Don't really care for PB, are other nut butters better?

Options
Phrick
Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
What nut butter would you suggest to try for someone who doesn't really care for peanut butter that much? I find it too sticky and mouth-drying. LOVE LOVE LOVE a good PBJ but that's because there's copious J to offset the drying PB, you know? Would love to replace it with something else - but would like opinions as to the best alternative instead of tossing cash out on four or five different "try it and see" options!

Replies

• emmamurphy82
    emmamurphy82 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I made my own hazelnut butter and it's delicious.

2 cups hazelnuts
    1 tbs coconut oil
    splash of sugar free maple syrup
    natvia or any sweetner you prefer
    cocoa powder or cacao powder

Wizz it all in a food processor. Mine took like 20 mins to form a paste. I added some water to get a consistency of PB. So much better than any other nut butter I've tasted!
  • emmamurphy82
    emmamurphy82 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    oh and some vanilla essence too
  • jakkisr
    jakkisr Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm using extra virgin coconut oil, Lucy Bee's is creamy and like a butter and I can eat it as a spread.

I didn't like the Fushi/Kathryns extra virgin coconut oil as a spread though, its good for cooking but not as creamy as the Lucy Bees.

We don't really 'do' a lot of nut butters in England, they're something of a gourmet item and not stocked in every supermarket.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I find almond butter to be not dry and pretty tasty. That said, I rather like Emma's ideas about nut butter as well.

Also, nut butter.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    this thread is heresy ....

thats all I am gonna say...
  • SleeplessinBerlin
    SleeplessinBerlin Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    First time I tried peanut butter I ate it with bread and I hated it. It felt just the way you described it. I thought I hated it. Years later, I gave it another go. I tried it in my protein shake, on an apple, in a banana cut in half lengthwise. I fell in love. Maybe try it with something less dry than bread.

I also use almond butter a lot.
  • catolerico
    catolerico Posts: 25
    Options
    While I LOVE peanut butter I'm also a fan of Justin's almond butters. The chocolate one is delicious on a banana.

http://www.justins.com/
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Maybe try some of the ones that are typically higher in oil content? Walnut, macadamia, cashew?

I'm not the best to give advice. The only one I've found that I really don't like so far is brazil nut.
  • katedrown
    katedrown Posts: 2
    Options
    Ditto the almond butter. I like it on Ms. Beaird's sugar free whole wheat toast with a sliced banana on it. I am new to weight loss and am finding it hard to satisfy my hunger while staying within bounds and an almond butter banana sandwich is pretty satisfying!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to force nut butters if you don't particularly care for them? There are plenty of other ways to get your healthy fats.
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    fwiwi, I am not a big fan of peanut butter, either, but I do like almond butter and cashew butter. It's more about flavor for me, though.
  • u_mad_bro
    u_mad_bro Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    There's all kinds of nut butters. People usually try lots of them until they settle for one they like.
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    try them all. whole foods pretty much has every different kind you can think of except for Filbert and Pistachio. WHY NO PISTACHIO ??????? mad!!!
  • ksuetorres
    ksuetorres Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Bunch of sinners on here dissing Peanut Butter!!! Peanut butter is a food group, any other opinion is flat out dead WRONG. Sub-group is PB2.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    cashew butter is my favorite!!! Very sweet and not dry...but hard to find...
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    try them all.

^^This.

TRY ALL THE NUTZ
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the dryness of regular peanut butter, try getting organic PB...it's very creamy and awesome....or you can make a triple decker jelly sandwich...oh wait, I did that in elementary school (needed my sugar)...mmmm
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Almond butter is probably most popular next to peanut butter, but there are others. Cashew and hazelnut are easily found in my area, but all other nut butters cost significantly more than peanut butter.

Outside of allergies all nuts have heatlh benefits. Which, if any, is healthier than the others would depend on the rest of your diet.
  • TonysMiss
    TonysMiss Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Almond butter is a great one. I LOVE it with a peeled green apple. One of my favorite snacks for sure. My boyfriend will practically eat it out of the jar.
    I get the "raw" creamy unsalted from Trader Joes if you have one around you. If not, Fred Meyer has a grinder in their natural food section and that is my next go to if Trader Joes doesn't have any for some reason.
    =)
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    try them all.

^^This.

TRY ALL THE NUTZ

QFT.