My belly is frustrating

Options
Okay, I've lost 52 pounds thus far and that is great woohoo... I feel I am doing pretty good turning my life around for healthier purposes, making healthier choices most days, and just getting more active. Great...
Anyway not the point.

I was so excited last month when taking measurements and my belly finally did not stick out as far as my chest. Than 2 days ago we took June's measurements and ... well... My chest shrank 2 inches and my gut only .5... Let the frustration begin.

So I am wondering what the hell?! I spend my mornings playing on the ground with my 4 year old daughter. By this I mean I do planks while she climbs all over me. Most evenings I am at rehearsal (I am a choreographer) and I dance for 2.5 hours. Helllo core workout! My tummy is on fire while dancing. Its great. I feel like I am really doing great. On the weekends the family and I go swimming. I spend an hour bending and stretching my legs in and out in awkward motions to keep my tummy fired. I focus on the lower ab, the center and upper to make sure to get a good focus workout for everywhere.

All the hard work for 5 months and my gut is still HUGE. Now, I still have over 100 pounds to lose, so I am not expecting a flat defined tummy. But it was so nice to have a month where my chest was the body part that stuck out the most! Now...I look pregnant again...

This is a problem on more than just vanity levels. Clothing is tremendously hard to fit now! Shirt that fit in the chest are way too tight in the belly. If I fit the belly, than the shirt is too big and my boobs are exposed.....

Dresses... forget that. If it fits my gut, then there is too much fabric in the chest area and I do a strip tease. Pants are fine, whatever I am short, and nothing ever fits.

So my question. Aside from doing all the ab workouts I can do while chasing two 4 year olds around a nine eyar old and an 11 year old. (cause I do do planks, wall push ups, crunches, leg lifts to work the lower abs and I DANCE. Not club dance, ballet tap and jazz dance. ) What am I missing? My cardio is Zumba which I make once a week, and a walk for 30-60 minutes as fast as I can go around my block.

Any ideas?

Replies

• rzaloudek67
    Options
    I think we all struggle with that question...well, most of us! Reading the research...and from experience (past, not present...as I have been VERY lazy and gained ALL the lost weight back, and then some) your weight comes off all over your body...regardless of where you target your exercise. 'Experts' lately have encouraged at least 3 servings of milk/milk products, citing studies that have shown that to help reduce belly fat. However, your body decides where it will come off as you continue your weight loss journey. Typically...the belly is the last to go. :(

Once you get to the weight that you desire, you will have great looking abs. Keep up the good work, and try not to get discouraged. You will have a smaller belly! It just takes time. Patience and time.
  • raleighgoodwins
    raleighgoodwins Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I can so relate and so can many if not most of the other women on here - especially those that have had children.

I think if you just keep going and focusing on losing weight and the exercises then you will see results eventually. I know it's frustrating. Personally, I tend to lose weight from the top down - face, neck, boobs, and so on. Which is annoying because usually I really need to lose it from my abs, hips, thighs and bum. But eventually it will happen.

I heard from someone else on here about a website called workoutlabs.com where you can find exercises that target the areas of the body that you want to work on. That might give you some ideas if you feel like you need change up your routine.

But truly - keep at it! you are doing great and although this is very frustrating I think you will have a breakthrough at some point.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I have, like, 7 lbs left to lose. And every one of them is on my belly. I feel ya.
  • Petrapoo45
    Petrapoo45 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    yep, I hear ya...I made a post earlier venting my own frustrations about losing 30lbs and only dropping 1 pant size!! All I can say from my own personal experience is its super hard to target certain regions...just keep on keeping on and eventually it will have to fall off sooner or later!! haha...lets hope :happy:
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I have, like, 7 lbs left to lose. And every one of them is on my belly. I feel ya.

*Sigh*

Me, too.

Unfortunately it seems that whatever part you want to lose fat the most is the last to go. Guess it makes sense. It was probably the first to put on the fat, which is why you're so focused on wanting it gone.
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    The belly is giving me a hard time too... Last measurement I took my hips lost an inch and the belly stayed the same...:grumble: :explode: :mad: :angry:

I'm more of a pear shape so I don't understand why this is happening. I've never had a big belly for my size, whatever that size was... I'm even starting to get scared about my body shape changing as I'm losing weight.... Is this even possible? Is there any people here that lost weight and their body shape changed?

I started panicking a bit about that so to calm down a bit on that subject I just told myself that the belly fat would probably come off last....when the rest is gone this will go down. I guess time will tell but it does worry me and frustrate me, I've always loved having a flat belly with big hips...