Day 5! (Quitting Smoking)

Options
Ok...so I've gained about a pound...grrr and I would love to sit out on the deck and smoke a butt, BUT I'm not gonna!!! lol I find that when I think about it, I almost want to just cave in. Then I force it out of my mind (sometimes by snacking..ick) and then I'm all better! lol Thanks everyone for your support! :love:

Replies

• laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Ok...so I've gained about a pound...grrr and I would love to sit out on the deck and smoke a butt, BUT I'm not gonna!!! lol I find that when I think about it, I almost want to just cave in. Then I force it out of my mind (sometimes by snacking..ick) and then I'm all better! lol Thanks everyone for your support! :love:
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Whoohoo!! Good for you, I always found when I was having a craving I'd go for a nice long walk! It always helped. and took the craving away everytime!
  • vegasmellie
    vegasmellie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    good job! quitting smoking is hard, but it can be done! funny, all the times I tried with the patch I just couldn't do it, then I stopped cold turkey and it worked! not saying that I don't still crave, but it's more about the activity. to me, smoking is just gross and dirty and gives you wrinkles. course I knew all that and was in denial. lol

good job!:drinker:
  • ToTheLove
    ToTheLove Posts: 357
    Options
    WOO!!!! Good for yoU!! You can SO do this.

And just a bit of advice -

I did gain right away too. I actually tained 8 (count 'em, 8) pounds.

BUT I'm already down half that after a week of really being on track.

It's a small set back but one that's TOTALLY worth it. My workouts this last week have been absolutely AMAZING. I've been able to work harder and push myself further than ever before because I can actually breathe. And that's after only 2 weeks of being smoke free!

So as some one who's right where you are two weeks ago, trust me. Even if you gain just keep on hanging on because it's completely worth it.

Good luck girl!
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! WTG on your successes with quitting smoking :) I really appreciate the support system I get on MFP with all of my "bettering myself stuff" lol I am doing it cold turkey this time, I have used the patch several times and it was more of a constant reminder that I wanted a cigarette to me. Anyways, wish me luck..lol one day at a time :)
  • lisatownsend
    Options
    :smile: :smile: :smile: :happy: :happy: :happy: well congrats girls who just stopped smoking ! believe me i no what your going through and still kinda am ! it gets easer ! stick with it! suck on cinnomon candy (Fat FREE ) when you have a craving it helped me ! good luck everyone:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :drinker: :drinker:
  • cryssyzip
    cryssyzip Posts: 1
    Options
    Hang in there ya'll. It really is possible & eventually the cravings really do go away & ciggys start to taste awful. I've been quit for a year & a half, & I have to say, you are going to be so proud of yourself if you stick it out & finally quit. I'm still around smokers all the time (including the husband) and honestly it does stop being so hard. It really does. I am rooting for you all!

Cryssy
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Good work! You're starting to come out of the physical effects of the withdrawl now. The first week was really the hardest... I'm on week #5 YAY!

Don't even think about 'em really anymore. I don't like the smell of them either. If I do get a twinge for one, which is rare now, I just keep thinking of all the hard work I've done in the past weeks to purge those toxins from my body and I don't want to load back up on them.

You can do it!!! :drinker:
  • lantana171
    lantana171 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    good for you! and you can do it - it's about the hardest thing you will ever do but you can get there.

and if you gain a few pounds - you can lose those again. you're far healthier to carry a few extra pounds for a little bit in order to get over the cigarettes - then work on the weight again.

when you want to smoke - go exercise for 10 minutes and talk yourself out of the craving. burns a few calories and helps you get through the immediate craving :)