New To Running

Options
Okay, I want to get into Running.
the Couch to 5 K was kind of boring to me not sure why.
So My question is...Is it okay to Start off running and keep going til I can't go anymore( and time it)
then the next day shot for more?
Just curious how every one else started?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Start slow. If you over do it, and you're totally brand new to it, you can injure yourself or burn yourself out. You don't strictly have to follow C25K, but I'd suggest doing walk/run intervals and a slow pace to begin with.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I have restarted several times doing it the same way. Run 4 times a week for 3 miles. Run as far as I could each time and then used run walk intervals to finish the 3 miles. Each time run further.

In the past it has taken me anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks to get back to running 3 miles (depending on how out of shape I had gotten).
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Each time I tried running by just going out and running until I couldn't anymore, I always felt bad afterward and then just blew it off. I always end up doing the same thing with strength training.

The incremental approach of C25K helped me build up a love for running. Now I go out and run whatever time or distance I can, whenever I can.

But again, if that works for you and you don't overdo it...go for it.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Each time I tried running by just going out and running until I couldn't anymore, I always felt bad afterward and then just blew it off. I always end up doing the same thing with strength training.

The incremental approach of C25K helped me build up a love for running. Now I go out and run whatever time or distance I can, whenever I can.

^^ THIS^^ !!
  • anj1030
    anj1030 Posts: 153 Member
    Options

^^ THIS^^ !!

^^^^^ I 3rd this!!! ^^^^^
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do C25k, it's not for everyone. I do suggest intervals if you're starting out. It makes it easier to build your endurance, which is the most important part of running. Speed comes later. Start slow and build on your intervals. Invest in a good pair of shoes and listen to your body. It's just awful to get sidelined for weeks because you pushed too hard and hurt something.
  • vjm1234
    vjm1234 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am a former athlete that has let myself go. After having 2 children and gaining weight with each child, I am now ready to claim my body back and transform myself into the new me. I want to start running as part of my overall fitness, but it hurts due to all the extra weight. Does anyone have any suggestions. I'd like to even set my first goal to do a 5k in November ... on Thanksgiving Day. Thoughts?
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Alternative to C25K written by my coach.

http://chrunners.net/forum/index.php?topic=79127.0
  • lblert
    lblert Posts: 55
    Options
    I tried the traditional C25K program app on my phone and didn't enjoy it at all. I switched to the Zombies 5K training app and love it. I actually look forward to doing my training now.