what does a food alergy feel like?

Options
I don't mean to sound stupid, but I don't believe I have ever had a food allergy/intolerance issue. Lately though as soon as I eat breakfast (always Egg beeters and Turkey sausage I get this bloated, un-comfortable feeling and it last ALL day. I never feel like my stomach is not bloated until the next morning just when I wake up.

Its like I could stick a straw through my belly, and drain out all the air to deflate it. Now I have eaten egg beeters for years but can people develop food allergy's mid way through life?

45 yrs old F

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    You can develop allergies, and I've heard that you can lose them too. o:

You could try cutting one food out at a time to see which one is the trigger? I don't suffer from food allergies, but that seems like a possible way to figure it out.
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Yes you can develop allergies or intolerances at any time. What about the turkey sausage? Is it the same as always or a different brand? Cut one out for a couple days and then the other to see if you have any changes.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of different food allergies and the reactions to each are different. Yes you can develop them as an adult, I never had any allergies until I reached my late 20s now I'm allergic to just about everything it seems.

I would stay away from the egg beaters for a couple weeks, give your body a break from them. Then you can try to reintroduce them and see if you have the same reaction.
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My 3 year old is allergic to eggs and he gets hives/all itchy and tells me his tongue feels funny if he accidentally has any.
    You could have developed an allergy. Maybe the brand you use changed something up? Cut out one thing at a time for at least a week and see if it helps.
  • NatashaShen
    NatashaShen Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    In my 20s I developed an allergy to most fruits. My lips, mouth and throat all start to get itchy and my tongue feels like it begins to swell. It sounds like you might have more of an 'intolerance'.

I agree cut one of the foods out, see how your body responds. Then do it with the other food. Once you find the food thats making you feel this way, just stop eating it.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Might be an intolerance, or you might just need to update your gut flora.

Have you recently done a course of antibiotics?

With an actual allergy, there will be hives, itching, etc... Bloating not so much. What are you eating with your eggs other than sausage?

Advice to eliminate and see is good IMO.
  • rachiefofo
    rachiefofo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I had the same feeling, I would get bloated, cramps, and terrible stomach pains, along with rashes on my elbows

Anyway, I started to cut the gluten out of my diet. It DID help a lot with bloating, however I didn't think it was solving it all. I cut down the dairy (few to none) and I haven't had issues since!! (I was lactose intolerant as a baby but was able to have diary as I got older)

Try cutting out specific foods one a a time for a few weeks and see if it helps!
  • pcastagner
    Options
    I had the same feeling, I would get bloated, cramps, and terrible stomach pains, along with rashes on my elbows

Anyway, I started to cut the gluten out of my diet. It DID help a lot with bloating, however I didn't think it was solving it all. I cut down the dairy (few to none) and I haven't had issues since!! (I was lactose intolerant as a baby but was able to have diary as I got older)

Try cutting out specific foods one a a time for a few weeks and see if it helps!

rashes on elbow does sound like an allergy. Itchy armpits as well?

Another way to check for allergies is to take some cetirizine HCl twenty minutes before the food. If it reduces the symptoms, then it's an allergy.

Of course if I try that with fish I'm still going to wind up in the hospital.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Certainly you can develop allergies, from what I hear the more you come into contact with the allergen the more severe your reaction becomes. It's possible you had very minor problems with the food that is bothering you, your whole life and you are just now getting noticable symptoms.

For me I wasn't allergic to nuts my whole life and then suddenly near the end of High School I started getting very minor reactions to consuming any type of nut. Now I get a sore and swollen throat usually with some splotchy rash on my throat or on my hands if I have touched it.

Same with milk, had no problem as a kid, drank litres of it and now a cup of regular milk can make my abdomen bloat and get some intense pain or my lips and cheeks swell.

If you think you are developing an allergy it would be a good idea to speak with your doctor and get an allergy test done to ensure that you don't get any serious reactions in the future or that you are prepared for one on the odd chance you get a serious reaction from something.
  • DerekG79
    DerekG79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue and recently discovered I am lactose intollerant. Crazy considering I have ate dairy my entire life. Good the symptoms and see if they match up.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    Certainly you can develop allergies, from what I hear the more you come into contact with the allergen the more severe your reaction becomes.

Sometimes this is true, sometimes it's true for a while and then the allergy gets less intense, sometimes it just decreases over time. My fish allergy has been the same since I was a baby, no change.

But mosquito bites is a different story. I get bumps early in the season, they get worse for a few weeks, and by mod summer I barely get bumps at all despite being bitten repeatedly.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    My doctor is testing me for allergens right now - she is having me cut out certain foods for up to 2 weeks to see differences. I've been having a ton of digestive issues and she thinks it's obviously something I ate. She was able to test for Celiac's, which came back negative. Also was tested for Crohn's, which came back negative. Now we're pinpointing everything else and is taking me off one thing at a time for 2 weeks to see if my issues clear up.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind, there is a difference between an allergy and an intolerance. I have an allergy to peanuts. My throat closes and I go in anaphylactic shock if not treated in time. I have an intolerance to dairy - it makes me projectile vomit. I also have various other intolerances that I have not yet pinned down, but which rear their ugly heads when I'm overly stressed. Allergies and intolerances can definitely develop as you get older. They can also develop if you're eating something very often. I recently started having problems with gas and bloating - my naturopath suggested a high potency probiotic and giving up quinoa for a while (I was eating it every single day). She also has me off gluten, but I'm not sure if that's the culprit. However, I must say, after a week of this, I feel a million times better.

If you're bloated, it sounds like an intolerance, not an allergy - try an elimination diet.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    Also worth trying - Aspergilus niger (aka beano).

Sometimes you just need to team up with a fungus.
  • MsStang02
    MsStang02 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    You can definitely develop a food allergy. I have loved bananas all my life, and when I was 22-23 I started noticing that I was a bit puffy and had a rash up and down my arms, legs and stomach. Did not itch. When I ate a banana it kinda gave me this weird feeling. Someone said I might be allergic to them so I stopped eating them (I had 1 small to medium per day). Sure enough, everything cleared up within 3 days. Now if I eat a banana I get that feeling/rash. So I try to limit my intake to maybe 1 per week, every other week. And sometimes I don't care, I'll just eat one.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    My brother developed a food allergy to eggs when he was in his teens because he would eat them sooooo much. I went away awhile after he controlled it.
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options

With an actual allergy, there will be hives, itching, etc... Bloating not so much. What are you eating with your eggs other than sausage?

Actually an allergy CAN manifest with gastrointestinal symptoms - it's just not as common, especially with something like eggs. Most people do develop a rash.

It could also just be indigestion. Have you started eating a higher fiber diet lately? It may not be from breakfast, but could be from something you've been eating the day before (you may just be hearing the rumbling after breakfast, because that's when you start moving around and waking up your organs that were functioning much more slowly while you were asleep).

Either way. You can either try eliminating the eggs and see how that goes. Eat fibrous items more slowly and spaced out during the day, and drink A LOT of water. Fiber really only causes digestive problems if you don't have enough water in the GI tract to help it soften up and pass.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Is the turkey sausage new? Is it all turkey? Is it nitrate free? Do just egg beaters bother you. I would try eating one food at a time and see how that does. Also, it may just be a lot of protein giving you a full feeling. Do you drink a lot of water and get a lot of fiber. Maybe you just need a good poop.
  • RebeccaHite
    RebeccaHite Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Processed foods are bad...
  • pcastagner
    Options

Actually an allergy CAN manifest with gastrointestinal symptoms - it's just not as common, especially with something like eggs. Most people do develop a rash.

It could also just be indigestion. Have you started eating a higher fiber diet lately? It may not be from breakfast, but could be from something you've been eating the day before (you may just be hearing the rumbling after breakfast, because that's when you start moving around and waking up your organs that were functioning much more slowly while you were asleep).

Either way. You can either try eliminating the eggs and see how that goes. Eat fibrous items more slowly and spaced out during the day, and drink A LOT of water. Fiber really only causes digestive problems if you don't have enough water in the GI tract to help it soften up and pass.

That would be an intolerance, and most likely not an allergy.