How many calories burned for interval training?

Options
Hoping someone can help me. Lately I've been doing interval training - alternating between walking and jogging. When I'm walking, I'm going at a pace of 4.2. When jogging, I go up to 5.0. I alternate every two minutes between the walking and running. The treadmill indicates I burn a little over 500 calories for a half hour, which seems way too high. I was thinking maybe it would be more around 300 calories. Does anyone else have any ideas as to how many calories this activity burns?

Thanks!

Replies

• ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I would say higher then 300 but lower then 500. I burned around 200 running 5.5 today for 25 minutes on a 2 incline. I am 5 ft 5 and 115 lbs. If your any bigger then that your calorie burn will be more significant.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    When I do intervals on my elliptical my HRM tells me I burn about 450 calories in 30 minutes (I count it as 390 because I subtract my resting metabolism). I do a moderate pace most of the time with 1 30 second sprint every 5 minutes for a total of 6 sprints.

I'm 5'5" and 131 lbs. 30 years old.

Hope this helps.
  • Shoonie
    Shoonie Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks!
  • fduchon
    fduchon Posts: 1
    Options
    I just read on chacha.com, that if you can run sprints for 20mins you'll burn somewhere of about 600 calories. I did interval running where i ran a 9-10min/mile pace with 8-1min sprints so it ends up being about 30calories per minute.
  • amiele1
    Options
    This may help to get a more acurate number.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/228774-calories-burned-from-high-intensity-interval-training/

The following equation from the Journal of Sports Sciences calculates the calorie expenditure for women: Calories = [(0.074 x Age) + (0.4472 x Heart Rate) -- (0.05741 x Weight) -- 20.4022] x Time / 4.184.

Men use the following equation: Calories = [(0.2017 x Age) + (0.6309 x Heart Rate) -- (0.09036 x Weight) -- 55.0969] x Time / 4.184.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The only way anybody is going to burn 600 cal in 20 minutes is if they are running sub 4 minute miles the whole way. SInce that is faster than world record time it is a highly doubtful claim.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT for 30 minutes with sprints and stair running and burn around 320 calories...sometimes a few more if I'm having a really good day and my intensity is topped out. One thing you have to keep in mind is your overall level of fitness...you actually burn more during your workout when you are less fit as it doesn't take as much intensity to get your heart rate up (when I first started out I got a bigger burn walking at a decent clip for 30 minutes than I do now with my HIIT workouts)...as you become more fit, it becomes difficult to get bigger burns as the level of intensity much increase exponentially to get the HR up to previous levels. Also, you will burn more if you're bigger than when you are smaller.
  • Lammerchops
    Lammerchops Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Caloric burn is tied to your HR. You could be big or small, but your exertion varies depending on your fitness level (ie a small person could be way out of shape and a slightly bigger person could be a lifetime runner).

Buy a HR monitor with a chest strap and a calorie counter option.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    NEVERMIND.......I just noticed we're all responding to a really old thread from 2011....OP is deactivated...
  • britblow
    britblow Posts: 2
    Options
    ive had this same problem tryingto figure out how many calories ve been buring trying out HIIT on a stationary bike..not having much luck :/