A Diet Bound To Fail

Options
I felt I had a great week last week. I was barely eating and I had thought that was a good thing. Eating once a day sometimes twice a day. Then the weekend came when I went too the gym and I felt even better until Sunday when I worked out in the morning then later that afternoon I went absolutely crazy on candy.

Now I have all this damn guilt about eating stuff I know I am not suppose to. Is that normal too feel that way.

Also about dieting, is it better too eat 3 small meals then eat once or twice a day?

Replies

• ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I felt I had a great week last week. I was barely eating and I had thought that was a good thing. Eating once a day sometimes twice a day. Then the weekend came when I went too the gym and I felt even better until Sunday when I worked out in the morning then later that afternoon I went absolutely crazy on candy.

Now I have all this damn guilt about eating stuff I know I am not suppose to. Is that normal too feel that way.

Also about dieting, is it better too eat 3 small meals then eat once or twice a day?

Well, it's NOT good to barely eat. Are you eating close to your calorie goal for the day?
  • Shannon0218
    Shannon0218 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Bot even. I am suppose to eat 1240 and I am eating some days anywhere from 380-600...I think this weekend was the only 2 days where I ate close too 1000...But that's cuz I pigged out on candy :(
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    You need to eat. A lot more than 300 a day.
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat low calorie, so this is significant coming from me. EAT MORE.

When you say you felt good when you were barely eating, exactly what do you mean? Do you normally have a problem with high blood sugar? If so, I can see that you might start feeling better after a few days of barely eating because your blood sugar would probably drop to a normal range.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    OP,
    At least eat what your BMR is. On those days you exercise, at least eat some of your calories back. Barely eating isn't going to help you loose weight.

Also, in order to respond in a more meaningful way, what is your current weight and what is your goal weight? What is your BMR and do you know your BF% How much did you set yourself to loose weekly? What did you set your activity level at?
  • alanbarta
    alanbarta Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree with what the others have said. You need to eat way more than 300 calories (otherwise you body goes into a starvation mode and your metabolism slows down).
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

Its better to not diet. Just eat less and move more forever. It really IS that simple. :)
  • dcroff1
    dcroff1 Posts: 1
    Options
    It's actually better to eat several (4-6) small meals per day rather than 1-2 larger meals. Eating more frequently reduces your hunger level so you're less hungry when you eat smaller meals. It also keeps your metabolism working.

It's completely normal to fall off the wagon, but don't allow yourself to use that as an excuse not to get right back on track. Remember, it's a lifestyle you're changing and that takes time!
  • Runhard13
    Runhard13 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Eating that low is why you pig out other days of the week like others said your body is literally starving
  • PostiveThinker
    PostiveThinker Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You need to eat a small meal at least every 4 hours (with the exception of the evening hours). Your body and brain need fuel. This program is a great way to gage what you're taking in calorie and nutrition-wise. Use it! It's an eye opener. But eating like you are is actually making your body think it's in starvation mode and add fat to get your through what it interprets as it may not get a meal for a while so it adds fat to sustain you.

Eat 4 mini meals, 300 calories each and exercise. Eating like that will also help with the binging because you wont' be so hungry and grabbing for ANYTHING, especially the bad stuff. Working out helps you feel better, inside and out and people who workout tend to eat healthier because you feel better and want to continue that feeling, but also you don't want to sabotage your efforts.

I've been passionate about health and nutrition my whole life and if I can offer any support or ideas, please feel free to contact me.

I love this program and know others who have used it really help them regain their healthy weights.

Good luck to you!
  • FocusEnergy
    Options
    I've eaten less than 1000 calories a day for about a month straight and within the first two weeks I started to become light headed. And every time I stood up everything would quickly go white. I was eating healthy and I couldn't understand why my body was doing this. Then I learned that eating less than 1000 calories a day was really risky for me and I didn't get enough nutrients for my body to fully function. I also found out that I have iron deficiency and I passed out in public two times because of eating less than I really should. You can eat 1200 calories a day and feel full and refreshed. You just need to pick the right foods though and eat small amounts through out the day or eat at the times when you're most hungry.
  • dharmageek
    Options
    As far as having a bad day goes, it was only a bad day. Dust yourself off and get back on track, you can do this :smile: To help prevent having more bad days, eat more calories so your body isn't pushing you toward quick energy fixes like candy and build in room for treats so it isn't falling off your diet it is an optional planned indulgence.
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    HI! Congrats on your success, and don't be too harsh on your candy failure...happens to everyone! Just learn from your mistakes, or try to anyways.

It's best to eat more meals of smaller proportions to keep your metabolism going.

Best of luck! :-)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    join intermittent fasters here, its a great group.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Bot even. I am suppose to eat 1240 and I am eating some days anywhere from 380-600...I think this weekend was the only 2 days where I ate close too 1000...But that's cuz I pigged out on candy :(

Meeting your NET calorie goal of 1240 would be a good thing. What you are doing is not in any way healthy or good. You do realize that your body burns a **** ton of calories just being alive, pumping your heart, lungs, etc right? You need to properly fuel your body. Your 1240 NET calorie GOAL already has about 800-1000 calories deficit from your maintenance level of calories on average. That's plenty...eat ****ing food....
  • Wilbur_NOLA
    Wilbur_NOLA Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how many meals you eat or how often you eat them. What matters is that you are in a caloric deficit, (not one as extreme as yours). Studies have PROVEN that meal size/frequency does not affect your metabolic rate nor your ability to burn fat. It really just boils down to what is easier for you. Is it easier to eat 6-7 small meals of 3 large meals? To be honest, none of that even matters if you're starving yourself because your body is going to get to a point where your metabolism slows to a crawl due to a lack of calories.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494

"...there is no evidence that weight loss on hypoenergetic regimens is altered by meal frequency. We conclude that any effects of meal pattern on the regulation of body weight are likely to be mediated through effects on the food intake side of the energy balance equation."
  • Shannon0218
    Shannon0218 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your input that really helped...You guys are making me feel so much better :)
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    You have or are developping an eating disorder. Get some professional help.