"you're not just buying the fruit...

Options
_noob_
_noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
...you're buying the farmer who cared for it and nurtured it" (on a radio add)

Does this kind of sentimental crap (for ads) bug anyone else? I seriously just laugh at this stuff.

Replies

• JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    Just like when you tuck a buck, you are buying her child's education or her college educcation. Doesn't that make you want to buy more melons either way?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I find it amusing as well. As if I really care about the farmer, who I dont even know.
  • danamariers
    danamariers Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I care for that farmer about as much as they truly care about me... so not really (unless it's the farmer's market and it's my sister's produce at her stand. Then I care)
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    If I were to then hook up with said farmer... does that mean that I paid for it?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Buying the farmer? I'm pretty sure that's illegal.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    So, when I buy a banana, I'm actually buying an Ecuadorian farmer for 59 cents a pound?

What the heck am I going to do with an Ecuadorian farmer?
    Who's going to grow the bananas if that guy moves to Arizona?
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    That's how they suck you in. "It's for the children". And people will give their money, vote for crazy things with that motto, and if you are not for it, your a fascist, racist, sexist, and all around bad person. So now they are expanding. Lol
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Oh is this like "I'm paying your salary" **** people say to people in customer service?
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    and when you have sex with a fruit, you are having sex with everyone the fruit's farmer had sex with...

or something like that
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    i support fair wages, local business, sustainability in general and sustainable agriculture (non-livestock espesh) so YEAH this crap DOES work on me. plus i fking LOVE FRUIT. you had me at 'buying the fruit', honestly...
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I already thank him every time I eat. What more can he ask for?

thanks-jesus-for-this-food.jpg
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Every time you pay sales tax your supporting the governor to live in his mansion. awe dont you feel better now?
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    i support fair wages, local business, sustainability in general and sustainable agriculture (non-livestock espesh) so YEAH this crap DOES work on me. plus i fking LOVE FRUIT. you had me at 'buying the fruit', honestly...

Toyota called... your Prius is ready to be picked up.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Does the same concept apply when we buy their milk? Basically we're paying them to feel up a cow teet... I guess bestiality is a bought and paid for profession now?

Hmmm, I'm craving sausage...
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Emotional blackmail, nice.
  • pnut456
    pnut456 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

Toyota called... your Prius is ready to be picked up.

:laugh: :laugh:
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options

I support sustainable agriculture as well. This does not in and of itself make science an enemy in my eyes.

I also grew up in a farming community (soybeans, cotton, corn, and milo mainly) where i saw a bunch of individual, independently owned farms and farmers that most would here would call the "enemy".

When most here talk of "big agriculture" or big "corporations" and farming in a disdaining tone, I think of the the faces of the fathers of kids I grew up with and went to school with.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I say we charge all the wheat farmers with attempted murder.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    ...you're buying the farmer who cared for it and nurtured it" (on a radio add)

Does this kind of sentimental crap (for ads) bug anyone else? I seriously just laugh at this stuff.

Well, that is creepy. It sounds a whole lot like human trafficking. And all I wanted was a banana.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    You're not just buying the fruit but the farmer who cared for it and everyone that farmer ever slept with.