Letting go of all my old weight loss habits

Options
Okay so lately I've been realizing that I don't want to have myself on such a strict schedule of "weigh this much by this date" and "lose this much by this time".. I'm generally happy with the way that I look, (well, as happy as a woman can be lol) and I just want to focus on doing the things that I like to do and pushing myself.

I suffer from major depression and I have an obsessive personality. It's really easy for me to fall into the "gotta be perfect" mentality and hold myself to ridiculous standards. I've been learning to let go of my set routines and schedules and live a little (well, a lot).

I preach all the time about not letting weight loss efforts get in the way of leading a normal life because I truly believe it. Lots of fit, healthy people drink alcohol and eat fatty foods and stay fit. There has to be something else to life besides deprivation and punishment right?

So, I still count my calories during the week. On the weekend, I don't. I go to the gym and do what I want to, which is lift, and fit my cardio in other ways, like parking farther away or taking the dog for an extra long walk. I eat at a pretty small deficit and scale be damned. I just want to enjoy life. I want to be healthy. Most of all, I want to love myself.

Do you love yourself??

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Lots of fit, healthy people drink alcohol and eat fatty foods and stay fit.

Lots of meth addicts don't have facial lesions yet.
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options

Not sure how drinking socially or eating out have anything to do with meth. Thanks for your input.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Totally unrelated..
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Not sure how drinking socially or eating out have anything to do with meth. Thanks for your input.

You noted that some people do things without observed negative effects. That sort of anecdotal and information-impaired approach is dangerous, especially to people with weight-control issues.

Ignoring information is not a precondition to loving yourself. Not tracking on weekends is completely irrelevant to love.
  • Nancy_CM
    Nancy_CM Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am trying to do just that, as well. This is a lifestyle change for me, not something where making short term changes are going to be the solution. I don't want to stop drinking socially just to lose the weight, then find that I gain it all back when I think I'm done.
    Or stop eating carbs or having the occasional dessert... I love to eat out and spend time with my friends and family... I don't want to deny myself these things, I just want to make smarter choices based on logging and what's working and what isn't.

My plan is to be more aware, first and foremost! Eat smaller portions, have fewer drinks, do extra workouts to earn the caloric bank from which to draw on weekends, etc. From this I can create new and better habits, that will hopefully last my lifetime.