Time to get it done...need help !!

Options
My name is Todd. I am almost 40 and as of a week ago I was pushing 498 pounds. I am a big guy..about 6'5", but this is the heaviest I have ever been and after many failed attemmpts, now more than ever I feel the necessity to take care of this once and for all. I dont really know whay I have struggled so much over the past 10 years or so with weight loss. I quit smoking 6 years ago and it was the best thing I have ever done. It took several times but I found what worked and have never looked back. As with the smoking, I have tried several different times and techniques to get control of my weight..my problem is that I go in with a full head of steam and really work it for a few weeks and then I just lose it..not sure if its lack of strength (will) or just old habits die very hard ?!?!?

This time around I really want to try and focus more on what I am doing and why I want to achieve my goal of ultimately losing about 200 pounds...I know to take this in small steps and that I defifntely need to change my eating habits...soda and snacker junkie...I love fruit and veggies but I typically chose to grab a bag of chips or candy and Mt. Dew...I swear that stuff is as addicting as cigarettes...lol

I just wnat to reach out to people out there who are on their way or have done this type of weight loss and just get some ideas and inspiration to make this finally work for me. I want to do this and need to do this..I want to do this for me, but I also need to do this..not only for me but my family. I want to be around when my 3 year old daughter graduates from high school. Even now I want to be able to take her out and play and have fun without having to worry about my weight affecting my activity levels with my family. I used to love hiking and camping and swimming and just having fun and most of it, I cant do much of anymore because of my weight !!

So..any ideas,words of wisdom and hope will be greatly appreciated. I like this idea of being able to talk with others out there...not just the confinements of my family or friends, etc...goood to get a strangers opinion ..lol

Replies

• prettynotpretty
    Options
    I've struggled with my weight my whole life. Big time. Not 20 or 30 pounds, we're talking well over a hundred pounds to lose. The problem is that for people such as you and I who are addicted to food, we can't just give it up. We have to eat to live--where as with something such as smoking, it is possible to live without it. That's not to say that it isn't hard to quit or that it it's no comendable that you have stopped doing it (it is! congrats!), but we have to learn how to eat right and not to eat just because we like how it tastes. It's HARD. It's alot easier said than done.
    I know what it's like to shove my face and eat so much I can barely breathe. I know what it's like to eat for every emotion possible--stress, happiness, sadness, being mad, etc. etc. It's a battle, but you can conquer it.
    Here--there is support and people who understand. I know for me, i've spent my life surrounded by people who don't understand. It can be very lonely. So with the support you get from people who know what you're going through on this website, you can build yourself a great group of people to whom you can receive support from and in turn give it back. I hope you find success here and in your journey. Believe in yourself--because this is very, very possible. If you want it bad enough, you will do it. Feel free to add me. =)
  • dbustamante76
    Options
    Take it 1 day at a time and remember starting is the hardest part once you get in a routine just sticking to it becomes a habit. Right now you have bad habits we all do/did when we first start its correcting those habits that are going to be life savers. remember don't let a small bag of chips throw you off your game plan because 1 bag of chips didn't get you where you are today it was LOTS of bags of chips. If you feel like you need it after 2-3 weeks of eating good and healthy then get you a small bag and keep on trucking. People think you have to give them up completely to lose weight and if they have a "cheat" meal/snack all their hard work is going to go down the drain well their wrong. Yea it slows down the process of you getting to your ultimate goal but getting to goal is the ultimate goal reason you started in the first place. giving up is the ultimate failure. weight loss isn't about short term diets or crash diets it's about lifestyle changes. No one goes their whole life without eating chips or eating cake or drinking soda it's when you make them routines that it becomes a problem. If you eat them sometimes like at a party of special occasion or during a ball game its ok because your maintaining your healthy lifestyle. We all know what its like to start and we know what its like to fail just keep your head up and never give up and you'll see the finish line sooner then you think. Good luck on your weight loss journey we're all here for you.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Welcome Todd!!!!!!

Great intro and great reason to become healthy! One step at a time! Yes, its about creating new habits. Its GREAT you like fruits and veggies. Start with looking at your eating habits and Choose when you may still have those chips and when you will replace it with a fruit or a veggie. Then do this for a bit, and then you'll be more willing to get rid of those chips with lunch too, or whatever. It doesnt' have to be all or nothing this moment, unless that is what works best for you.

Get rid of that Dew! My GOSH its addicting. I Still battle pop 'addiction' but its not the same as Mt. Dew. It took thinking a health problem was coming from my Dew to dump it (and it wasn't the problem) now I can't stand the taste of it. I swear its a Specific addition though, no other pop will 'Do" (or Dew ha ha) Take that one slowly because that headache is awful) Work on cutting it out in a week or two. You'll be amazed how much better you feel just making that change.

Congrats on quitting smoking too! You Did that, you can do this!
    You don't only want to see your daughter graduate, you want to see her walk down that aisle and you want to see your Grandbabies!!!!!

Add me as a friend if you'd like, I'd love to help motivate you if you'd like.

Nancy
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Welcome, sir!

I feel like you've taken an important first step on the road to fitness. Recognizing a problem and beginning to make constructive decisions re: the problem (e.g., logging on the MFP and seeking direction) are some important must-dos. Now you just gotta keep steppin' :)

Here's my nutshell story: Started approx 400 lbs. Stopped soda. Reduced portion sizes (one plate at meals instead of multiple plates), less TV (I didn't even start working out at that point...I just worked on watching less TV...it was a biggie for me but it helped in a number of ways), finally joined MFP, started tracking calories, added light cardio, added circuit training, started running, staying consistent and accountable with calorie count.

I'm down about 150 lbs and have got 30-40 lbs more to go before I will start to feel comfortable. At that point, I may re-evaluate my plan and make appropriate adjustments.

No gimmicks...just consistency. Here's an analogy. When I recently began running again (it'd been years), I wasn't very good at moderating my speed and would quickly tire myself out. Then I remembered what old coaches and my military family had told me about the "shuffle run". Essentially, it was a "shuffle" that wasn't very speedy...but it did get one's heart rate up and allowed the runner to maintain that speed for a longer amount of time than would be possible if the running was sprinting. Anyway, that approach, just as it seems to work for my running, also is applicable to my MFP approach, i.e., I pick a "speed" I know I can maintain for a long time, and then I just do it.

Anyway, glad you're here--IMO, it's the right choice. Add if you'd like and we'll get this done together. :)
  • rlizbeth
    rlizbeth Posts: 5
    Options
    hi, we are all in the same situation for whatever reasons. I only joined yesterday and have found everyone on here to be a great motivation. Only today I was being lazey and putting off working out, then I read what everyone else has been up to and it inspired me to do an hours cardio. Remember this, it is quicker to lose the weight than to put it on. Let's all do it together and we will be seeing results in no time! I am also needing friends and support so feel free to add me.
  • StephRenae_32
    Options
    Hi, we are all in this fight together! Take it one day at a time. I just joined today. I have struggled with my weight all of my life. It is more mental than it is physical sometimes, once you mentally prepare yourself, then the physical will follow. Don’t beat yourself up if you make a mistake, it took years to get to this place, and it may take some time to reach your goal, but you took the most amazing step, which was to “do something about it!”. I hope these posts are an encouragement to you…you can do it! We all can!
  • Cindy679
    Cindy679 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on wanting to change!!
    I've lifted weights and exercised consistently for 17 years. You just decide that this is going to be part of your life and you fit it in. I have found that I've actually become addicted to exercise. It's a habit and just something that I do.

When I'm dieting, I have one rule that has always helped me stay on the plan. One day a week, I eat whatever I want - you may want to make it only one meal that you eat whatever you want. But that has always helped me stay away from the bad foods. Sunday is my day and I eat what I want that day. I am always amazed about how crappy I feel on Monday after my free for all. (Some people would take that as a hint to not pig out, but I've never learned that!)

Maybe some here will think that this is bad advice, but it has always worked for me. If I want to eat something I shouldn't during the week, I'll make myself wait until Sunday. Knowing that I gave myself permission to eat the food at a later date, keeps me on track at that moment.

Like I said, you may only wish to do this with one meal a week, or you may not take my advice at all - it's up to you and GOOD LUCK!!
  • JessicaZen
    JessicaZen Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hey there welcome to MFP. you are headin g in the right direction by joining and making yourself accountable. I too quit smoking about 4 years ago when I became pregnant and also started my weight loss journey cuz I got acid reflux. I am 42 yrs old and decided that I needed to do something to keep up with my little girl so I changed my eating habits fried foods were forced out cuz of gerd so that helped me too. One bit of advice I can give you is to keep yourself accountable but this is a journey so there will be highs and lows don't beat yourself up about the lows and give yourself props even on the lows the fact that you are doing it is a medal on your chest. Just keep your focus as to why you want to be healthier my little girl and now my grandson are my goals cuz now I can go down the slide with my little girl and play on the jungle gym without getting tired and let me tell you she goes from 7 am till she drops in bed at 8pm but Im sure Im not telling you anything that you don't know. you will find lots of support here and be able to support others feel free to add me if you would like and again welcome and good luck.
  • pinkly14fun2
    Options
    Welcome! Take it day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute...each time you forego that snack, drink water vs soda or make any small changes, consider it a victory. All those small victories will eventually add up to some noticeable changes. Reach out. Friends on here are motivating, its nice to get an "atta boy" when you have done something. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • butterflyluv1218
    Options
    Hi Todd, this site has amazing people and an awesome support system. I have yo yo'd for as long as I can remember. It really is mostly all mental. It's our own brains that weigh us down and tell us we can't do something, etc. Feel free to add me. I'm a great motivator! Good luck!
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Get started.

Don't hate yourself.

You will slip, you will fall, you will make mistakes.

Pick yourself up as many times as you need to.

One step in front of the next. Before you know it, you will be there.
  • Caitu13
    Caitu13 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've always been bigger than I should. I finally started to get healthy, down to a great weight then I became pregnant, which then followed with several health problems that now follow me around and makes it difficult to lose weight. But its those small steps that count. And regardless I'm teaching my son to eat healthy, be healthy and still be able to enjoy food. Any steps taken to get healthy, is a huge step!
  • tuckersmom72
    tuckersmom72 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi there, what has helped for me is to cut out cola's, drink lots of water and MOVE. Even if it is a little walk around your neighborhood, anything helps. I was amazed at how easy it has been to cut out caffeine after drinking 3 20oz. Pepsi's a day or more since my childhood. I just turned 40 last year and one day I said "that's enough". I have to do better for myself and my family. I have lost 45 lbs since the end of January. I started at 336. I started walking around my son's school track after dropping him off in the morning. Keeping my calories low between 1400-1600 calories. Just being more active. I've dropped 2 sizes in clothing and boy do I feel great. I wish you luck in your weight loss journey. Hope all goes well. Take care to everyone.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    You will slip, you will fall, you will make mistakes.

Pick yourself up as many times as you need to.

One step in front of the next. Before you know it, you will be there.

Amen. Two steps forward, and one step back...is still a net gain of one step forward! :) Good luck! :)
  • churchchipmunk
    churchchipmunk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi there and welcome MFP!!! One day at a time and then the next thing you know it...you are accomplishing your goals!

Feel free to add me as a friend!