The importance of water.

Options
Lately, I've been incredibly focused on what I eat and how much I exercise, etc. But I got an email from a co-worker today regarding water consumption, and it had some REALLY interesting tid-bits in it. I'm not 100% sure if the "facts" in the email have been substantiated, but I thought I would share it with everyone anyway. Perhaps I'll start focusing a bit more on hydration... maybe it'll even prove to be helpful with my late-night hunger cravings (ohh, that would be so nice) !

At any rate, here is the email below... enjoy:

1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.

2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is mistaken for hunger.

3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as much as 3%.

4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.

5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.

7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.

8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%., and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer. Are you drinking the amount of water you should drink every day?

Replies

• daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    YAY WATER
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I was just discussing water on another post - here is a great article that discusses some of the myths about water and explains why it's so important for you.

http://www.experiencelifemag.com/issues/june-2010/health-wellness/drink-to-your-health.html?ht=
  • SFinn
    SFinn Posts: 43
    Options
    I've noticed that if I eat basically the same thing and exercise the same for two days, I'll lose more on the day that I have increased water consumption. Definitely necessary!
  • Pete1977
    Pete1977 Posts: 14
    Options
    Great article accountant_boi! I like the "Hydration Tips" section at the bottom. While I read them, I distinctly remember thinking "well duh, of course"... but then I realized, I don't really do any of those things :) Not so "duh" afterall apparently :)
  • karen1003
    Options
    My doctor encouraged me to drink in ounces the eqivalent of half your body weight (ie: if you weigh 200 pounds, drink 100 ounces of water per day). Water is your body's way of flushing out the fat he says! Not sure if the science backs this up (I'm trusting him) - but it certainly has helped me over the past year on my weight loss journey! And I do notice the difference in how I feel when I haven't been getting all my water in.
    Drink up people! :)
  • shaylas78
    shaylas78 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Pete

Thank you for your insight. I just joined today and I am learning about the site and what it has to offer. I actually have a hard time drinking plain old water. I always seem to have to add flavor to it (ie crystal light and so fourth). I often find myself drinking plain water when I exercise. I promise myself to do betterand thanks to your post I'm going to get started today, although I have to say, I may still have a crystal light packet with my water from time to time.
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I appreciate the article-it's a good reminder. Plus there are many on here who don't buy the idea that beverages with tons of sugar and caffeine actually dehydrate you!! It's frustrating!
  • cakesmooth
    cakesmooth Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I had a great personal trainer who had me drink a glass of water before eating snacks or meals. It definitely made me cut back on the snacks and overeating during meal time and it helped me meet my water quota!
  • Kushiel32
    Options
    This was great. Thank you for posting that article accountant_boi I read it to my daughter (she has asthma and allergies) and she was amazed at how important water consumption is.
  • Rivalee
    Rivalee Posts: 22
    Options
    Timely, because I am feeling super snacky today, and going and having a big glass of water will probably help.

BTW, to those who dont like water as much plain, you will grow accustomed to it, i promise, and even come to crave it. At this point I drink a little OJ, the occasional plain latte, and a very rare fresca, the rest is water - once you get used to not having the other stuff, it just tastes fresher and better! Good luck!
  • beutiful5678
    beutiful5678 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later reading!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post - and also for the link to the article. I had NO IDEA how necessary proper hydration is.... although I thought I did!