Newbie!(: What keeps you going?

Options
New here feel free to add as a friend, motivation is always a plus! :-) Ive started diets many times but for some reason never follow through, I want to see results right away and when I don't..sadly I quit. What keeps everyone going?

Replies

• aTallLiam
    aTallLiam Posts: 75
    Options
    Me too, I must have dieted at least 10 times in my life, but never stuck with it.
    Gonna keep with it now, because once you lose those first 10lbs it feels amazing.

I sent you a FR.
  • hikerhoney78
    Options
    I don't need to lose weight really, but I was pretty sedentary over the winter and my diet has never been that great (too much beer!).

I want to hike Mt. Washington this summer and in light of that goal I've decided to start eating clean(er) and really getting "with it" in terms of exercise. I'm about 6 weeks in now and feeling awesome!

What keeps me going is knowing how much better I feel (both emotionally and physically) when I'm eating well and exercising
  • Runhard13
    Runhard13 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Its about feeling great daily..looking great is just a bonus..feel free to add!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    What has kept me going this time that didn't all the other times is that I finally got it into my head that its not a diet. Its a life change. I will eat this way for the rest of my life, not until I lose some weight. After a year, its become a habit and I just do it now. :)
  • changingmylife85
    Options
    Don't expect results right away. I've been counting calories to the bare minimum for my conditions and excercising mildly for the last week, and I've only lost a pound...and 64 to go!
  • kandienicole
    Options
    The feeling I get from healthy eating...the great sleep I get from working out more...those two things combined keep me going...and come the visible results!! Keep with it...it is so worth it! And feel free to add me if you would like...
  • Gizzy1976
    Gizzy1976 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've dieted on and off for 25 years, but this time I'm not on a diet I'm healthy eating, making healthier choices. I've lost 84 lbs and have 29lbs to go to get to goal and I feel amazing. I've had the odd blip where I've eaten everything in sight but instead of giving up like i have every other time I've dieted I've just carried on. It's a great buzz seeing the scales going down every week. Good luck on your journey, feel free to add ???? x
  • Garlicmash
    Garlicmash Posts: 208
    Options
    you have to be in the right mind set first .
    you have to not over think about things too much like the exercise and just go and do it.
    I've been using walking for my exercise and I'm 15lbs down since January and still going.
    when you get into the swing of it ,under stand what you need to do for it to work then you start to enjoy it,you feel great every day and full of energy.
  • Sarah_Roop
    Sarah_Roop Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    When I get to the point where I feel it's not worth it, I just look back at old pictures of myself and see how far I've come. This is what worked for me in the beginning too, just looking at pictures of how others saw me, and knowing I could be so much better, healthier, and in shape.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Success stories and the fact that I almost died from my previous craptastic health regimen.
  • CritterSue
    CritterSue Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    This is my first day here. Hoping by keeping a journal it will help me keep it real. I don't want to be skinny-just healthy. No more diets-they don't work. It really is about lifestyle changes. Hoping I can stick with this and stop beating myself up!
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I like bench marks. Do a workout video, go for a run, climb a local hill. Remember how it feels now. After a month or two of working out and losing weight, come back and do that same activity one more time. See how it feels the second time.

I like to have things to look forward to. For me it's finishing a 5k, 10k maybe a triathalon, etc... you can spin your tires all you want on an elliptical, but you won't be getting anywhere. Hop on your bike and see what the world has to offer!
  • NeverTooLateForChange
    NeverTooLateForChange Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Everyday I remember how awful I felt a yeat ago and how glad I am to have stuck with this journey. I feel awesome. I have energy and drive and I have fitness goals that I know are attainable. I keep myself going and my friends on here keep me going as well. They are the real secret. Through thick and thin MFP are always there for me.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    "Well here are two long-term weight management truisms for you. If you can't happily eat less, you're not going to eat less. And if you can't happily exercise more, you're not going to exercise more. Next time you're considering a new diet or other weight-loss technique, ask yourself a simple question: "Could I happily continue living this way?" If the answer is no, you're just wasting your time. Ultimately, weight lost through suffering almost always finds its way back. You need to like your life." - Dr. Yoni Freedhoff

I like my life!
  • buckshot1969
    Options
    My boyfriend was 320 lbs a very heavy drinker, he was on high blood pressure medication, stomach medication, joint pain medication. One day he just said ENOUGH he watched videos on Juicing whole fresh fruits and veggies he did a thirty day fast, stopped drinking and started exercising in less then two months he has lost 55lbs. He is already off all medications his aches are very few and he is full of life and energy again. If he can stop drinking, and get healthy so can I, of course he is a man and loses faster UGH drives me crazy but I am chugging along. I lost 5lbs prior to finding this app. so I have lost 25.6lbs in close to three months and I feel great. He reminds me every day babe its a lifestyle adopt it because we are NEVER going back!!
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    What keeps me going is seeing how much more I can do now. It's only been a few months, but there have been definite improvements, like being able to walk by the river with my friend after a picnic. Not only that, but being able to keep up a conversation! Seeing that I started only being able to do 16 min. total cardio, and am now up to 50. (It would be more but that elliptical is a killer - I can only do 5 min there yet!) Going to the gym this morning, and then to Costco afterwards, and not having my knee and feet kill me until I am walking to the car. I never would have imagined I could do BOTH things in one day. It's all the little things adding up. I hate going to the gym, but when the alarm rings, I get up and go because it's the only way I will get myself strong enough to do some of the things I have missed all these years, and to do some things I want to do before I die, which I am striving to make later rather than sooner considering the way things were going!
  • juzangel2
    juzangel2 Posts: 3
    Options
    OK...I JUST HAD MY FIRST "AH HA" MOMENT!!! I'M LEARNING SOO MUCH ABOUT HOW MY BODY RESPONSES TO WHAT I PUT IN TO IT ! IVE STARTED OUT JUST WANTING TO LOSE WEIGHT AND NOT BE SOO TIRED AFTER WAKING UP. SOO, I STARTED THE DIET ROUTINE (RESTRICTING THIS AND THAT) AND WELL, NOT SEEING ANY MAJOR RESULTS???
    SOO, I STARTED WRITING DOWN WHAT I ATE AND HOW I FELT THAT DAY...AND THEN IT HAPPNED !! I NOTICED IT DEPENDED ON WHAT I ATE THAT DAY...DETERMINED HOW MUCH ENERGY AND FOCUS I HAD! REALLY??? I JUST NEVER PAID MY BODY THAT MUCH ATTENTION BEFORE. NOW, I AM MINDFUL OF WHAT I EAT, NOT JUST THE CARBS OR THE CALORIES BUT WHAT'S IN IT? IS IT PROCESSED OR FRIED? AND HOW DID I FEEL AFTER I ATE IT, BETTER? NOPE! SOO, I TRIED IT...I ATE SOME PROTEIN AND FRESH VEGGIES AND ASKED MY SELF AFTER...HOW DO YOU FEEL? AND TO MY OWN SURPRISE...MY BODY COULD NOT DENY, I FELT GOOD, NOT WORSE. SOO, I'M CONVINCED, THERE'S NO TRICK, MY BODY PERFORMS BETTER ON GOOD QUALITY FOOD. WEIGHT LOSE I'M SURE WILL COME NOW!!!
    6/10/13 177 LBS
    GOAL 145