Advice needed please :)

Options
Hello all and thanks for taking the time to read this post - I'm sure there has been a lot of these types of thread's before. I posted one like this in the past but it was before I got more help.

Basically, I am 5'8 male, 20 years old and I started trying to lose weight nearly 3 years ago at 227 lbs. I lost roughly 30lbs in my first year and nearly the entire rest in the second year. I've been unable to lose weight for as far back as I can remember, I would guess around October - November 2012.

I've tried normal dieting (cutting calories and exercise). I've tried vigorous exercise (2 hours, 5 - 7 days a week at the gym). I have worked outside as a Landscape Gardener for 3 years, 5 days a week about 8-12 hours each day. I

I had to do some juicing (Fruits, vegetables blended together) for my meals. I felt very full and satisfied and it gave me a huge burst of energy and made me feel great, to lose about 9 lbs. However I can't see me living that style of life for an extended period of time.

Recently I went to the doctors and had a blood test and my tsh ranges are in the "normal" so I do not have hypothyroidism. I thought it could be hypo, I have quite a few of the symptoms according to the NHS website, but I was tested as "normal".

I can't lose weight. It's frustrating but despite that I just want to get down to it and try to figure out what the problem i'm having is. If i wanted to(I wouldnt) I could eat 400 calories for 1 week and not lose weight. I could eat 1,500 calories and not lose weight. I have tried eating at and below my TDEE for 3-4 weeks and nothing happened.

Also, from what I can see beer doesn't seem to have any effect on my weight loss goals. I've tried losing weight without beer for over 1 year and then I was craving, drank some and It doesn't negatively affect my weight loss from what I can see.

I'm at a loss and if anyone has any suggestions please feel free to post them, thanks.

Replies

• DeeC01
    DeeC01 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi There,

I had a look at your diary, but its not filled in very often, so its very hard to tell. Do you keep a track of what you eat else where?
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    First you do not seem to be eating the proper calories, I saw no veggies, no lean protein, no complex carbs, no fruit or healthy fats..Your body reflects what you put into it,eat the right kids of foods, this is not a diet it is a way of life..You cannot out train a bad diet...
  • AndrewXB9
    AndrewXB9 Posts: 114
    Options
    First you do not seem to be eating the proper calories, I saw no veggies, no lean protein, no complex carbs, no fruit or healthy fats..Your body reflects what you put into it,eat the right kids of foods, this is not a diet it is a way of life..You cannot out train a bad diet...

I've been around here for 3 years. Like I said i've actually ate fruits and vegetables for months on end.

I love fruits and I love vegetables, It just so happens the last couple of weeks i've been busy finishing University for the summer as well as attending weddings and other event's I had planned. I am not talking about my weight loss at this exact moment, I'm talking about over the last months leading all the way back to Christmas.

That's mostly why the diary hasn't been filled out too often.

Hope this clears what I mean up for everyone else.
  • AndrewXB9
    Options
    Hi There,

I had a look at your diary, but its not filled in very often, so its very hard to tell. Do you keep a track of what you eat else where?

Just been busy with finishing off my University exams, attending weddings and other event's I had planned months back. I usually track my food every day, yes.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I'll give you a free bump, my friend :)
  • AndrewXB9
    Options
    I'll give you a free bump, my friend :)

Thank you. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    maybe start afresh with your stats and goals....?

how much do you have to lose? what exercsie are you doing now?

you say you have been busy with exams and weddings and stuff, are you done now? if so its a great time to focus on your health and weight loss.

you should probably be aiming for 1lb of weight loss per week, and eat back exercise calories.

or workout your TDEE and -20%.

doing a mixture of cardio and strength trainign for exercise.
  • bob_day
    bob_day Posts: 87
    Options
    Do this and you *will* lose weight:

1) Eat mostly to get the nutrition your body needs, and less for enjoyment. Establish a healthful diet and find pleasure in other things.

2) Three meals a day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That's it. No snacks, and no "in between" meals.

3) Give up sugar. No sugar in coffee, soda, or on cereal. Give up fruit juice -- it's mainly just another form of sugar. Water is the only liquid you need.

4) In the beginning, establish a very regulated moderate calorie diet. Don't follow any sort of fad. Just pick a selection of foods that add up to a normal balanced diet -- whole grains, veggies, fruit, dairy, a little meat, etc. But start out by having exactly the same three meals each day -- the same foods and the same amounts. Weigh the portions on a scale. Consider frozen dinners. Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, Kashi, Smart Ones, and probably other brands have several that are low in calories and saturated fat, 25% daily value or less of sodium, and high in fiber.

5) Weigh yourself every day on a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale. Your weight should go down over every two or three days. If it doesn't, eliminate items from your diet or reduce the size of portions until your weight does go down. (If you don't have a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale, I'd recommend the EatSmart Precision Plus Digital Scale, which is sold on Amazon.) Don't obsess over the scale — let it be your friend and point the way to a weight losing diet.

6) When you have achieved a weight losing diet, then you can start making adjustments to add variety, but make sure that you keep losing weight.

7) Maintain your exercise program.
  • TheHabitsCoach
    Options
    It sounds like you need to make an honest and accurate record of your daily eating and drinking habits for at least two days and ideally for a week. Note down what you eat and drink, what each item is, how much and what time you consume it.
    Remember that timing can often be as big a problem as quantity.
    Then when you have your detailed sheets completed study them to identify your bad, negative habits. By nature habits are something that you do subconsciously so unless you record everything you may be telling yourself that you consumption is a lot less than it actually is.
    Then choose one habit that you can see needs to stop or be modified and work on that one thing for 30 days, without a break and then that habit change will be permanent.
    It does work. I know I have been there and done it
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

1) Eat mostly to get the nutrition your body needs, and less for enjoyment. Establish a healthful diet and find pleasure in other things.

2) Three meals a day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That's it. No snacks, and no "in between" meals.

3) Give up sugar. No sugar in coffee, soda, or on cereal. Give up fruit juice -- it's mainly just another form of sugar. Water is the only liquid you need.

4) In the beginning, establish a very regulated moderate calorie diet. Don't follow any sort of fad. Just pick a selection of foods that add up to a normal balanced diet -- whole grains, veggies, fruit, dairy, a little meat, etc. But start out by having exactly the same three meals each day -- the same foods and the same amounts. Weigh the portions on a scale. Consider frozen dinners. Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, Kashi, Smart Ones, and probably other brands have several that are low in calories and saturated fat, 25% daily value or less of sodium, and high in fiber.

5) Weigh yourself every day on a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale. Your weight should go down over every two or three days. If it doesn't, eliminate items from your diet or reduce the size of portions until your weight does go down. (If you don't have a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale, I'd recommend the EatSmart Precision Plus Digital Scale, which is sold on Amazon.) Don't obsess over the scale — let it be your friend and point the way to a weight losing diet.

6) When you have achieved a weight losing diet, then you can start making adjustments to add variety, but make sure that you keep losing weight.

Nope. Not this.
  • ClumsyArtist
    ClumsyArtist Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Nope. Not this.

This. This is way too extreme and not a good or sustainable way to lose weight.