New to MFP... Any advice? Here's what my day looks like

Options
Hello Everyone,

My name is Ken, I am a 27 year old male, 5'11, 220 lbs. I would consider that I am in overall okay shape. I have been stagnant the last year or so... not doing much working out at all which has caused me to gain about 25 lbs. I found myself starting to drink a lot more alcohol recently which in turn was causing me to eat out (bar food) more. I was a heavy drinker probably averaging about a case (24 beers) a week of light beer.
About a week ago I have decided to get my life pointing in the right direction. I have stopped drinking alcohol completely. I have started eating very healthy and working out religiously. Although I feel a hell of a lot better, the scale is not reflecting the hard work I am putting in.

Here is a sample of what my day looks like:

- When I wake up I'll eat about a cup of Kashi cereal with blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and mix it with a thing of vanilla yogurt.

-After my workout I will have a GNC Pro Performance Whey Protein Drink, and some fruit. And on lifting days (1 scoop of Cell-Tech)

- For lunch I will usually have a mixed green salad w/ boneless skinless chicken breast, tomato, cucumber, feta and light balsamic.

-My mid afternoon snack usually consists of a piece of fruit with some peanut butter and a pc. of jerky or beef stick.

-Dinner is usually a piece of chicken or fish with a veg and some Quinoa or sweet potato.

-Post dinner snack consists of either a piece of fruit or some veg with some light yogurt.

* The only liquid I put in my body is water more than a gallon a day... oh any protein shakes.

- My workout: which consists of about an hour of intense weight lifting (big muscle lifts: ie. Squats, Bench, Row, Deadlift, Clean & Jerk) and will hit the elliptical for about 30 mins on my lifting days post workout. I lift 3-4 days a week in the morning.

(SAMPLE) <4 sets>
Flat Bench Press (6-10 Reps)- 165 lbs
Bent Over Barbell Rows (6-10 Reps)- 145 lbs
Barbell Curls (6-10 Reps)- 95 lbs
Shrugs (6-10 Reps)- 185 lbs
Skull Crushers (6-10 Reps)- 65lbs
Squats (6-10 Reps)- 185 lbs
Resisted Sit-Ups (10-20 Reps)
Clean & Jerk (6-10 Reps)- 145 lbs

-On my non-lifting days I will do cardio. I have been doing a half hour when I get up and a half hour in the evening. (Jog, Elliptical on heavy resistance) or I will go on a 12 mile bike ride.

I have been diligent on what I put in my body, and have been consistent with my workouts, always giving them all I got. I have not touched a drop of alcohol. I have noticed my stomach has gotten a little smaller (I'm top heavy... I have chicken legs, I carry my weight in my belly and chest. ) Yet I have stayed right at 220-219 lbs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Think I am on the right path? My goal is to tone up the muscles Ive got while getting stronger and ultimately make this gut disappear. I feel my best when I am 185-190 lbs.

Replies

• alanbarta
    alanbarta Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Looks like you have a good well thought out plan. Cutting out the beer and pub grub sounds like it will help a lot. Good luck!
  • rangerftball51
    rangerftball51 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback alanbarta. I actually mis-spoke... I started a week ago at 222 lbs... I am now at 219... lost 3 in a week. So I guess its not too bad. but any recommendations (good or bad) would be greatly appreciated and considered