Exercises for desk jobs?

Options
I work in an office and am sitting most of the day :( What are some exercises I can do throughout the day? (that aren't obvious and make me look silly!) Now that it's been warm outside, at lunch I have been walking around the building at a fast pace for about 15-20 minutes. That's about as much as I do here...

Replies

• aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    No one ever knows if you're doing keggles!
  • shannonb8489
    Options
    lol true statement
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    In my experience most desk exercises offer little to no benefit, and make you look like a tool in the meantime.

Best thing you can do during the day is find excuses to get up from your desk and walk. Climb the stairs instead of taking the elevator, etc....

Then carve out some time in your day for proper cardiovascular and strength training. 30 minutes a day is all it takes. Almost everyone spends more time than that doing non-essential tasks, so it shouldn't be too hard to prioritize exercise.
  • Hoosier96
    Hoosier96 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    other than find excuses to get up and walk, you can do seated calf raises, and always work on sucking in your abs.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I often wonder if there's anything I can do at my desk too!

I drink a lot of water, which means a lot of trips to the bathroom! I've always considered, but never actually done it... Walking up the stairs at lunch to the top floor and down again.

Also, foot tapping. Once you start, you'll find it hard to stop and there is some evidence online to suggest, albeit a tiny amount, that foot tappers burn more calories.

Take a walk at lunch if you can - I purposely walk for ten minutes at lunch to go to the shop, but I could easily use the full hour if I wanted.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I look at my desk time as rest time. Exercise before or after work, not during.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    This one I just recently found but have not really checked out. http://www.deskfitness.com/

I work from home and this one I have been using for years. http://www.breakpal.com/
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Leg extensions. Pistol squats. Power Kegels.
  • MrsVega919
    Options
    I too work in an office and have a very sedentary job. I have made it a point to get a workout in before work, which helps to kick start my metabolism for the day. I also have made a habit of the stairs rather than the elevator as much as I can, I park a little farther, and try to get up from my desk at least once an hour through out the day. All of these together have helped me along the way. I also have a go to "coffee break" workout that I do occasionally: 30 seconds invisible hula hoops, 10 air squats, 15 standing calf raises, 20 standing crunches, 10 squats, 20 standing side crunches, 10 cross crunches, 10 plie squats, 20 hip twists, and 10 good mornings (bending forward at hip, keeping knees locked straight). It is quick and easy to do right at your desk; make it fun and have your co-workers join you.
  • dortilolma
    dortilolma Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Any chance you could walk or cycle in to work?

I work pretty far from home but I still try and cycle in at least one day a week. Other than that I just try and get out walking at lunch and running at the weekend?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,611 Member
    Options
    There are under the desk pedal machines.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • shannonb8489
    Options

I work pretty far from home but I still try and cycle in at least one day a week. Other than that I just try and get out walking at lunch and running at the weekend?

Too far or I would
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I do squats when I go to the bathroom. Usually about 15-20.
  • Caitu13
    Caitu13 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Just getting up every hour or so is good! I work at a desk all day too so I know. I get up every hour or so, walk and get water, walk around the office checking and see whats going on. I walk messages to co-workers if its not an emergency instead of calling. Little things like that add up at the end of the day. Plus, I use my elliptical at night.
  • Mel2626
    Mel2626 Posts: 342 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Would one of these be worth having? I've though about getting one to keep my legs moving but just not sure it'll really do anything for me.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    BallChairDeluxe-lg.jpg
  • stepholson7407
    Options
    Since I drink a ton of water at work, I'm running to the bathroom frequently. While I'm in the bathroom, I do squats or leg lifts while washing my hands. (We have a good sized one person ladies room.)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,611 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Would one of these be worth having? I've though about getting one to keep my legs moving but just not sure it'll really do anything for me.
    Physical activity of any type is much more beneficial then being sedentary all day.

IDEA Fitness member
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

Too far or I would

Park down the road if you can, or in the far corner of the parking lot at least.

Now my daughter is off school and back in daycare, I park down the road from daycare and we walk the last 15 minutes. It's good for her, and for me. Unfortunately we live a bit far to walk the whole way.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I do squats when I go to the bathroom. Usually about 15-20.

Wow really? I only do one.