Overeating?anyone with the same problem?

Options
hey guys! i've been using MFP for 2months and a half now. i'm doing ok since i'm a student and don't have enough time.
my problem is lately i've been overeating too much. in the past two weeks i overate 4 times ( 2 times in a week).
I haven't lost much in the past month.i feel like my body has stopped in the same place!
I walk everyday and i do jillian michaels body revolution. i can't workout everyday since i have to study but i workout 3-4 times a week. but this overeating is killing me. i overeat at night! i do fine till 9 o'clock and then i get crazy hungry and can't control myself.
today for instance i had cereal for breakfast w half a banana and one square of dark chocolate. the rest of the day i had oat biscuits and fruits.had beans and rice for lunch w salad. i was hungry every 2 hours and i was ok till night and went crazy! i didn't have enough protein today that could be my problem.
I'm 5'5" and 129 pounds. my cal intake in MFP is 1320 since i don't do workouts everyday.
any suggestions for me?thanks
(the same thing happened to me on friday 3 days ago though i had chicken for lunch and my daily intake was high in protein)

Replies

• Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you are overeating? Do you have your BMR and TDEE figured out? You walk every day and work out 3-4 times a week which is moderately active, which means you aren't sedentary. I bet when you overeat you are eating what you are supposed to be eating to....betcha betcha. :)
  • tinamir92
    tinamir92 Posts: 22
    Options
    i don't know but i overate in the past few weeks and in huge amounts! my daily cal intake should be the same thing as my MFP daily cal. i eat like crazy and then feel terrible! and these usually happens during the usual dinner time and i can't control myself.:(
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Telling us how many calories you're eating would be helpful. So would opening up your diary.

ETA: I meant telling us how many calories you think overeating is.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Overeaters on a weight loss and fitness site? Probably not.

Good luck with your journey, though.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    hey guys! i've been using MFP for 2months and a half now. i'm doing ok since i'm a student and don't have enough time.
    my problem is lately i've been overeating too much. in the past two weeks i overate 4 times ( 2 times in a week).
    I haven't lost much in the past month.i feel like my body has stopped in the same place!
    I walk everyday and i do jillian michaels body revolution. i can't workout everyday since i have to study but i workout 3-4 times a week. but this overeating is killing me. i overeat at night! i do fine till 9 o'clock and then i get crazy hungry and can't control myself.
    today for instance i had cereal for breakfast w half a banana and one square of dark chocolate. the rest of the day i had oat biscuits and fruits.had beans and rice for lunch w salad. i was hungry every 2 hours and i was ok till night and went crazy! i didn't have enough protein today that could be my problem.
    I'm 5'5" and 129 pounds. my cal intake in MFP is 1320 since i don't do workouts everyday.
    (the same thing happened to me on friday 3 days ago though i had chicken for lunch and my daily intake was high in protein)

Protein could be part of it. So could fat. Then again, at 5'5" and 129 pounds 1320 isn't a lot of food. How much are you trying to lose and how fast?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Your diet sounds very carb-heavy. I find protein and fats (meat, butter, animal fat, etc) more filling in general than carbs like rice and beans. Lean meats and veggies are your friends.

On top of that....... you need to stop overeating.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Protein could be part of it. So could fat. Then again, at 5'5" and 129 pounds 1320 isn't a lot of food. How much are you trying to lose and how fast?

I'm 5'4" 125 lbs, and I eat 1700 to lose weight. It seems like maybe your body is telling you to eat more calories.

The first thing I'd do is tweak protein and fat. If that doesn't work and it continues to be an issue, try raising your calorie goal by a couple hundred calories and see how you do with that.
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options

Wow, seriously?? Of course, people having an overeating problem will NEVER seek help and try to get better....
    Yes, I have a binge/overeating problem and yes, I am on this site trying to get better, to be healthier and to lose weight the right way. Open your mind!
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to change your calories on here so your eating more!!!

Lots of protein, nuts, eggs, beans, fruit, veggies, water etc!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • tinamir92
    Options
    i will open my diary! thanks for ur help!
  • tinamir92
    Options
    i am not trying to lose weight fast! just a few more pounds and i'm done. i try to be 120 pounds. but my weight has stopped in the same place for a month now and i overate in the past few weeks. my diary is open now! thanks for ur help!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food? If you don't then you can't be sure you're over-eating.

However, if you eat fewer calories than you burn you should lose weight. Try doing a different form of exercise (the body gets comfortable very quickly) and as others have said, more protein less carbs (try to have complex carbs rather than simple, as well, so you feel full longer.).

Finally, are you drinking enough? Try having a BIG glass of water before eating as you may be thirsty - and even if you're not the water will fill you up a bit.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Double your protein goal but leave the fat goal where it is.

Eat more lean meats and less bread.
  • tinamir92
    Options
    i lack protein in my diary and that is my problem! but i can't fit proteins in my diaries i mainly eat chicken breast and once a week i have fish fillet. i have cheese every morning with bread. but i crave sugar a lot so my diary is full of sweet healthy things like cereal peanut butter fruits(lots of fruits!).
  • tinamir92
    Options
    thanks! i try to do that and is 1320 is enough for my weight according to BMR. still i have carbs more everyday and less protein. i love chicken i try to have it every other day i eat vegetables and fruits a lot and don't consume fat a lot. just don't know how to have more proteins.maybe is should look for variety of food with protein.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    i lack protein in my diary and that is my problem! but i can't fit proteins in my diaries i mainly eat chicken breast and once a week i have fish fillet. i have cheese every morning with bread. but i crave sugar a lot so my diary is full of sweet healthy things like cereal peanut butter fruits(lots of fruits!).

No idea what you mean by not fitting protein into your diary.

Go to "My Home' and click Goals. Click Change Goals. Select Custom and hit Continue. Set Carbs to 40%, Protein to 30% and Fat to 30%.

Now eat more meat and less bread. Protein and fat should be treated as minimums.
  • tinamir92
    Options

I'm 5'4" 125 lbs, and I eat 1700 to lose weight. It seems like maybe your body is telling you to eat more calories.

The first thing I'd do is tweak protein and fat. If that doesn't work and it continues to be an issue, try raising your calorie goal by a couple hundred calories and see how you do with that.

thanks! i lack protein in my daily intake and that is my main problem. since i don't workout everyday i need to lower my calories than what i burn actually.
  • tinamir92
    Options
    Telling us how many calories you're eating would be helpful. So would opening up your diary.

ETA: I meant telling us how many calories you think overeating is.

diary is open now! thanks for ur help!
  • stacetherainbow
    Options

Wow, seriously?? Of course, people having an overeating problem will NEVER seek help and try to get better....
    Yes, I have a binge/overeating problem and yes, I am on this site trying to get better, to be healthier and to lose weight the right way. Open your mind!
    Sarcasm should have it's own font
  • tinamir92
    Options
    Are you weighing your food? If you don't then you can't be sure you're over-eating.

However, if you eat fewer calories than you burn you should lose weight. Try doing a different form of exercise (the body gets comfortable very quickly) and as others have said, more protein less carbs (try to have complex carbs rather than simple, as well, so you feel full longer.).

Finally, are you drinking enough? Try having a BIG glass of water before eating as you may be thirsty - and even if you're not the water will fill you up a bit.

sometimes i measure what i eat. i crave sugar and eat carbs a lot. i drink water a lot everyday because i used to have UTI and i'm used to drinking water but main reason for overeating is lack of protein in my diet.