I HATE protein powder!

Options
Everything I have tried literally smells so bad that I gag. Any other suggestions? Is protein powder really necessary?

Replies

• DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    protein powder is never necessary

what brand did you buy lol?

I love mine
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Then buy a different brand/flavor.
  • Monica_SanDiego
    Monica_SanDiego Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Not necessary to your overall nutrition plan, but you can mix it with almond milk and frozen fruit and make a protein smoothie. I'm not sure how people mix their protein shakes with water and guzzle that stuff down though .. bleck.

monica.
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I don't see why protein powder is necessary at all...never got that craze.

Change some of your carbs for natural protein, in forms of egg whites, lean turkey or chicken etc. If you start the day with an omelet, reaching your protein goal is no problem at all.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    It's not necessary by any means. However, it does help me reach my protein goal. I really like Gold Standard Double Rich Chocolate. Tastes fine mixed with water, great mixed with milk.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is just a supplement, there's nothing necessary about it at all provided you get your protein with food. Also curious what kind you've tried. I think mine is delicious.
  • HM1971
    HM1971 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I added 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt with my strawberry flavor today. It made it a little smoother (blended it in the blender).
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have it as I'm vegetarian and have started weightlifting - when I looked at my macros my protein was well under. I did research to make sure I didn't get horrible tasting stuff! I got Optimum Nutrition Gold 100%Whey in Double Chocolate. I mix it with just over 200mls of semi skimmed milk and love it! Just tastes like a milkshake to me, and I am pretty fussy over tastes and textures :)
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is just a supplement, there's nothing necessary about it at all provided you get your protein with food. Also curious what kind you've tried. I think mine is delicious.

protein powder is food. whey is derived from milk. they have been eating whey for hundreds of years. this is just filtered
  • FitChickBritt
    FitChickBritt Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've always thought protein powder is nasty and stinks too. I have found 2 brands I like: Muscle milk light (Vanilla, Strawberry, or Banana- the chocolate stinks!) and protizyme yellow cake or peanut butter cookie. Also, I NEVER drink the protein powder. I don't like it that way. I will usually mix it with oatmeal and sometimes mix with egg whites and then cook them or make pancakes. Protein powder or protein shakes aren't really a necessity if you can't find one you like.
  • LeilaFace
    LeilaFace Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Totally with you I HATE protein powder and don't get it. however, i found the Isopure drinks taste like Gatorade ... I like them plus I don't have to mix anything.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    It's not necessary by any means. However, it does help me reach my protein goal. I really like Gold Standard Double Rich Chocolate. Tastes fine mixed with water, great mixed with milk.

I use that one too!! I love it!!
  • popsicklestar
    popsicklestar Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Never eat/drink anything you don't like. You'll just be unsatisfied and want to eat something else that you do like. I like shakes because they're a convenient way to get in a protein rich, balanced meal/snack. I use Arbonne protein powder, and it's pretty yummy with unsweetened almond milk. With some powders, I've felt that it only tasted good if I added a banana, and they always taste better blended in a good blender with ice.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I never bother with it - seems pretty damn expensive for a by-product, although back in the day when you were allowed to do that kinda thing, pigs seemed to do pretty well on rolled barley soaked in whey.

I just try to get my protein through diet.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Everything I have tried literally smells so bad that I gag. Any other suggestions? Is protein powder really necessary?

Good lord, no! Just eat MEAT! Rare beef, roast chicken stuffed with wild rice and mushrooms, pork chops, roast lamb with rosemary...yum.
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Yeah...protein powder is not necessary. There was a research study not too long ago showing that chocolate milk was just as effective after strength training as a protein shake at helping to build muscle. I don't have access to the CINAHL database now that I'm not a nursing student anymore, otherwise I'd attach it here. But they basically had a mixed population of both men and women, 18-40something years, half had a protein shake and half had 8oz of low fat chocolate milk after exercise. Same results.

It's true that you need some protein post-workout if you're trying to tone - but you don't need 70g, 5's fine. I like chocolate milk :)
  • tdslovey
    tdslovey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I make protein shakes as a meal replacement, usually breakfast. Occasionally for lunch if it is a light day.
    I use the one sold by Arbonne. If I have to buy it in the store, I like EAS.

Hubby likes muscle milk. I hate his and he hates mine.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Yeah...protein powder is not necessary. There was a research study not too long ago showing that chocolate milk was just as effective after strength training as a protein shake at helping to build muscle. I don't have access to the CINAHL database now that I'm not a nursing student anymore, otherwise I'd attach it here. But they basically had a mixed population of both men and women, 18-40something years, half had a protein shake and half had 8oz of low fat chocolate milk after exercise. Same results.

It's true that you need some protein post-workout if you're trying to tone - but you don't need 70g, 5's fine. I like chocolate milk :)

I tend to have a glass of milk and a banana post-workout. :smile:
  • sweetpeas317
    sweetpeas317 Posts: 44 Member
    Options

I tried so many but I found one thats great its Arbonne essentials and normally I like chocolate but a friend got me hooked on the vanilla, I use almond milk or just water and ice and add a tablespoon of peanut butter it really is so good.
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options

I tend to have a glass of milk and a banana post-workout. :smile:

Me too! Yummm :)