How much do macros REALLY matter?

Options

Replies

• ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I am less concerned about my calorie intake. I track my sodium and potassium mostly. Everyone is different on what their goals are. My number 1 goal is to control my BP without medication. Once I learn how to eat properly then I will be more concerned about my calories, fat, carbs etc.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    For me, it's important. I've set my macros so that I can be sure I get enough fiber, protein and keep my sodium under control. Those are the main macros I pay the most attention to. I feel that it's not just the calorie count, but the nutritional value of those calories. Not everyone feels the same way, but I don't think the default values on MFP are enough protein. Everyone is different, but I think I've found the sweet spot for me... I feel better than I have in years and am steadily losing weight and gaining strength/endurance.

Fiber and sodium are not macros... There are 3 macronutrients, carbohydrates, fats , and proteins. A macronutrient is a nutrient that provides calories. Salt is a mineral micronutrient and fiber is the non-digestible part of a plant.
  • gabijadc
    gabijadc Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I eat 25% carbs, 20% protein and 55% fat.
    I will go up to 30% protein and lower my carbs soon, but I want to do that more gradually. :)
    IMO macros are important - if you eat 100% carbs you will gain weight even on an calorie deficit. I wish I could link the research but it's lost in my browsing history.

This is an example of a guy eating almost 6000kcal every day for 21days with high fat low carb diet and losing inches: http://live.smashthefat.com/category/food/5000-calorie-challenge/
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options

what is toning?

That would be GirlSpeak for Cutting I believe.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    There is going to be a lot of disagreement of what your macros should even look like, as in what % of each is "ideal." To me, that says that it's less important than a lot of people make it out to be. (True, you want to get enough protein, not too much carbs … but what exactly is "enough" or "too much"? I have yet to see agreement in the professional world, let alone here).

Weight loss comes down to thermodynamics - calories in vs calories out. Nutrition is important for overall health, we need vitamins and minerals, and fiber, protein, etc. But eating 40% protein vs 50% (or 30%) isn't necessarily going to stall you out.

Just my opinion :wink:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    They are important but I'd make the following claims:

-In internet arguments about macronutrients it will usually dive straight into stupidity where people discuss diets of singular macronutrients (which are fictional diets) and then take those statements to infer things about mixed diets that are false. (Example: if you eat 100% protein you cannot gain fat and therefore in a mixed diet, excess protein will not make you fat)

-In real world applications you're usually not talking about massive swings in macronutrients. Making a change of, say 30g cho for 30g protein may have a small but noticeable effect on various things whereas shifting 150g would make a larger difference. In most actual scenarios I wouldn't believe you're making massive changes to macronutrient intake.

That being said, I still believe monitoring macro intake is important for a variety of reasons.

-
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    While I have a macro goal set for each, I really only care about protein. Once I've hit my protein target 120-160g daily (the minimum anyway) I let the rest of the calories land where they will. Some days are higher carb; some days are higher fat. Depends on the day, but always that protein target is my first and only goal aside from my calorie target.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    There are many advantages to utilizing certain macros over others.

You have a physiological requirement for fat. That is a given. Protein has cellular repair functions. carbohydrates provide energy but it isn't as important as protein and fat is.

not all macronutrients are the calories they claimed to be.
    protein foods have a higher satiation than most foods. the TEF is also 20-30%. lets say 25%. that means protein costs 1 calorie just to be metabolized. After protein becomes excess it is metabolized into glucose. which loses another 33% of the calories so it becomes 2. this is speaking based off of average. Not all protein is the same. animal protein is better for muscle repair and retention vs plant protein. Its the amino acid composition is what matters the most.

carbohydrates have a lower tef each g of carbs also hold 3g of water. so you can imagine why the illusion of fat loss works with atkins. Carbohydrates have also been associated with the increase of leptin in the system. This really only matters for leaner individuals. Carbs should be titrated to the type of activities/lifestyle you have. low carbs are also associated with poor performance

fat has 5-6% and fat is important for cellular function. fat is also the hormone and mood macro. if you go too low you can also get irritable/anxiety/ hormonal problems, etc

there is a lot more to this, I am just covering whatever is on the top of my mind
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    yes, you should pay attention to them...

It is pretty tough to hit them exactly each day, so I try to make that I am in my percentages for the week ...

what is toning?

You know! Quit being silly.
    Muscle tone is the state of muscle tension inside a muscle or muscle group when it is at rest. residual muscle tension or tonus ?
  • skimpyskimp
    Options
    some say the body doesn't care about percentages but I personally think macros are very important and for fat loss go for high protein, moderate good fat and low carb.

To use an exaggerated example , if person A ate 100% protein over a month and another person B ate 100% carbs or 100% fat, both on the same daily calories at a deficit, person A would lose more fat.

I would have assumed that high protein diets would be provide to most effective fat loss results, however, interestingly I found research to state otherwise - check it out for yourself

"Next, Kekwick and Pawan [the researchers in a 1956 study] put obese subjects on one of four different diets. The diets all had the same calorie count—1,000 calories per day—but the composition of those calories varied: 1,000 calories of a mixed or balanced diet, 1,000 calories with 90% from carbohydrate, 1,000 calories with 90% from protein, or 1,000 calories with 90% from fat. If it were true that a calorie is a calorie is a calorie, then patients should have lost roughly the same amount of weight on all four diets. Did they? No. Indeed, on the high-carbohydrate diet the patients actually gained a little weight, overall—on just 1,000 calories per day. They lost some weight on 1,000 calories per day of a balanced diet, and even more on 1,000 calories per day with 90% from protein. But overwhelmingly, patients lost the most weight on 1,000 calories per day when 90% of those calories came from fat. Kekwick and Pawan concluded, So different were the rates of weight-loss on these isocaloric diets that the composition of the diet appeared to outweigh in importance the intake of calories."

Read more at... http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2013/03/21/book-review-fat-fast-cookbook/

Really surprised me to hear, what do you make of it?
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    some say the body doesn't care about percentages but I personally think macros are very important and for fat loss go for high protein, moderate good fat and low carb.

To use an exaggerated example , if person A ate 100% protein over a month and another person B ate 100% carbs or 100% fat, both on the same daily calories at a deficit, person A would lose more fat.

I would have assumed that high protein diets would be provide to most effective fat loss results, however, interestingly I found research to state otherwise - check it out for yourself

"Next, Kekwick and Pawan [the researchers in a 1956 study] put obese subjects on one of four different diets. The diets all had the same calorie count—1,000 calories per day—but the composition of those calories varied: 1,000 calories of a mixed or balanced diet, 1,000 calories with 90% from carbohydrate, 1,000 calories with 90% from protein, or 1,000 calories with 90% from fat. If it were true that a calorie is a calorie is a calorie, then patients should have lost roughly the same amount of weight on all four diets. Did they? No. Indeed, on the high-carbohydrate diet the patients actually gained a little weight, overall—on just 1,000 calories per day. They lost some weight on 1,000 calories per day of a balanced diet, and even more on 1,000 calories per day with 90% from protein. But overwhelmingly, patients lost the most weight on 1,000 calories per day when 90% of those calories came from fat. Kekwick and Pawan concluded, So different were the rates of weight-loss on these isocaloric diets that the composition of the diet appeared to outweigh in importance the intake of calories."

Read more at... http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2013/03/21/book-review-fat-fast-cookbook/

Carbohydrates are associated with glycogen retention. average person can hold about 500g of carbs in their system. that's 3g for every carbs so lets just say its 4.5 lbs.

There are many weaknesses to this study that I can read from this summary alone

Weight loss =/= fat loss.

they could have lost muscle,
    lost water retention
    Only properly way to do it is a dexa scan to measure
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Fathead? 90% fat? Okayyyyy...
  • jennagoogles13
    Options
    So basically what I'm hearing is that there really isn't a proven "ideal" ratio for macro nutrients. Also, as long as I'm getting enough protein and fats, and making sure I'm not going overboard on the carbs, my macros shouldn't effect my weight loss. I'm planning on sticking to the percentages I feel comfortable with, and just listening to my body:) Thanks for the responses everyone!!
  • skimpyskimp
    Options

Carbohydrates are associated with glycogen retention. average person can hold about 500g of carbs in their system. that's 3g for every carbs so lets just say its 4.5 lbs.

There are many weaknesses to this study that I can read from this summary alone

Weight loss =/= fat loss.

they could have lost muscle,
    lost water retention
    Only properly way to do it is a dexa scan to measure

Ya I just thought it was an interesting read, I can understand your point of view, apparently the atkins fat fast diet with <90% fat ratios was devised in order to be most effective for those with metabolic resistant disorders such as thyroid dysfunction and to only be used for a period of 5 days.

Personally, I believe that moderate-to-high fat, moderate protein and low carb is the best way to go. The only problem with having too much protein is that if there isn't sufficient fat, the body can apparently convert up to half of the protein into glucose.
  • skimpyskimp
    Options

May I ask what or who fathead is in reference to there?
  • gabijadc
    gabijadc Posts: 90 Member
    Options

May I ask what or who fathead is in reference to there?

Perhaps that person meant this movie: http://www.fathead-movie.com/
    :)
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with what everyone else seems to be saying, to an extent - unless you have a specific goal involving a macro, it won't matter a lot in terms of weight loss.

I do think that keeping an eye on them can be helpful, though - even if you don't have diabetes NOW, if you're constantly eating 70% of your daily intake in carbs, you may be setting yourself up for Type II in the future. Same goes for fats - even if you have no concerns about your heart health right now, if you're always eating very fattening animal products, you may have problems with heart disease later.

I also don't agree with the goals that are automatically set by MFP - I think 55% carbs is a bit too high. I do however, almost always go over my sugar allowance for the day even when I keep total carbs low. I tried a week where the only sugar I got was from fruit, and I still went over the MFP sugar goal for the day.

Honestly, I'd rather eat the fruit. It's still loaded with other good stuff.
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Now that I've been logging for 6 weeks I'm finally cracking down on Macros. It's hard. I could live on rice and beans and this hurts my carb percentage. Grrr.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    what is toning?
    Basically just tightening up any softness and getting more muscle definition!

How does one tone a muscle? Do you mean hypertrophy?