Weight Gain? Really?

Options
Seriously...I've been doing pretty well over the past week. I've increased my exercise, and almost everything I've been eating is healthy. I cheated ONCE, and I definitely burned that off. The scale tells me I'm up three pounds.

...Damnit.

Replies

• EileenB42
    EileenB42 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad. I've been here 20 days, been doing my calories everyday, cheated on saturday, went for a walk yesterday was on program and I am up .4 sorta disheartening.
  • newgoals
    Options
    The same thing just happened to me....I'm just starting, but worked hard all week, and actually was down 2 pounds....and now back up to where I started! What gives? Very annoying.
  • luvmakeup4ever
    luvmakeup4ever Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    have you considered going to walmart and getting a tape measure? The scale is not as reliable as the inches you lose during weight loss. that could be your sodium intake so try taking a diuretic (over the counter kind) and see what that does for you. I like measuring my inches and taking water pills when i feel like maybe i ate too much salt or drank too much water. Its probably nothing. Dont give up:)
  • lcrichar
    Options
    Just remember if your working out really hard, more than usual you are going to gain more muscle and muscle weighs more than fat! That is why it is always good to take your measurements along with weight! I am sure you have just gained muscle and that is why your up!

Keep it up!! It is better to weigh more if it is muscle!!! :wink:
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. Weight can fluctuate due to anything....salt intake, water intake (or lack of), TOM, etc. Keep doing what you are supposed to do (you are making a lifestyle change) and your scale will eventually cooperate! :flowerforyou:
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Seriously...I've been doing pretty well over the past week. I've increased my exercise, and almost everything I've been eating is healthy. I cheated ONCE, and I definitely burned that off. The scale tells me I'm up three pounds.

...Damnit.

I don't see any mention of calories here.

You can exercise perfectly and eat healthily and still gain weight if you're in a caloric surplus.

On the flip side, I wouldn't sweat week to week fluctuations in weight. Keep in mind you're doing this for fat loss. The scale takes into account a whole heck of a lot more than fat - muscle, connective tissue, water, bowel matter, etc. Some of these factors can be rising while others falling. Thus, in theory, which actually plays out quite often in the real world... fat loss can be masked on the scale by other factors.

This is most often the case with relatively small females trying to get leaner.

Taking pictures once or twice per month and taking measurements once or twice per month is important if sanity is going to be maintained. Plus, the more metrics you have, the better you can objectively assess your progress and make modifications to your approach when necessary. And it will be necessary... as this is a process of tailoring your approach based on feedback over time.
  • Keisha79
    Keisha79 Posts: 63
    Options
    Congrats!! This makes feel motivated.
  • Raynedancer
    Raynedancer Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • katm427
    katm427 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! This makes feel motivated.

...I'm sorry...but how does this motivate you? :huh:
  • katm427
    katm427 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I'm just...concerned. I eat 1200 calories or less, and this shouldn't be happening. At least, not by my thinking.
  • stephie10
    Options
    I feel your pain. I got on the scale this morning and it didn't move at all! I stayed within my caloric limits for the week and burned way more calories than my goal.

But, I am trying to focus on the fact that what I am doing is healthy, even if the scale doesn't budge!
  • karot32
    karot32 Posts: 46
    Options
    How much water are you drinking? I would suggest drinking more :) Drinking more water actually helps you get rid of water weight, ironically enough :) Especially if your diet is higher in sodium ( I know I go over my sodium "goal" on MFP almost every day.... gotta get that down). Try to look at the bigger picture instead of week-by-week. And I would follow the advice above about getting a tape measure :) Good luck to you!
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I completely feel your pain. I am going through the same thing. I am just trying to focus on the fact that doing something is better than doing nothing... eventually it has to pay off.
  • mommaluvy
    Options
    Typically when I try to eat "right". Fruits and veggies. I gain weight. I had lost 5 lbs

On Saturday I started eating a yogurt and fruit smoothy ( home made so I could control what went in it )

Hovered around my cal Goal of 1400 with in 100 cals or so.. and had been losing weight. Slow but a loss.

Started using that smoothy as my breakfast and Boom . Never fails. Gained it all back in one weekend. I won't give up but it sure did not do anything for encouragement.

Funny thing was I felt better and had more energy.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I'm just...concerned. I eat 1200 calories or less, and this shouldn't be happening. At least, not by my thinking.

Are you using a food scale?

Exactly how much exercise and types are you doing?

How consistent are you with exercise and your calories?

How long have you been at this?
  • AshPolette717
    Options
    I kinda the same. The last week and a half I have been the same weight. Nothing has change, I almost want to throw my scale out the window. My workouts have been intence and I have been going longer and almost twice a day. It sucks. :(
  • shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    Options

Actually,that may not be a good thing.....go to the must read sections and learn about starvation mode......also if you are getting too much sodium don't just take a diuretic just consume less sodium...Key factors for health: variety, balance, and moderation. ( my husband teaches nutrition at a local college, and the numbers I give are from the most recent scientific studies) . Sodium should be no more than 2300mg for you, less for my age. Fiber should be between 21-24 g daily. Others have given you good guidelines for measuring your progress....Inches...strength...and energy level.....muscle vs fat.........Don't be discouraged...arm yourself with knowledge so you can make the best choices, and don't send yourself on a guilt trip when you think you've slipped up.....You will do fine, but learn all you can so you have all the tools you need.

Take care,
    Shari
  • leedavis88
    Options
    If you have done little exercise before your body will be building muscle to sustain your newfound lifestyle. The fat IS being burned but you will not feel the motivational effects of the scales going down until your body has built the muscle it feels is required to perform your chosen activity. Try and incorporate low resistance aerobic activities that around about 60-70% of your max heart rate. You could get a body fat measurer but these are very inaccurate and should really only be used to monitor your fat loss over time and not to be replied on for an absolute measurement.

Hope that helps...
  • pittmnjen
    Options
    Don't give up girl. Sometimes scales can be our enemies. Just keep doing what you're doing, and I'm sure you will be fine. :smile: