My toes fall asleep!

Options
Every time I do cardio on the machines, my toes completely fall asleep after just a few minutes. I feel like I could do so much more, but I'm constantly stopping ever 3 to 4 minutes to regain feeling back in my toes! I'm thinking maybe this is because I'm 100 lbs overweight, and once the weight comes off it will get better, but I really wanted to get some opinions or experiences from other people to see if this is normal, or how to fix it?? So embarrassing!

Thanks! :)

Replies

• tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one.

I've lost 40 pounds and my toes still fall asleep. (You're doing the elliptical, right?) I've tried different shoes, different foot positions, different insoles. Now I'e simply stopped doing the elliptical. I use the treadmill.

I realize this is not helpful. I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone has any answers.
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Might need bigger shoes. You need to have some extra space for your feet to expand. I measure at a 7.5 sitting, an 8 when I stand, and when I work out, my feet swell a bit (that's normal). You might need to wear a half or even a full size up to give your feet some room.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Weird... Sounds like a circulation problem. What kind of shoes are you wearing? Do they fit well? That's the first thing I would play with.
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    This is normal. My toes fall asleep on the elliptical. I find that rocking my weight back on my heels for a few seconds every now and then helps.

They won't fall off, keep going.
  • gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    The problem may have only a little to do with your weight. The same thing happens to me, or something like it, when I do excercises that keep my foot in contact with pedals or platforms while the rest of my body moves. If you can try moving your foot in a more natural walking motion while on the machine, that could help. I also recommend visiting a podiatrist who might diagnose a problem that can be fixed with physical therapy or orthotics or both. Make sure you have the right shoes for the exercise you do most often, too, and replace them at least once a year.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    You should do a forum search for feet falling asleep. It sounds like this is a common problem. I'm not sure what to say as far as advice on the situation, but I know I've seen other threads about this same thing!

Good luck :)
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    You should be concentrating on driving your weight down with your heel. The elliptical is the most effective this way. It helps tone your butt and the backs of your thighs better. It should also help keep your toes awake :wink:
  • aTallLiam
    aTallLiam Posts: 75
    Options
    Sometimes my toes tell me when they are sleepy, so I stop exercising and let them rest.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Mine do this too, check how tight your laces are...and maybe get fitted for an awesome pair of shoes. wiggle your toes as much as possible or take a step up with the elliptical. It is uncomfortable, even try different socks, maybe your socks are to thick for your runners.
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    I used to have that issue with the cross trainer. Bigger shoes may be an option. I notice my feet do swell a bit and so I buy Size UK9 trainers (US10). I am normallu a UK8 (US9).
  • gkstrss007
    Options
    Wow thanks for the responses! I'm so glad I'm not the only one, however, the problem really does suck! lol

Yes, I'm mostly doing the elliptical, but sometimes I'll do a stair stepper. The shoes I have are Reebok runners. I think they fit okay. I have room for my toes to move and all that. I thought it might be circulation too. I gained a ton of weight, fairly quickly, so it makes sense.

Baby steps, I suppose. :)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Ah, if it's an elliptical, I do have a suggestion. You're at the gym, so you must have access to a treadmill. Try walking on a treadmill at an incline. Your typical elliptical machine does not seem to engage the calves very much, so you don't get as much circulation in your lower legs. That's just a theory, mind you, but it could help.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Weird. This just became an issue for me! It doesn't matter if I'm running in my running shoes, or cross trainers, my toes start tingling after half a mile.
  • Brandysjourney
    Options
    Look up Morton's Neuroma. It is from wearing shoes with a toe box that is too small for your feet. I love Nikes but after years of squeezing my feet in them I now have a neuroma. My toes fall asleep no matter what I do. But definitely try putting more weigh thru the heels, helps a little. But a steroid injection helped the most. Good Luck
  • dturnerak
    dturnerak Posts: 1
    Options
    This happens to me when I run, usually starts at about two miles in. According to a PT I saw when I hurt my quads at some point, I have a major strength imbalance in my right hip (it's only my right side that goes numb). As my hips get tired, I start to drop that side down instead of keeping the hip even on the heel strike. It pinches nerves that are in the hip socket and causes the numb feeling. Here's what I find helps:
    - Pay really close attention to your form when running or on the elliptical. Mind you don't drop your hips on the down-motion or the heel-strike.
    - Try Pilates. The hips workouts (bicycle, leg circles, etc.) are especially good for this.
    - Get strength bands, the ones that are a loop, and use those to strengthen your hips 2x per day, 5x week (or work up to that time). This has made the most difference for me and is what my PT had me work on.

There are a couple different exercises the PT gave me for the bands:
    1) lay on your side (you can prop up on your elbow) with your hips centered over each other. Put the band around your ankle and do small leg raises (6-8 inches up only).
    2) still on your side, put the band around your knees (you may have to double it). Bend your knees so your ankles are in line with your hips. Keeping your ankles together, separate your knees to stretch the band
    3) stand up and put the band at your knees. In a squat position with your feet slightly more than hip-distance apart, 'crab-walk' from side to side, stretching the band at each step. This one is hard, because you really have to stick out your butt to get in the right position. Almost like you're preparing to sit down in a chair.

Bigger shoes or loosening your laces might help. Also check to make sure the arch is in the right place for your foot shape, and the tie isn't forcing the tongue of the shoe to pinch across the top of your ankle. If you have a good running store nearby, many of them can analyze your stride to help you with shoe fit, even if you primarily use an elliptical.

Hope that helps. It's really frustrating to have your toes go numb when you're in the middle of a good workout. I've had it go all the way up to my knee before - such a strange feeling.
  • CristyMusicLovr
    CristyMusicLovr Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    That happens to me too! It has to do with your toes being too close to the pedal and your shoes sometimes.
  • CristyMusicLovr
    CristyMusicLovr Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Look up Morton's Neuroma. It is from wearing shoes with a toe box that is too small for your feet. I love Nikes but after years of squeezing my feet in them I now have a neuroma. My toes fall asleep no matter what I do. But definitely try putting more weigh thru the heels, helps a little. But a steroid injection helped the most. Good Luck

Yeah I read about it...sounds like me OMG! TY! What kind of sneakers do you wear?
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options

Yeah I read about it...sounds like me OMG! TY! What kind of sneakers do you wear?

The sneakers another person wears doesn't matter. Get yourself professionally fitted for the right pair for you. Wile you are at it, get fitted insoles.
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    This is normal. My toes fall asleep on the elliptical. I find that rocking my weight back on my heels for a few seconds every now and then helps.

They won't fall off, keep going.

Agreed!