High Rise Stair Climbing

Options
I recently "discovered" stair climbing. I workout in the gym in my building every morning on the 11th floor. A couple of days ago I decided to climb the stairs from the 11th floor to the 21st floor after my workout. I went slow and really enjoyed it! Today after my workout I climbed from the 11th floor to my floor (the 48th floor). I took my time and really enjoyed it. It took 12 minutes. I sweated and breathed a bit harder than normal but felt good.
I told my husband about it and he thought I overdid it. I am a fit 59 year old who does about 90 minutes of elliptical, walking uphill at 3.6 on the treadmill 6 days a week and I also lift weights every other day. Can I have a heart attack or something adding the slow stair climbing?

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Not unless you have heart disease--and even then, maybe not. There is nothing inherently dangerous or overly strenuous about climbing stairs. It is a higher-intensity activity--although it can be moderated by going more slowly as you have done. If you have the fitness level to handle it, it is no different than any other cardio.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    you can have a heart attack while standing at a stoplight waiting for the light to turn green. if you are worried about it, schedule a doctors appointment and ask him to clear you for strenuous exercise. For anyone over 30-35 that hasn't done a hard workout in a while it's generally a good idea.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Thank-you for your replies! I did it again today and feel fine. I've been working out for years and have no history of heart problems so I think I'll be ok.
  • leona75
    leona75 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was wondering how to calculate calories for stair climbing? NOT on a treadmill...actual stairs? Any one??? Thanks :-)
  • c1aireee
    c1aireee Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I was wondering how to calculate calories for stair climbing? NOT on a treadmill...actual stairs? Any one??? Thanks :-)

I am wondering about this too ^^^