to eat during the week. Rice cooks up really well in a microwave (I add a spoonful of water and nuke it with the lid lifted at the corner).
    Also, if you're looking for breakfast stuff, muffins freeze and thaw really nicely. I'd just be careful to make ones that are slightly more nutritious, with whole wheat flower and fruits or veggies mixed in.
    Soup, too - I'll make soup and freeze it in a freezer-safe glass jar (I use the ones for jam). Just leave space at the top, thaw in the fridge the night before, and pour it in a bowl to microwave it.